What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gerard Sutton demoted to Titans v Warriors clash

Eion

First Grade
Here's what you said, dumbass.

In your effort to defend Sutton the only thing you got right was that the touchie put the flag back down.

The touchie may have thought it was a knock on, but he signaled a player going into touch who was less than a foot out from the sideline and Sutton is bullshitting about not seeing it.
So you admit he put his flag up half arsed because it had nothing to do with the touch line, he knew he was wrong and put it down? Looks like we agree.

Let’s agree on something else. The most delicious thing about all this is that Ricky will be able to use this to blame and paper over another shit year.

Eion

First Grade
Should've been dealt with the same way if the on-field refs interfere with a play - play is stopped and restarted via a scrum
Yeah probably. And a decent chance the sharks score off that with a set of 6 on the 20, or force a drop out.

bileduct

Coach
So you admit he put his flag up half arsed
No, actually I showed you a photo where the touch judge has the flag fully extended.

because it had nothing to do with the touch line, he knew he was wrong and put it down? Looks like we agree.
No, we don't agree. You're defending Sutton.

nick87

Coach
Yeah probably. And a decent chance the sharks score off that with a set of 6 on the 20, or force a drop out.

Or they drop the ball and Rapana runs the other way... who knows. Chances are that the Sharks DO NOT score, conversion rate in the red zone isnt better than 50%.
That's kind of how stats work, bruh

Eion

First Grade
If you think the answer to a never before seen weird set of circumstances is to drop one of the better refs, so be it, but I’d rather be looking at the confusion created by toddles myself.

And if you want to gloss over a 22 point first half and protect Ricky, so be it too. I used to protect him at Cronulla too. Did us no good though.

Eion

First Grade
Or they drop the ball and Rapana runs the other way... who knows. Chances are that the Sharks DO NOT score, conversion rate in the red zone isnt better than 50%.
That's kind of how stats work, bruh
Oi bruh, give me the stats on a ‘decent chance’. Then a probability of any of the sharks scoring in the 20 vs a Rapana 90 metre try off a drop ball.

nick87

Coach
Oi bruh, give me the stats on a ‘decent chance’. Then a probability of any of the sharks scoring in the 20 vs a Rapana 90 metre try off a drop ball.

You think better than 50% of teams who enter the red zone score?
LOL

bileduct

Coach
If you think the answer to a never before seen weird set of circumstances is to drop one of the better refs, so be it, but I’d rather be looking at the confusion created by toddles myself.
Touch judge putting his flag up = "never before seen weird set of circumstances"

Have a close look at the replay and when Sutton puts the whistle to his mouth. The ball has already bounced and been grabbed by Katoa who is off and running. Touchie puts his flag up, whistle immediately goes to Sutton's mouth. He shouldn't be demoted for making a mistake, he should be demoted for lying about it.

nick87

Coach
So what in your mind is a “decent chance”?
(Your words, you define it)
40%? 30%?
It’s not better than 50%, so how about let us take the odds of defending a set rather than incorrectly awarding the try

also can a mod please move these posts, happily to continue arguing this point but this thread is not about the call, it’s about the NRL electing to give the head official who f**ked up a “lower profile” game as punishment for his error, and what that says about the state of the NRL, it’s leadership and refereeing standards

Why is the titans v warriors a “lower profile game”

Why are the nrl profiling games in this manor ?

Eion

First Grade
Touch judge putting his flag up = "never before seen weird set of circumstances"

Have a close look at the replay and when Sutton puts the whistle to his mouth. The ball has already bounced and been grabbed by Katoa who is off and running. Touchie puts his flag up, whistle immediately goes to Sutton's mouth. He shouldn't be demoted for making a mistake, he should be demoted for lying about it.
He didn’t put us flag up for a forward pass or a touch line infringement, but he did and then he lowered it. It’s a mistake and not one I’ve seen before. Probably won’t see it again either.

