What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

But that's sorta consistent with the clause. It would've been dumb for Bateman not to exercise it. It's a dumb clause that the raiders shouldn't be agreed to.

Well Bateman is back in the old dart now - yet still active on the socials taking potshots at the club who paid his transfer and who he signed a sizeable contract with to play for multiple seasons.. So it didnt really work out for him as he hoped..

Aside from that, personally I hate it when players play funny buggers with trying to get out of contracts, play "hard done by", drop their bottom lip and do whatever it takes to get what they want.

Bateman isn't the only one... although many had the same manager as he did. Mr Isaac Moses. What a fine upstanding player agent he's proved to be..

TheDMC

Bench
i dont see how that changes in a week or even a month off work. H

I dont see how that situation changes with a week off... this will be an issue we have to manage week to week, and in a lost season, why bother putting the poor guy through that? Let him go home now and he and his partner can get on with their lives surrounded by a loving and supportive family and hopefully the helps him return to full health, mentally.

That's a pretty black and white view of things, Dr. Nick. Maybe a week off is exactly what the (other) doctor ordered.

nick87

Coach
That's a pretty black and white view of things, Dr. Nick. Maybe a week off is exactly what the (other) doctor ordered.

It may well be what the doctor ordered, but the idea that he just needs a week off to shake it off and then knuckle down for another 3 months of focused footy? Na i just dont buy that.

If his mental health is at such a point where we're now talking about managing the guy week to week, then what are doing here? There is nothing to salvaged for this year, our season is over. Why put him and his family through it to try and finish 10th instead of 13th.

We've also got some halfback options internally we'd like to probably get a look at. An immediate release is in the best interests of the club and provides Goerge the quickest possible route back home where he and family can be happy again.

Again, the issue is the club not having the f**king brains or emotional intellegence to understand that as much as they may not have liked or wanted to pay him any longer, compromising and negotiating financial terms on a release to save this PR disaster would have been firmly put in the "money well spent" category

Vee

First Grade
My inference is that if he's so unwell mentally that he cant face work, i dont see how that changes in a week or even a month off work. He's not coping, i have no doubts about that. He would like to go home and i fully support him in that desire

I agree the club thinks he withdrew his labour to send a message, which is why they reacted so rashly. I agree that players see it as you describe it, which is why they're rightly pissed off.

Im talking specifically of George. He has made it clear he needs to go home for his own well being. I dont see how that situation changes with a week off... this will be an issue we have to manage week to week, and in a lost season, why bother putting the poor guy through that? Let him go home now and he and his partner can get on with their lives surrounded by a loving and supportive family and hopefully the helps him return to full health, mentally.
Except it wasn't a mutual release and that's where I think the Raiders have left themselves open.

Vee

First Grade
It may well be what the doctor ordered, but the idea that he just needs a week off to shake it off and then knuckle down for another 3 months of focused footy? Na i just dont buy that.

If his mental health is at such a point where we're now talking about managing the guy week to week, then what are doing here? There is nothing to salvaged for this year, our season is over. Why put him and his family through it to try and finish 10th instead of 13th.

We've also got some halfback options internally we'd like to probably get a look at. An immediate release is in the best interests of the club and provides Goerge the quickest possible route back home where he and family can be happy again.

Again, the issue is the club not having the f**king brains or emotional intellegence to understand that as much as they may not have liked or wanted to pay him any longer, compromising and negotiating financial terms on a release to save this PR disaster would have been firmly put in the "money well spent" category
I agree with the last paragraph.

