What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Brian Smith signature on contract

Avenger

Immortal
Smith should only be re-signed beyond 2006 if he wins the premiership this year or next year. Fullstop.

Freak

Juniors
Settle down there!!

Most will know I am a big supporter of BS, but let's not forget the entire coaching staff. JT has done an exceptional job with his prems which is really showing with their ability to jump straight into first grade when required and excell. (Minor premiers to boot) Sharpy has also added so much to our club as well. His contribution has been ultra impressive although never getting the deserved recognition from the media or like.

I would not sign anyone long term. These guys below BS have a goal, and I think one day would like to take the reigns. Keep them motivated by keeping BS contracts to 1 or 2 years MAX!

We have the right formula at the moment. Let's hope it remains the same as I believe we have the stability / depth and quality to be strong not only this year but for years to come!! + I really believe the off season is the time to do anything with coaching contracts!!

Let's put all our energies into winning this thing!!

True EEL

Bench
oh my God!!!

has anyone been down THIS road before whilst supporting Parramatta?????????

does anyone remember 2001 and the years that followed after signing BS to a HUGE contract extension BEFORE he even won anything???

now don't get me wrong - i'm NOT bashing BS, but let's just see if he can actually get us over the line before we go making such decisions and taking our eyes off the prize so to speak

no offense, but i can't believe this thread - at all

varion

Juniors
Year by year contracts for Smith only, we should of learnt the last time signing a long term deal.

Realistically i dont think theres going to be too many clubs clamouring for his services. If he wins a GF on the other hand he will be suddenly elevated to super coach status and we'll have a tough time beat rivals off with a stick. But that would be a good predicament to be in as it would mean we win 2005 :)

True EEL

Bench
PJ Marshal said:
omg this is deja vu

your tellin' me PJ - its like Groundhog Day!!!

let's just hope the final result isn't like so many other hert-breaking endings or deja vu feelings like the recent past

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
oh my God!!!

has anyone been down THIS road before whilst supporting Parramatta?????????

does anyone remember 2001 and the years that followed after signing BS to a HUGE contract extension BEFORE he even won anything???

now don't get me wrong - i'm NOT bashing BS, but let's just see if he can actually get us over the line before we go making such decisions and taking our eyes off the prize so to speak

no offense, but i can't believe this thread - at all

I agree with you wholeheartedly,

can we worry about contract extensions after the comp?

Eelectrica

Referee
I think around June next year is when a decision on that should be made. If we are still going well and Smithy wants to continue then I'd have no problem with a 2 year contract extension. I wouldn't be going beyond that though.

Suitman

Post Whore
I pose this question to everyone.

If, after waiting so many years to win a premiership, Brian does jag one this year, would the hunger and desire still be within him considering the monkey would be off his back?

Maybe, after next year, that would then be the perfect time to initiate change in our coaching ranks regardless of his success.

Suity

Haynzy

First Grade
eelaholic said:
yep. people seem to think when he's winning he's hot, and when he's losing he's not.

It would be good if we can get tony smith back at the club too! So yes, we can have a whole club full of smiths! And if your last name isn't smith, then it should be a clause in your contract to change it to smith by deed poll!

They should all change their names to Bruce, Monty Python style.

G'day Bruce
G'day Bruce

:lol:

walker smith

Juniors
parra pete said:

because there is no way we should be extending his contract...he has had his time!! He has made questionable decisions in the past and, even though we have thankfully had success this year, the end of next year is the perfect time to introduce some new blood!

last time we extended by five years BEFORE the grand final and it cam back to haunt us during the misery that followed that grand final!

Are you actually Brian Smith?