What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley into halves / Thaiday to return?

Karmawave

Bench
There's been some pretty strong mail lately that Luke Walsh is really struggling this pre season with his mystery illness and is a long way behind where Brian Smith wanted him to be for the 2008 season.

This latest offseason was earmarked as the most important offseason for Luke Walsh than pretty much any other Knights player, as a specific weight program was designed for Luke to bulk up and gain some much needed size for continued success in first grade.

With Lukes illness ruining his offseason preperation, he is nowhere near where Brian Smith wanted him to be entering 2008. While Walsh may be playing this weekend in the Central Coast Knights trial, the fact remains he hasn't bulked up to the weight that the strength and conditioning staff wanted him to be playing at.

There is strong word around that Smith is seriously considering bringing back Milton Thaiday to play fullback, and moving Gidley into 5/8 to partner Jarrod Mullen who will be in the 7.

While Mullen and Bailey are named for the Sharks trial, its interesting to note that Thaiday has been named on the bench for the Central Coast Knights trial match.

Of course Brian Smith and staff will continue to shoot down this talk, but you can be assured it is being discussed at the highest level at the Knights.

I am not a fan of the idea at all really. If this does come about, what do you guys think?!

Pika

Bench
Milton has missed an entire preseason.

He would be months away from NRL.

Even if his fitness were up to it, he would have no idea on the current plays and team KPis.

I am not privy to this kind of info, so it might be true, but somehow I dont think it likely.

Regardless, Wes would be streets ahead for fullback should Kurt not be there.

~knights~

Juniors
no no... don't like gidley at 5/8

just ask anyone on here ,lol

been there done that

would prefer dureau

MSKnight

Juniors
Hinton/Naiqama > Thaiday

And Gidley I think would do better in the halves this time around then before.

antonius

Coach
I don't think so, however don't discount the theory that Thaiday might play in the halves at some stage. I think Smith is toying with Bailey at 6 and Mullo at 7 or mullo at 6 and Dureau at 7

roopy

Referee
Thank god they signed Dureau.
There was a time last season when it looked like we wouldn't sign him and would have gone into this season really struggling to find halves.
Briggs in PL is a sign we will try anything. He is about 22 and has been sacked by us twice, cronulla, canberra and souths already.

Pika

Bench
Scott is having a great year.

It would be interesting to see how things played out even if Walsh was fit.

roopy

Referee
Maybe Scott Briggs heard Albert Hopoate is back playing. I remember those two going at each other all game in a Flegg game once.

perverse

Referee
we have dureau... and in a pinch walshy. smithy, why oh why would you go and soil all your good work by putting gidley back at 5/8th???

strewth_mate

Bench
I liked the look of Briggs' running game last time he was with us, seemed fairly nippy. Him, Clarrie Moran and even Tighe used to find a lot of space when playing in the halves, from what I remember. Can't wait to see the juniors going around this year.

Hanscholo

Bench
If Milton has his head together i dont care where they move Gidley he has to be our fullback, the bloke is one of the most agile players i have ever seen. I dont mind gidley in the 6, in fact i prefer it in a lot of ways, his kick chase is sublime, his marker work is outstanding and he does pretty well in that vital spot 3 in from the touchline. Id probably prefer Bailey at lock.

Interesting to see our team baring injury come round one. If Milton hasnt been training with 1st grade id be surprised if he was a bolter, smith is notoriously conservative in particular with the 6,13 and 1.

Medievalknight said:
If Gidley plays in the halves we are f**ked :crazy:

Dont worry its a pretty poor attempt @ a gee-up.

EDIT: Sorry just confirmed this was actually in the paper, so sorry KK.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Kurt's a terrific player, but he's a pot plant in five eighth. Has very little genuine playmaking ability and is wasted when he can't just chime into the line like he does from fullback.

Run Dureau or Bailey there.

strewth_mate

Bench
His critical shortcoming seems to be that he can't organise. Can be quite good at taking advantage of situations, and has the talent to do just about anything individually, however IMO he's too narrow-minded to be a regular first receiver. He doesn't play what you'd consider a 'traditional' fullback's game, but it seemed to fit last year and he performed very impressively with his enthusiasm.

So until he stops being effective at the back, and as long as we're not desperate for a light-footed crowd-pleasing saviour like we were when Thaiday came in, I'd keep Kurt there over Thaiday. It'd be criminal for someone like Kurt, who with his attitude is exactly the kind of person I want playing for my club, to be wasted.

That said, if he's moved into the halves and performs, well, never mind :lol:

Yosh

Coach
Yeah was watching some old 05 and 06 games right and yeah Kids is definately not a half... He would always be getting in his runners ways and yeah not organising the play properly, thats with Johns inside him to. Let him have freedom to whatever he wants. Personally as I see it, it should be Mullen at 6 and whoever else Hilder/Bailey/Walsh/Dureau at 7. Mullen is a must at 6 if you ask me, its his natural position. He is the next Fitler or even better. I would personally choose Dureau at 7 and have Bailey as our interchange back on the bench who could cover all position apart from prop. OR Hilder but I feel he isnt as versitile at Bailey...

Bicey_18

Bench
Yosh said:
Yeah was watching some old 05 and 06 games right and yeah Kids is definately not a half... He would always be getting in his runners ways and yeah not organising the play properly, thats with Johns inside him to. Let him have freedom to whatever he wants. Personally as I see it, it should be Mullen at 6 and whoever else Hilder/Bailey/Walsh/Dureau at 7. Mullen is a must at 6 if you ask me, its his natural position. He is the next Fitler or even better. I would personally choose Dureau at 7 and have Bailey as our interchange back on the bench who could cover all position apart from prop. OR Hilder but I feel he isnt as versitile at Bailey...

:crazy::crazy: