What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Someone on reddit suggested that Georgie's tweet has been liked by the following:

• Jack Wighton

• Josh Papalii

• Hudson Young

• Joe Tapine

• Jordan Rapana

• Sia Soliola

• Bailey Simonsson

• Corey Harawira-Naera

• Curtis Scott

• Harley Smith Shields

• Charnze Nicol-Klokstad
Wonder what Ricky thinks?

There are two schools of thought

1. We are a basketcase and next year we are gonna have a spoon worthy team.

2. Players just instinctively double tap the like button to show support and its not got any more meaning than the effort it takes to press your finger twice on your phone.

I tend to lean towards 1 but i am the ultimate doomer

shear_joy9

Coach

2. Players just instinctively double tap the like button to show support and its not got any more meaning than the effort it takes to press your finger twice on your phone.

or their accounts are all run by the same social media manager. Jack wouldn't know how to use a phone by himself and Scott probably doesn't even have one after throwing it at a cyclist on his way to training

Valheru

Coach

A couple of the names on that list seem like they would be option 2 but you would think at least some of the others would have the mental faculty to take a second and read what is going on.

GAZF

First Grade

GAZF

First Grade
Manly player.

After leading his side to a Grand Final victory as Dally M player of the year in 2008 he rode off into the sunset, to never play for anyone, in particular Manly or the Raiders, after that.
Had he continued his career beyond 08, others may have suggested that he should be launched into the sunset. Not me though, I've never heard of him.

nick87

Coach
Haha Hooper now getting super catty. Just actually proves george was tweeting the truth.

Lol at taking offence to the nicknames.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/92e40a1c098968d5eb02efda71d1ee89

Just a little FYI, friend
Virtually everything Hooper reported in real time about the JB situation turned out to be 100% correct. And JB came out of that little spat looking quite the fool to anyone who followed it.

I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss this.

Apey

Staff member
Virtually everything Hooper reported in real time about the JB situation turned out to be 100% correct. And JB came out of that little spat looking quite the fool to anyone who followed it.

True.

On the other hand, big boy hoops will have to be right about 5000x more to get himself back in the green.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

He is a baldy twat though that is factually correct

nick87

Coach
True.

On the other hand, big boy hoops will have to be right about 5000x more to get himself back in the green.

f**k, and i can not stress this enough, Hooper
he's a stupid moron, with an ugly face, and a big butt, and his butt smells and he like to kiss his own butt
Of that you'll get no arguments from me

But his reporting on JB was pretty much spot on and nothing in that article looks incorrect.

If you take him at his word and i do, George has repeatedly asked for a release on the grounds of mental health. He's now at a point where his mental health is in such a state that he cant play or train. If that's where he's at, then it would be cruel and appalling of the club to hold him here any longer.

We're not doing shit this year with or without him so grant him the release and let him go home and begin to get himself back on track.

But here's where it gets tricky... because he doesn't want that because that means the cheques stop coming in and he'd dearly like the cheques to keep going, but he's not well enough to train or play...hmmm, sort of makes you wonder, doesnt it?

And to be clear, i fully support Williams here, i am firmly in the "get your money" camp, players should act entirely in their own interests and use whatever leverage is available to them to extract as much money from this game as they can for as long as they can. So im cool with what George is doing here

But the reason im ok with it, is this is what the clubs do all the time. They act in their own interests and use their leverage. Everyone is doing what they're suppose to here. The trouble is the Raiders are reactionary and emotional decision makers, and instead of playing this behind closed doors and negotiating a compromised deal that gives Williams a little extra money now but not all he's entitled to for the full year to leave early and everyone walks away amicably, they go nuclear because they're fed up with this kind of thing.

There is nothing we can do with the money we're not paying George now, no one on the market can help us long term right now and this club shouldnt be making short term personnel moves... so the cost of not having a PR disaster is just to swallow your pride, negotiate financial terms for an immediate release and move on. But we didnt do that, because Stuart lost his cool and blasted our business out to his media mates

Mark B

Juniors
LOL at Baldy Hooper. Uses his platform to take on JB. That is way in the rear view mirror. Seems a tad touchy about his bald head, perhaps he can borrow Mark Bosnich’s old wig or jump on a few car bonnets to make himself feel better.
What this article shows is that Raiders HQ leaks more than the Titanic.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
He might be right but it is pretty concerning the direct line Baldy and Kent have into Raiders HQ. If I was a player I'd be walking on egg shells not knowing what conversations I've had with management will or will not make it onto NRL360 on a Monday.