Eion

First Grade
So what in your mind is a “decent chance”?
(Your words, you define it)
40%? 30%?
It’s not better than 50%, so how about let us take the odds of defending a set rather than incorrectly awarding the try

also can a mod please move these posts, happily to continue arguing this point but this thread is not about the call, it’s about the NRL electing to give the head official who f**ked up a “lower profile” game as punishment for his error, and what that says about the state of the NRL, it’s leadership and refereeing standards

Why is the titans v warriors a “lower profile game”

Why are the nrl profiling games in this manor ?
Stop replying then.

Theres a decent chance Ricky coaches for another 10 years at Canberra too.

nick87

Coach
Stop replying then.

Theres a decent chance Ricky coaches for another 10 years at Canberra too.

Just so you know... because this is kind of what i do...
Care of fox sports stat lab

The Sharks have had 497 tackles in the Opp 20, they've scored 60 tries in the season
Im going to do you a f**king favour, and assume EVERY TRY they've scored this year has been in the red zone...

which means had they been given a full, fresh set of six, on any of those plays, they had a 12% chance of scoring. That's assuming they have never once scored outside the red zone... obviously the more long range tries they've scored, the lower the odds go.

They also have a 76% completion rate for the season total... but broken down further 2,803 total runs for 201 errors.

there is a 12% chance they score from red zone on any given play, but a 7% chance on any given play that they make an error.
You really want to sit here and tell me the odds are in favour of the sharks scoring if given a fresh set of six?

TheDMC

Bench
Just so you know... because this is kind of what i do...
Care of fox sports stat lab

The Sharks have had 497 tackles in the Opp 20, they've scored 60 tries in the season
Im going to do you a f**king favour, and assume EVERY TRY they've scored this year has been in the red zone...

which means had they been given a full, fresh set of six, on any of those plays, they had a 12% chance of scoring. That's assuming they have never once scored outside the red zone... obviously the more long range tries they've scored, the lower the odds go.

They also have a 76% completion rate for the season total... but broken down further 2,803 total runs for 201 errors.

there is a 12% chance they score from red zone on any given play, but a 7% chance on any given play that they make an error.
You really want to sit here and tell me the odds are in favour of the sharks scoring if given a fresh set of six?
Nah it’s always 50-50, either they will or they won’t

skeepe

Immortal

Absolutely. Sutton’s sole job as referee is to apply the laws of the game. He failed to do that. That is grounds for demotion at any level of the game.

Here’s an example for you from a few years back from a first grade NRL game. I don’t remember the exact teams involved. A player from Team A takes a hit up and is tackled while standing up. Held is called and almost instantly, the ball pops lose. Team B picks it up and the referee allows play to continue.

That referee was dumped the following week for failing to correctly enforce the rules, as it should have been a scrum to Team B because the ball was dead and had not yet been put back into play via a play the ball.

Nobody noticed it at the time and it had no effect on the match.

Yes, that situation occurs far more often but it doesn’t matter. Sutton’s job is to know the rules and enforce them correctly. He failed to do that and should have been dumped, regardless of his standing in the game.

And if you want to gloss over a 22 point first half and protect Ricky, so be it too. I used to protect him at Cronulla too. Did us no good though.

You mean the same way Sharks fans are glossing over an 18 point second half that would have been at least 22 if not for the incorrect forward pass call?

skeepe

Immortal
The nrl are mongs, but have they said ‘demoted’? If they have demoted a ref to a side in the top 8 then they are arrogant imbeciles, but we knew that.

From nrl.com:

Two of the match officials involved in last Friday night's controversial Cronulla-Canberra match have been axed and another two demoted for this weekend's round of NRL fixtures.

Referee Gavin Reynolds and touch judge Ricky MacFarlane were dropped for the errors in the Raiders' controversial 28-24 loss, while State of Origin whistleblower Gerard Sutton has been assigned to a lower-profile match.

The senior review official for the Southern Cross Group Stadium clash, Luke Patten, has been demoted to a lesser role in the NRL Bunker.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/24/nrl-demotes-officials-over-botched-sione-katoa-try-ruling/