What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

He’s not signing it. If they then don’t continue to pay him, then they will have broken his contract.

If I have a 6 month notice period with my employer (which I do), and ask to leave sooner than that by agreement but without actually resigning (just ask a question), then they can’t just stop my contract immediately. I might like some time to get my affairs in order. I might want to compete a certain project in order to do the right thing by my team. The employer has an ongoing obligation, and can’t just write that off because I’ve asked a hypothetical - not without my written agreement.

It’s no different in this case, sports organisations don’t have their own employment or contract law.

Whats Williams obligations in this contract?

Id be pretty certain it would be the availability to play... not say “I’m not gonna play this week....”

Show me an employer who sacks someone for ringing in sick once, and I’ll show you someone who 1) nobody else will work for and 2) is breaking the law

Player wants a release to go home at the end of the season... a year short of what he signed for.

Club prefers him to see out his contract, seeks ways to support and offers return trip home at end of season. At at their expense.

Player doesnt to go to training, advises he’s unavailable to play. Player does not go through team doctor, or any other approved medical practitioner to “validate” absence. Effectively the player has told, not consulted with, the club of his refusal to go to work.

Let’s see if indeed he takes this to Fair Work or another conciliatory employment body if indeed he feels the same way you do. I haven’t heard nor seen anyone from the RLPA complaining about this or commencing action against the Raiders...

Let’s see if anything happens in this regard.

bileduct

Coach
Show me an employer who sacks someone for ringing in sick once, and I’ll show you someone who 1) nobody else will work for and 2) is breaking the law
They didn't sack him, they granted his request for an early release from his contract.

Now he doesn't want to end his contract for some reason....

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

This is rugby league, not Smith and Smith Accountants.

He rung in sick for training, then if I'm reading right then said he wasn't playing on the weekend either. He wasn't injured or sick, nor depressed, he just didn't like his life situation. There's 24 games a year, if you miss those it's not the same as missing a day of work.

Here's the guts of it - he knew player power usually trumps all and tried it on to get out of a contract he didn't want to be in anymore. That's his terms. The club said OK we'll give you the release because we acknowledge your struggle, and seeing you're saying it's a struggle now we'll release you straight away. That's our terms. George: 'Oh shit, that means I don't get paid'. Oh well, you're the one who said you couldn't battle on much longer. Be careful what you wish for, and maybe a few other players might be on notice that sometimes the better idea is to put your head down and 'struggle on' whilst your nigh on $700k payments continue to come through and you exhibit a commitment to the club that took a punt on you.

Then his mate Hodgson sooks on, saying he's not a bench player. Well actually, form wise, you are. Doesn't matter a f**k what your name is.

bileduct

Coach
This is rugby league, not Smith and Smith Accountants.

He rung in sick for training, then if I'm reading right then said he wasn't playing on the weekend either. He wasn't injured or sick, nor depressed, he just didn't like his life situation. There's 24 games a year, if you miss those it's not the same as missing a day of work.

Here's the guts of it - he knew player power usually trumps all and tried it on to get out of a contract he didn't want to be in anymore. That's his terms. The club said OK we'll give you the release because we acknowledge your struggle, and seeing you're saying it's a struggle now we'll release you straight away. That's our terms. George: 'Oh shit, that means I don't get paid'. Oh well, you're the one who said you couldn't battle on much longer. Be careful what you wish for, and maybe a few other players might be on notice that sometimes the better idea is to put your head down and 'struggle on' whilst your nigh on $700k payments continue to come through and you exhibit a commitment to the club that took a punt on you.

Then his mate Hodgson sooks on, saying he's not a bench player. Well actually, form wise, you are. Doesn't matter a f**k what your name is.
100%, especially the part about Hodgson.

He wouldn't be on the bench if he wasn't playing so utterly f**king shit. He's a shadow of what he was in 2019.

skeepe

Immortal
100%, especially the part about Hodgson.

He wouldn't be on the bench if he wasn't playing so utterly f**king shit. He's a shadow of what he was in 2019.
Hodgson’s given a hell of a lot to this club, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

But he can f**k right off with his attitude this year. You get benched, it’s up to you to put in and give the coach no option but to start you.

Nobody’s bigger than the club. If he wants to throw his toys out of the pram and scream “I’m not a bench player” then he can piss off as far as I’m concerned.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why not? He's terribly homesick, he desperately wants to go home, and now he can't play because he's too depressed.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

I don’t understand why he’d want to stay in canberra any longer either when it’s now summer and the pub gardens have reopened in england!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hodgson’s given a hell of a lot to this club, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

But he can f**k right off with his attitude this year. You get benched, it’s up to you to put in and give the coach no option but to start you.

Nobody’s bigger than the club. If he wants to throw his toys out of the pram and scream “I’m not a bench player” then he can piss off as far as I’m concerned.

wasnt Hodgson another one pssed off about Ricky leaking stories to his media mates? Pattern emerging here? Buckle in raiders fans, some dark days ahead it would seem.

bileduct

Coach
at the raiders, Josh papali?
Papalii didn't call in sick right after he didn't get what he wanted and then also decide he wasn't up for playing games. Pretty sure as a result of his form being down the coach decided the best thing for him was to have a weeks rest.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha Mal on fox, “congratulations Ricky on the way the club has handled the week” was he taking the pss?? :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would he be taking the piss? The club called Williams bluff. Turns out he wasn't so keen to go home after all.

yeh it’s been great PR for the club and is going to make players rush to the club, not to mention leaving the rest of the team feeling really positive about their employers and the way they treat their colleagues! I mean come on who doesn’t like to see the coach feeding his media mates stories for them to beat up on one of the players whose having a tough time of it?
Well done Mal on keeping a straight face :)

bileduct

Coach
If the PR is that the Raiders as a club aren't gonna put up with players who refuse to play after not getting released from their contracts early and that stops a few players from coming here that were going to pull the same shit, who gives a f**k?

He wanted out of his contract early and he got it. Why's he now crying like a little bitch about it?

Last edited: