What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI to the Broncos

SilentAssassin

Juniors
The only problem I have with it is the Storm being allowed to top up his contract from their second tier cap - that's just plain wrong. Other than that it's no different to Gasnier. Both Saints and Broncs may have to let young talent go.

Not sure I'd consider Costigan and Smith 'young' talent. Quality players though that will be missed next year.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
So if i had an employer paying me with illegal substances can I still expect to be paid them. thats probably been silly but the point I dont get if its illegal then it cant be a contract. Its signed under false pretences.
False pretences only on Melbourne's part. Why should the unwitting (allegedly) player be penalised for Melbourne's crime?

Raidersrawesome said:
Grimey I understand your point and Id want to be paid what I believed to be in my contract too

I suppose if they could prove that GI knew what he was doing was illegal then it may be different.

Exactly. For all intents and purposes in the eyes of the NRL, Inglis is an innocent victim who signed a contract believing that Melbourne could legally pay him the amount offered.

Whether this is true or not is yet to be (or may never be) fully disclosed.

My thinking is that the NRL also don't want Melbourne to be able to simply offload a player to someone else with their high salary, and feel no consequences.

simostorm

Bench
I really, seriously hope this is hyperbole. The Broncos do not need Inglis, and if he (or worse, Ricky Stuart) join the club I will be seriously considering cancelling my membership. We can do better, and we have more than enough emerging talent- if we sign him, we can kiss some or all of the following goodbye come the end of his current Melbourne contract: Matt Gillett, Corey Norman, Josh Hoffman, Ben Te'o, Jarahl Yow Yeh.

Bugger that. I'd stick with the team we've got.

wow.. all i can say is wow..

After you watch GI play his first game for the Broncs.. you will regret that.

Noa

First Grade
Maybe Im a bitter cynic but what ive learnt about this is that if your team looks like theres no way it could be under the cap, then it isnt. The benefit of the doubt I'll give to Brisbane is that Hoffman, Yow Yeh, Gillett, Teo and most of the forward pack would not be not anything more then 200k given what theyve done and how old they are.

gUt

Coach
The part I dont understand unless im looking at it the wrong way , is that GI contract will the Storm was illegal so why does it have to be honoured.

Why do the Storm still have to top it up? Shouldnt the contracts be null invoid?

GI's contract with the storm is not illegal. Melbourne's breaching of the cap does not render any individual player's contract illegal. It means the club's total spend was "illegal".

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
Do Channel 9 offer a $40,000 contract to a player from every club? I can't imagine any Raider or Sharks or even Storm player being on a contract with Channel 9 considering none of those teams players ever appear on the footy show. I realise Smith is contracted to Fox.

simostorm

Bench
Do Channel 9 offer a $40,000 contract to a player from every club? I can't imagine any Raider or Sharks or even Storm player being on a contract with Channel 9 considering none of those teams players ever appear on the footy show. I realise Smith is contracted to Fox.

every player at the Roosters has a contract to channel 9 :lol:

gUt

Coach
but but thoroughbreds! but News Ltd! but but one team town team! but but but but

Mr Saab

Referee
I really, seriously hope this is hyperbole. The Broncos do not need Inglis, and if he (or worse, Ricky Stuart) join the club I will be seriously considering cancelling my membership. We can do better, and we have more than enough emerging talent- if we sign him, we can kiss some or all of the following goodbye come the end of his current Melbourne contract: Matt Gillett, Corey Norman, Josh Hoffman, Ben Te'o, Jarahl Yow Yeh.

Bugger that. I'd stick with the team we've got.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out

Gippsy

Bench
What I don't get is that apparently the Titans offer meant no top up payment from the Storm. Yet Storm allow him to go to a club where they have to partly subsidise his contract. I understand about the girlfriend bit but last time I checked the Gold coast is not that far from Brisbane.

Doesn't make sense, unless there is something going on between the Storm & the Broncos, a common denominator perhaps?

simostorm

Bench
What I don't get is that apparently the Titans offer meant no top up payment from the Storm. Yet Storm allow him to go to a club where they have to partly subsidise his contract. I understand about the girlfriend bit but last time I checked the Gold coast is not that far from Brisbane.

Doesn't make sense, unless there is something going on between the Storm & the Broncos, a common denominator perhaps?

Id say just the playing roster, Lockyer, Hodges, Thaidday, Big Ben.. its going to be a good side.

morley101

Juniors
Next years total spend ( cap plus allowances) will go up $350,00 from this year's total

Cap 4.1 Mill to 4.2 Mill
Marquee-player payments from $ 150,000 to $300,000
Long Serving Player Allowance $100,000 to $200,000

_Johnsy

Referee
I have no issue with big game GI plaing for Brisbane. None at all.

However have brisbane ever backended a deal, if so was it given the OK by the NRL? If No then you are delusional, if yes, why is it wrong for St.George to do the same with Gaz (with NRL's ok) there is the hypocrisy.

Don NISSEN gave evidence under oath that shady deals were being done through the group i mentioned earlier. A Brisbane supporter on here has said that players salaries are not known in the public domain, so any figure reported by anyone on here is pure seculation & holds no weight.

Not to cast aspersions on any brisbane fans on this website, but given the choice of a former director of the club giving evidence under oath in a QLD court of law or some self appointed know alls on this site. Surely even gut & lockyrulz can see this.

Easy decision who to believe.

boxa777

Coach
I noticed that the husky one was incredibly outspoken during the negotiations of Gasnier to the Dragons. Saying that it will create an inequality. Just wondering what he thinks now with the bopper of a contract signed by GI to the Broncos?

The Broncos are looking decidedly strong for next year given the deal for Hannant as well. Not to mention Hodges, Thaiday, Wallace and Lockyer being on decent deals.

Throw in obvious upgrades for furture Origin players such as Yow Yeh and Gillett who are no doubt on some modest short-term contracts and it's obvious the Broncos are pushing the envelope.

I'm confident we won't hear a peep from Lockyer.

Hypocrite.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
If theres one club I wouldnt accuse of cap issues it is Brisbane. You only have to count the constant quality players they have let go/had leave them every year for the past 6 years. They seem to be the club who suffers from producing and then loosing players the most.