Im Sure Hooper may think he is helping his mate "Sticky" but he is making him look worse and worse the more he continues to talk about the Raiders.

nick87

Coach
He might be right but it is pretty concerning the direct line Baldy and Kent have into Raiders HQ. If I was a player I'd be walking on egg shells not knowing what conversations I've had with management will or will not make it onto NRL360 on a Monday.

Im Sure Hooper may think he is helping his mate "Sticky" but he is making him look worse and worse the more he continues to talk about the Raiders.

It's completely f**ked :D
The coach absolutely shouldn't be airing our f**king business to his media mates, even if in some of these instances it's to defend the club
Sometimes as a club you just have to be professional and be above the petty nonsense. That's not the ethos of this club or it's HC

betcats

Referee
Hooper still going, why would the Raiders feed this f**kstain info? Surely not making them very popular with players.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/92e40a1c098968d5eb02efda71d1ee89

Just so everyone’s clear on exactly what’s going on with Canberra Raiders halfback George Williams being granted an immediate release from the Green Machine.

Here’s the timeline of events.

The facts.

On Monday night Williams’ agent Andy Clarke from England approached the Raiders for the THIRD time this month to ask for a release at the end of the season.

Let’s remember, Williams is only in the second season of a three-year contract worth just under the $2 million mark and the Raiders paid Wigan a $200,000 release fee to fast-track his arrival into the NRL.

On Tuesday morning, Williams sent the club’s welfare manager a text message saying he had a bit going on and was unable to attend training.

This prompted Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to immediately pick up the phone and check in on Williams.

In the course of that conversation Williams told Stuart he was also unable to play the round 12 match against the Roosters on Saturday.

Let’s remember, the Raiders have lost six of their last seven games and the club’s season is at stake.

Stuart hung up the phone and walked into Furner’s office and the pair made the decision that it would be in everyone’s best interests – the player and the club - to grant Williams his wish for a release.

This time Furner picked up the phone to Williams and told him the club had decided to grant him his release.

The only catch was the Raiders were granting Williams an immediate release, not at the end of the season as Williams had requested so he and his pregnant partner could get back to their families in the UK.

The Raiders also wanted to move on from Williams as quickly as possible.

“Come in and sign the release papers today George, we’re granting you your wish,” Furner told him.

We reported this on NRL 360 on Tuesday night.

This prompted Williams to take to Twitter claiming our information was false.

Really George? The above version of events is word for word how the Raiders view his untidy exit.

Where Williams started to hit reverse was when the Raiders told him to come in and sign the paperwork immediately.

Hold on, what does this mean in terms of his contract?

Does he still get paid? Williams didn’t want to play but he still wanted to get paid.

We’d love to know what some of the champion players who’ve won premierships with the Raiders over the years think of that.

If any of this is sounding familiar it’s because it’s not the Raiders first rodeo with an Englishman agitating for an early release.

John Bateman went down a similar road last year before signing a five-year deal with Wigan in the UK Super League then finishing 80 minutes short of the NRL grand final with Canberra.

Bateman takes great delight in calling me “Baldy” and using turd emojis on Twitter to try to deflect from his own disastrous early departure from Canberra. But if we just stick to the facts it’s black and white for Canberra’s legion of fans.

Remember when Bateman falsely claimed his Twitter account was hacked last year after being caught calling the NRL’s longest serving club CEO Don Furner a “d***head?” Bateman called me “Cue Ball” in the same tweet – but proved yet again why he’s as sharp as a bowling ball. It’s no surprise he’s popped up in defence of George Williams.

The Raiders paid Wigan $400,000 in total to get Bateman and Williams to Australia in good faith for the pair to both wear the lime green jumper for three years.

In reality the English pair gave them 12 good months – one season – and then the agitation and manipulation started behind the scenes, before both were granted early releases.

We’ve had some champion English players take the NRL by storm in the last 20 years.

Adrian Morley, Sam Burgess, James Graham, Gareth Ellis.

These blokes played the game as hard as anyone and are loved and celebrated everywhere they go.

I don’t believe the Raiders fans feel the same way about Williams and Bateman.

Here’s a fresh question for George Williams to respond to on Twitter today.

If you’re so homesick George, then why did your agent contact rival NRL clubs over summer suggesting you were keen on “getting the full Australian experience and living closer to the beach”?

And you know as well as I do you’ve told your mates you didn’t like living in Canberra.

Over to you, George.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
The leaks make us look terrible. If Sticks feeding this to Baldy he's gone off the deep end.

dxJ.gif