Perth Red

Post Whore

two things, first of all you don’t know what’s stressing him out right now, it is in all likelihood canberras continued refusal to release him at the end of the year. Sorting that out might well be all he needs to feel ok and get back out there, secondly they should have talked to him about it and if he wanted to go now. In effect they’ve sacked him with no real legit reason, he has said he’s ok to stay till end of season. hence why he has got the Rlpa involved and his team mates are spewing at his treatment. Cluster f**k by raiders but this is Ricky so no one is surprised. No ones ever going to jump on a mine for Ricky,

bileduct

Coach
two things, first of all you don’t know what’s stressing him out right now, it is in all likelihood canberras continued refusal to release him at the end of the year. Sorting that out might well be all he needs to feel ok and get back out there, secondly they should have talked to him about it and if he wanted to go now. In effect they’ve sacked him with no real legit reason, he has said he’s ok to stay till end of season. hence why he has got the Rlpa involved and his team mates are spewing at his treatment. Cluster f**k by raiders but this is Ricky so no one is surprised. No ones ever going to jump on a mine for Ricky,
The Raiders paid a pretty hefty transfer feed for him, guy, they're entitled to expect him to hold up his end of the contract and they've made reasonable efforts to try and deal with his homesickness issues... If they're even real.

You don't know what's happening behind the scenes either. I normally don't take Hooper seriously at all, but if there's any truth to his reporting that his agent was putting out feelers to get him to another NRL club at the end of 2021 then the Raiders have good reason to be suspicious about his actions. If he's suddenly unable to play after having another request to end his contract earlier, then best to f**k him off now. He wants out, and the Raiders want to move beyond him so they've drawn up the paperwork which, I might add, he hasn't signed yet. So he hasn't been sacked yet. He's been given the option to walk now and he appears to be balking. So much for being depressed with homesickness, eh?

I don't know how the transfer system works, but if the Raiders let him go, and then he signs with a Super League club they might not have to pay a transfer fee because he's effectively a free agent. If UK clubs aren't negotiating with the Raiders to transfer him then why should they let him go and get nothing in return when it's super f**king obvious he'll be back at Wigan or some other Super League club next year?

George wants to have it all on his own terms. He wants out of his contract early, and he wants to get paid for not playing. f**k that shit.

shear_joy9

Coach

he wants to leave, Canberra have said you can leave now and be with your family. Alternatively they could have just said f**k no your not leaving until the end of your contract and we will fine you every day you don’t turn up to training/matches.

betcats

Referee
The Raiders paid a pretty hefty transfer feed for him, guy, they're entitled to expect him to hold up his end of the contract and they've made reasonable efforts to try and deal with his homesickness issues... If they're even real.

You don't know what's happening behind the scenes either. I normally don't take Hooper seriously at all, but if there's any truth to his reporting that his agent was putting out feelers to get him to another NRL club at the end of 2021 then the Raiders have good reason to be suspicious about his actions. If he's suddenly unable to play after having another request to end his contract earlier, then best to f**k him off now. He wants out, and the Raiders want to move beyond him so they've drawn up the paperwork which, I might add, he hasn't signed yet. So he hasn't been sacked yet. He's been given the option to walk now and he appears to be balking. So much for being depressed with homesickness, eh?

I don't know how the transfer system works, but if the Raiders let him go, and then he signs with a Super League club they might not have to pay a transfer fee because he's effectively a free agent. If UK clubs aren't negotiating with the Raiders to transfer him then why should they let him go and get nothing in return when it's super f**king obvious he'll be back at Wigan or some other Super League club next year?

George wants to have it all on his own terms. He wants out of his contract early, and he wants to get paid for not playing. f**k that shit.

Your dumb f**k management is going to have to pay him a settlement or go to court with him if they can’t settle it and get him to agree to the release so he might end up having his cake and eating it because your management are amateur.

skeepe

Immortal
Your dumb f**k management is going to have to pay him a settlement or go to court with him if they can’t settle it and get him to agree to the release so he might end up having his cake and eating it because your management are amateur.

Nah.

nick87

Coach
Yep, I think it’s a pretty strong possibility that this ends with some financial settlement
Probably not as much as George wants, and more than what we want. Everyone will walk away feeling they got ripped off which is probably a good sign of a fair deal

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they had any sense as soon as it was clear he def wanted out they should have been on the phone to Leeds and Wigan seeing if they wanted to buy his contract out, not that the transfer fee matters to them, one night at the pokies for the club to cover it.

bileduct

Coach
Why wouldn't he agree to the release?

Wouldn't going home immediately resolve his homesickness and depression issues?