What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

bileduct

Coach
Flights aren't exactly in abundance and the process to leave isn't exactly quick and easy.
A quick search for flights from Canberra to London reveals plenty of options, and not having to go to work anymore certainly helps to get your affairs in order and f**k off earlier.

Valheru

Coach
Flights aren't exactly in abundance and the process to leave isn't exactly quick and easy.

The process to leave is the same as it always has been if you are travelling on anything other than an Australian passport.

Add to that the UK doesn't require people flying from Australia to quarantine anymore.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Look, I'd not want to make light of depression. Depression, when it is an actual affliction, is a horrible thing to go through.

But when you sign a $700k contract for 3 years, you have unprotected sex with your partner which results in her becoming pregnant, then you decide you'd rather move back to England...that's not depression. That's life not being ideal. That's not mental illness.

I'm afraid I side with the Raiders. 100%. Williams wants a release and wants it on his terms, when the Raiders paid his transfer fee then signed him on huge money as an unproven NRL player? f**k off. If you say you're wanting a release, that means you're not committed. The Raiders need to start planning for next season without you, and if they play you they know you're not in it.

For once, the club has won in the usual player power battle that ends up siding with the player.

Incorrect

Coach
I've got no bias either way on this..

But the situation would not be how it is if the player - who signed a 7-figure, 3 year contract - requested to get out of it.

It all starts with him. And finishes with him.

Both Gareth Widdop & George Williams are English players who cited "homesickness" as a reason to their clubs in order return home. But that's where the similarities end for me.

The difference between this case and Widdop as I see it is that Widdop had spent a long time in Australia, and served his employer/club (the Dragons) for many seasons and added value to that team. They were better for him being there. The release, while not ideal for the Dragons, was still respectful and mutual - because of how he'd served the club.

Williams spent one season here, then wanted a release. End of season or otherwise.. One season.... A guy who the Raiders had spent transfer fees on ($200k or so??), committed to 7 figures over 3 years, with a competitive squad around him which had reached the grand final only a year before...

The team has declined since he's come to the Raiders. They are performing worse each season since he's been there. That's not all on him but for a guy who signed for a princely sum to want to quit after only 1 season says far more about him than the Raiders club.
Just catching up on this thread so late to the party, but surely a person is more likely to be homesick and realise he's made a mistake after a short stint than a long stint, not the other way around? As an example, my parents moved here from 12000 miles away in the 70's, my Mum hated it during the first 12 months, dreaded the move and all her family were back home.... They stuck it out though and now, she'd live nowhere else.... She hasn't got a bad left to right passing game actually, Ricky should give her a call....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just catching up on this thread so late to the party, but surely a person is more likely to be homesick and realise he's made a mistake after a short stint than a long stint, not the other way around? As an example, my parents moved here from 12000 miles away in the 70's, my Mum hated it during the first 12 months, dreaded the move and all her family were back home.... They stuck it out though and now, she'd live nowhere else.... She hasn't got a bad left to right passing game actually, Ricky should give her a call....
How is she with Texers???

Yeah i probably used the wrong term "homesick" when referring to Widdop...

I have a vast friend-base of pommies. Many came out here travelling in their early 20's and have stayed, settled down and the like..

But when the kids come along that's when the reality can settle in. Parents aren't "just a flight away" to see as there's kids to consider. Then there's the support network - most/all their family is back in the UK - especially if both parents are English..

I'm not speaking for Widdop or saying I know his personal situation inside out but it didnt surprise me he sought a return to the UK - as disappointing as it was. But he discussed it respectfully with the club - they agreed to seeing out the 2018 season... all done with respect.

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
Perhaps the truth of the matter is his wife wants to go home to have her baby and it’s not George who’s homesick

Perhaps the truth of the matter is his wife wants to go home to have her baby and it’s not George who’s homesick

Exactly this, it’s not rocket science is it?

Either way, just because somebody has asked to renegotiate the terms of their contract, and then called in sick, doesn’t give the employer the right to unilaterally break that contract. That’s not how the law works, no matter how much Furner would like it to be (and stinks on a human level anyway)

Reactions: Vee

Danish

Referee
The pile of shit Sticky is getting his news Ltd mates to dump on George Williams head is really going to do some long term damage to the club’s recruitment ability.

raiders to be paying massive overs to attract any player while Stuart remains at the helm you’d think

shear_joy9

Coach
Exactly this, it’s not rocket science is it?

Either way, just because somebody has asked to renegotiate the terms of their contract, and then called in sick, doesn’t give the employer the right to unilaterally break that contract. That’s not how the law works, no matter how much Furner would like it to be (and stinks on a human level anyway)

they haven't broken any contract, they have just offered him a release. Which you would think he be more than happy to sign since he's so desperate to get back home...

shear_joy9

Coach
The pile of shit Sticky is getting his news Ltd mates to dump on George Williams head is really going to do some long term damage to the club’s recruitment ability.

raiders to be paying massive overs to attract any player while Stuart remains at the helm you’d think

when has that ever not been the case? The whole reason the club signed all these english players was because they couldn't attract the local players. The Aus players they have signed are usually discards from other clubs or have some baggage with them.

they haven't broken any contract, they have just offered him a release. Which you would think he be more than happy to sign since he's so desperate to get back home...

He’s not signing it. If they then don’t continue to pay him, then they will have broken his contract.

If I have a 6 month notice period with my employer (which I do), and ask to leave sooner than that by agreement but without actually resigning (just ask a question), then they can’t just stop my contract immediately. I might like some time to get my affairs in order. I might want to compete a certain project in order to do the right thing by my team. The employer has an ongoing obligation, and can’t just write that off because I’ve asked a hypothetical - not without my written agreement.

It’s no different in this case, sports organisations don’t have their own employment or contract law.

_Johnsy

Referee
Both Hodgson and Williams, and now Bateman coming across as whinging fooking Pommie sooks. Not getting what you want, throw tantys by leaking to the media & playing the victim on social media. If you want out, go, if not shut the f**k up, man up & honour your contract.

Latest posts