What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI to the Broncos

stormbati

Bench
Nightward he's signed already hasn't he? The club has released him and he's agreed to his new contract.

beads6

First Grade
Inglis is replacing Folau, what is the big deal. It was just luck that he decided he wanted to move to Brisbane with his missus.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Negotiating is a lack of integrity when you state publicly that you won't negotiate any further, that you've made your final offer. A bit like John Howard and his "never ever" GST.

I hate the Broncos for coming damned close to destroying the game I love in a bid for more money and power.

As for the NRL investigating the Broncos, it would only ever be for show. The NRL would never dare slap a penalty on them like they did Melbourne or Canterbury, as they know they'd just piss off and start their own rival comp.

LOL, so I was right. You do think the Broncos should just have approached Inglis with their maximum price from the start.

Gee and I thought this thread was in danger of becoming ridiculous. You're clutching at straws, and Razor is here.

beads6

First Grade
Super League is exactly what Rugby League needs to sort this Salary cap sh*t out so stop crying about it you Sydneycentric farks.

The part I dont understand unless im looking at it the wrong way , is that GI contract will the Storm was illegal so why does it have to be honoured.

Why do the Storm still have to top it up? Shouldnt the contracts be null invoid?

Big Pete

Referee
](*,) this thread.

Okay guys!

Explain this to me.

Last year the Broncos had reportedly saved 400K+ to retain Karmichael Hunt, a figure he balked at. They then released Joel Clinton who was reportedly on 270K.

In that time they signed three players. Denan Kemp who came back as a fatter fringe grader, Scott Anderson fringe grader and Rohan Ahern fringe grader.

In the lead up to the season PJ Marsh announces his retirement and frees up another 180K.

We then sign Shane Tronc who was returning home to play for Redcliffe, so he would be on a pittance.

We then sign Hannant on a contract reportedly worth 350K.

They then sign up all their juniors on inflated deals.

And then Izzy announces he's leaving despite being offered 400K by the Broncos.

Now the Broncos have signed Inglis with that money...and yet somehow the Broncos are over the cap?

Let's not forget Ashton Sims is gone after being on a contract worth 220K as well as Steve Michaels (120K) and Lagi Setu (100K+).

So yeah, how?

Razor

Coach
](*,) this thread.

Okay guys!

Explain this to me.

Last year the Broncos had reportedly saved 400K+ to retain Karmichael Hunt, a figure he balked at. They then released Joel Clinton who was reportedly on 270K.

In that time they signed three players. Denan Kemp who came back as a fatter fringe grader, Scott Anderson fringe grader and Rohan Ahern fringe grader.

In the lead up to the season PJ Marsh announces his retirement and frees up another 180K.

We then sign Shane Tronc who was returning home to play for Redcliffe, so he would be on a pittance.

We then sign Hannant on a contract reportedly worth 350K.

Let's not forget Ashton Sims is gone after being on a contract worth 220K as well as Steve Michaels (120K) and Lagi Setu (100K+).

Love to know where you got yor figures from. There is no way Sims was on $220k. If he was then the Broncos are massively over the cap. Tronc never returned to play for Redcliffe. He's played first grade every week he's been back in Australia. He's a far better player than Sims. So if you say Sims is on $220k, then Tronc would be on more.

beads6

First Grade
The part I dont understand unless im looking at it the wrong way , is that GI contract will the Storm was illegal so why does it have to be honoured.

Why do the Storm still have to top it up? Shouldnt the contracts be null invoid?

you would think so but that not how the NRL have viewed it. They are doing it this way to further punish the storm IMO.

cornerposter

Juniors
sad to see, I hate to see any team who has worked hard to develop their own stars have to lose them because some clubs can;t be ar5ed to run as good businesses and force a salary cap situation based on the lowest denominator.
This
wtf?? he's what 24? yes he does need to be more consistent but he really is a once in a generation player.

from a broncos fans perspective i'm stoked if he comes to red hill, from a rugby league supporters perspective i would have loved players like him, cronk, smith and slater to all have been 1 club players...
This
Dont forget the brown bag the ponies will give as well been doing it for years.
What? Corporate Wollongong won't help St Merge out!? C'mon King Gee, dig deep for the pride of Steeler town!!

but since when has that place had the slightest shred of integrity anyway?
Pretty sure we earned a shred when we didn't merge just to stay viable...
Well, he (Wallace) is an Origin quality player :lol:
Yeah but its NSW Origin, so divide the value by 4.
We have a competition where Brisbane get an entire City of the most talented players in the Country almost exclusively to themselves
It's bloody fortunate no other teams can recruit from the SEQ area :sarcasm:

cornerposter

Juniors

Big Pete

Referee
Got that the other way around didn't I.

Subtract 270K from the 530K and you can figure out the rest.

EDIT: I totally forgot that the salary cap. was increased by a further 300K.

Last edited:

seaeagle sam

The only problem I have with it is the Storm being allowed to top up his contract from their second tier cap - that's just plain wrong. Other than that it's no different to Gasnier. Both Saints and Broncs may have to let young talent go.

coolsteve

Juniors
when is a salary cap not a salary cap. all third party sponsorships should be counted under the cap.when a club ,say, like the broncos ,have sponsors galore, how can a struggling club like cronulla,battling for sponsors to top up players income,have a chance to attract decent players, yeah , level playing field

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

Even though the contract was illegal on Melbourne's part, it is still a binding contract. How would you feel if your employer came to you and told you they had to cut your salary because they acted outside the law?

Whether Inglis new his contract was outside the cap or not is another story. In the eyes of the NRL, he signed an employment contract and is entitled to be paid in accordance with that contract.

Brutus

Referee
when is a salary cap not a salary cap. all third party sponsorships should be counted under the cap.when a club ,say, like the broncos ,have sponsors galore, how can a struggling club like cronulla,battling for sponsors to top up players income,have a chance to attract decent players, yeah , level playing field

Do we really want to bring clubs down to the lowest common denominator? The Sharks should just POQ unless they can get their house in order. FFS, it was only 2008 when they played a Grand Final qualifier. It's not like they've been a bottom side for a decade.

The answer to diminishing the Broncos' advantage up there is to introduce a 2nd Brisbane team and do it right this time ie. No f**king Super League!!

Even though the contract was illegal on Melbourne's part, it is still a binding contract. How would you feel if your employer came to you and told you they had to cut your salary because they acted outside the law?

Whether Inglis new his contract was outside the cap or not is another story. In the eyes of the NRL, he signed an employment contract and is entitled to be paid in accordance with that contract.

So if i had an employer paying me with illegal substances can I still expect to be paid them. thats probably been silly but the point I dont get if its illegal then it cant be a contract. Its signed under false pretences.

Grimey I understand your point and Id want to be paid what I believed to be in my contract too

I suppose if they could prove that GI knew what he was doing was illegal then it may be different.

NRMA undisclosed...interesting...15000 from audi..that would be a car.
You hvave to believe that they are over the cap
You cant have Inglis..Lockyer..Thaiday..Hodges....ohh thats a big 4!! and be under the cap
What a load of sh*t
Back in the same cap system when newcastle kept Andrew Johns at 500 000 a year they couldnt keep Ben Kennedy for the same amount..

Latest posts