What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting my foot in the door, IT Help Desk

Generalzod

Immortal
Don’t worry. They will hire some more outsourcer to right the ship, or should I say make life difficult even further.

Hooefully labor just brings a lot of those roles back in house.
its seems covid has burst the outsourcing globalist bubble, Telstra has bought back there help desk, which is good…A lot of companies are doing this.

Dogs Of War

Coach
its seems covid has burst the outsourcing globalist bubble, Telstra has bought back there help desk, which is good…A lot of companies are doing this.
What they are doing is outsourcing the backend instead. The part you can’t see. It saves them heaps of money cause they build in lots of penalties for not meeting Kpi’s do whatever the money they pay the outsourcer, plenty comes back. And if one outsourcer gets on the nose too much. Their are plenty more willing to step up to the plate and have a go. Been in this game too long.

I’ve worked both in-house and as an outsourcer. So I understand the game from both sides. For an outsourcer it’s just getting as much business as possible. That will offset the companies who leave cause see they had enough. While for the company who engages the outsourcer. There is plenty of money to be made in bonuses for getting that part of the company outsourced but I find most outsourcers take quite a while to just come even close to the level the previous in-house team did, not to mention you remove all grey areas so that value add when someone will just do a part that isn’t in there time disappears cause that’s how the contract is written.

Generalzod

Immortal
What they are doing is outsourcing the backend instead. The part you can’t see. It saves them heaps of money cause they build in lots of penalties for not meeting Kpi’s do whatever the money they pay the outsourcer, plenty comes back. And if one outsourcer gets on the nose too much. Their are plenty more willing to step up to the plate and have a go. Been in this game too long.

I’ve worked both in-house and as an outsourcer. So I understand the game from both sides. For an outsourcer it’s just getting as much business as possible. That will offset the companies who leave cause see they had enough. While for the company who engages the outsourcer. There is plenty of money to be made in bonuses for getting that part of the company outsourced but I find most outsourcers take quite a while to just come even close to the level the previous in-house team did, not to mention you remove all grey areas so that value add when someone will just do a part that isn’t in there time disappears cause that’s how the contract is written.
Don't tell me about I know, I had one of those backend jobs the ones you don't see, Funny enough the organisation that I work for decided to outsource our group plus the help desk, Funny enough now I heard that they brought the Help desk back. The ironic thing about is how our boss had the gall to say that we should train our outsourcer told him to f**k off what was he going to do sack us...lol

bileduct

Coach
Don’t worry. They will hire some more outsourcer to right the ship, or should I say make life difficult even further.

Hooefully labor just brings a lot of those roles back in house.

I doubt it. Change of government just means a shitload of MoG's which complicates things further. Look at the Department of Environment or whatever they are calling it now. Just a constant, ongoing shitshow of functions being shuffled all over the place.

Also, outsourcers can be shit, but the agencies engaging them are equally if not more shit. Especially a few nameless Commissions. Especially them.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I doubt it. Change of government just means a shitload of MoG's which complicates things further. Look at the Department of Environment or whatever they are calling it now. Just a constant, ongoing shitshow of functions being shuffled all over the place.

Also, outsourcers can be shit, but the agencies engaging them are equally if not more shit. Especially a few nameless Commissions. Especially them.
I’ve done a couple of stints in the public sector. It’s not me. They couldn’t throw enough money my way. Takes a special type of person to do those roles. I’m too use to in the private sector working autonomously. As long as I get the job done.

bileduct

Coach
I’ve done a couple of stints in the public sector. It’s not me. They couldn’t throw enough money my way. Takes a special type of person to do those roles. I’m too use to in the private sector working autonomously. As long as I get the job done.

Yeah it is a bit bullshit to be honest. They really know how to slow things down as much as possible and then panic when deadlines approach. Current client stop-started one of my projects for 18 months with a whole bunch of f**king around and reprioritisation of the limited resources they have, and now all of a sudden they want to close it out. A few long nights later and the project is ready to be closed, and suddenly they backflip on whole bunch of decisions, and now there's rework that needs to be done as quickly as yesterday.

Yeah, f**k that. Booked my leave and it's sayonara to that client at the end of the week.

Getting sick of project delivery in general, really. Might start looking at a TAM role and just point people in the right direction instead of being stuck with the mess.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
*Update

So, I have been stressed out, spent 2 days in hospital last week. Need a procedure on my heart. Should be happening soon.

Work has been bad the past few months, called them out on their bs, not willing to increase my salary. I have been looking elsewhere and had 3 interviews so far this week, a second interview at 12:20

Been treated like shit by my manager and owner, so decided to look elsewhere.

Taken a love for learning Ruby language, still a baby, but this is fun! Wouldn't mind taking 6 months off to study and learn how to code..

Generalzod

Immortal
*Update

So, I have been stressed out, spent 2 days in hospital last week. Need a procedure on my heart. Should be happening soon.

Work has been bad the past few months, called them out on their bs, not willing to increase my salary. I have been looking elsewhere and had 3 interviews so far this week, a second interview at 12:20

Been treated like shit by my manager and owner, so decided to look elsewhere.

Taken a love for learning Ruby language, still a baby, but this is fun! Wouldn't mind taking 6 months off to study and learn how to code..
I hope you're OK Ruby, When did it turn a little sour, and what was the trigger to their bullshit???,

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
I hope you're OK Ruby, When did it turn a little sour, and what was the trigger to their bullshit???,

when my boss started WFH, 2 months ago, the other guys would bully tf out of him and he prob hated it here.

did a 365 tenancy change from sg to aus, didn't let me get involved, but used my email as the fall person. I think he started to resent me

oh well f**k em all, I have a 3rd interview tomorrow and one for fifa womens world cup in oz 😳

Nealo 12

Bench
the loud house animation GIF by Nickelodeon

bileduct

Coach
when my boss started WFH, 2 months ago, the other guys would bully tf out of him and he prob hated it here.

did a 365 tenancy change from sg to aus, didn't let me get involved, but used my email as the fall person. I think he started to resent me

oh well f**k em all, I have a 3rd interview tomorrow and one for fifa womens world cup in oz 😳

Tried to tell weeks ago that you were getting stiffed, bro.

Don't burn your boss on the way out. Future employers will want to have a chat with him.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Tried to tell weeks ago that you were getting stiffed, bro.

Don't burn your boss on the way out. Future employers will want to have a chat with him.

He said he would give me a reference if needed, but I also have clients who gave me their numbers. At least I had a good effect on people, which is nice.

Job possibilities are in abundance, but I am considering taking 6 months off to learn to code and strengthen my CCNA

Dogs Of War

Coach
He said he would give me a reference if needed, but I also have clients who gave me their numbers. At least I had a good effect on people, which is nice.

Job possibilities are in abundance, but I am considering taking 6 months off to learn to code and strengthen my CCNA
Ccna is more of a month to do. The next level is the hard one. Though if you commit to that path. It’s a lot of study. Look to move towards security work. Lots of money that way.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Ccna is more of a month to do. The next level is the hard one. Though if you commit to that path. It’s a lot of study. Look to move towards security work. Lots of money that way.

infosec is the plan, but I really want to keep with my Ruby study.

But I want to do it for the right company that actually invests in me..

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach

The f**k?

Dude, there are so many contradictions in what you have said about your situation. Weren't you having cashflow problems a few weeks back and talking about needing to take on a second and third job? How are you suddenly in a position to take 6 months off?

Nealo 12

Bench
The f**k?

Dude, there are so many contradictions in what you have said about your situation. Weren't you having cashflow problems a few weeks back and talking about needing to take on a second and third job? How are you suddenly in a position to take 6 months off?
Totally bizarre

Latest posts