What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley to captain the Blues?

typicalfan

Coach
You are kidding yourself arnt you

Mini is a mere shadow of the player he used to be and Gids stole Stewarts FB spot for game 3 last year so if you want to get technical he is the incumbent and the job is his to lose.
Minichiello hasn't really had the matches under his belt to prove one way or another.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Robbie Farah will be hooker and will play 80 minutes.

Not a bad choice.

I'm not sure who the 6 & 7 will be for NSW this year

I'd like to see Campese get a run @ 6 - but he's still really green and not captain material yet.

Peter Wallace at halfback would be the natural choice

Gidley will be full back and I'm not a fan of full backs being captains. Personal thing really. Captains should be where the action is most of the time.
Probably Anasta and Kimmorley :(

Personally, I'd like to see two of Mullen, Campese or Pearce, but that won't happen.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Id take giddley over gallen
but to be captain surely you have to be assured of a position

which given stewarts mess, i guess he might be, but with stewart playing i cant find a place for him in the side... he's not a half or utilties arsehole. Its fullback or see ya next year. At best he's 60-40 in the way of giddley of getting the fullback spot

Eels Dude

Coach
Robbie Farah will be hooker and will play 80 minutes.

Not a bad choice.

I'm not sure who the 6 & 7 will be for NSW this year

I'd like to see Campese get a run @ 6 - but he's still really green and not captain material yet.

Peter Wallace at halfback would be the natural choice

Gidley will be full back and I'm not a fan of full backs being captains. Personal thing really. Captains should be where the action is most of the time.

I'd be happy with Farah as hooker, the factor counting against him though is that he's never played origin before, and the coach will most likely want someone who's experienced at origin level to captain the side.

The halves seem to be open every year for the Blues at the moment. Suttpn, Anasta, Barrett, Campese for 5'8th, Wallace, Pearce, Orford for halfback. Who knows what combination they'll choose. It'd be good if 2 players would step up and basically prove they're better than the rest and deserve selection.

Lambretta

First Grade
Farah wont play 80 at origin level, he doesnt play 80 for his club.

He did last season.

He's come on as a sub in one game and if Sheens makes that mistake again, he wants f**king shooting.

How Morris gets the 6 on his back at that club is beyond me. But I digress.

i think kimmorley and barret will be the halves for NSW in game 1 basically becasue NSW selectors are reluctant to give younger players a go in the first few games. Barret will be captain

andrew057

First Grade
He's not the best NSW fullback so unless there are injuries to Stewart and Mini - he wont start there.

He hasnt even cemented his bench spot so the prospect of him being left out isnt exactly far fetched. The selectors could decide to go for any number of other options as the utility off the bench, i doubt they would give the captaincy to a guy who might not even play.

Ridiculous, dont even compare Minichiello to Gidley. Gidley has been superb in recent season whereas Mini has played how many games in the last 2? To suggest Mini is infront of Gidley is geniused.

Eels Dude

Coach
i think kimmorley and barret will be the halves for NSW in game 1 basically becasue NSW selectors are reluctant to give younger players a go in the first few games. Barret will be captain

Um Peter Wallace last year? Mullen the year before? Both played game 1. And 'first few games'. There are only 3.

typicalfan

Coach
Pearce? I wouldnt even consider him i would even prefer Matt Orford or Brett Kimmorley or even Trent Barrett in the 7.

Shorty

Staff member
Re Mini - People seem to forget that he came back from injury in 07 (could be wrong!) and was picked for NSW fullback for game 1 and would have continued to be the NSW fullback if he wasn't injured.

Gidley is a great fullback (no not the best in the game Knights' fans) but unfortunately the utility tag has set his success back somewhat.

Joker's Wild

Coach
If they go with a young player in the halves then I think it is likely they will pick an experienced player inside/outside them.

Likely combo made up of:

Kimmorley, Barrett, Orford (not origin experienced but close enough)

and

Wallace, Mullen, Campese

adamkungl

Immortal
So you're telling me that Gidley is not in the (at least) top 17 players in NSW? :lol:

We have a winner! He's at best, 3rd best fullback. And a waste of space as a utility. I wouldn't pick him. I'm not sure too many non Knights fans would actually...

aqua_duck

Coach
I honestly think he is one of the weaker utilities.

As a starting fullback he is a great player. Anywhere else and he isn't near as effective. If he is in the side, he has to start at fullback.
don't you remember the night he tore you guys a new one at CUA playing hooker/fullback?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Re Mini - People seem to forget that he came back from injury in 07 (could be wrong!) and was picked for NSW fullback for game 1 and would have continued to be the NSW fullback if he wasn't injured.

And therein lies the issue with his physical state these days. His confidence in his body being able to hold up must have taken a beating.

Gidley is a great fullback (no not the best in the game Knights' fans) but unfortunately the utility tag has set his success back somewhat.
I doubt any of us think he is the best in the game but he sure is close to if not the best in NSW

Lambretta

First Grade
Yeah Trent Barrett will probably get the nod for five eighth - I had forgotten him.

Wallace will play halfback.

An old head and a young talent together. That's not a bad combination.

Campese is the man waiting in the wings when Barrett retires at 5/8th though.

typicalfan

Coach
If they go with a young player in the halves then I think it is likely they will pick an experienced player inside/outside them.

Likely combo made up of:

Kimmorley, Barrett, Orford (not origin experienced but close enough)

and

Wallace, Mullen, Campese
Although Orford is now a premiership winning halfback i still have doubts about his ability to get his side over the line in tight contests. 40-0 isnt exactly a tight contest.

Joker's Wild

Coach
We have a winner! He's at best, 3rd best fullback. And a waste of space as a utility. I wouldn't pick him. I'm not sure too many non Knights fans would actually...

Stewart is the only NSW FB that can be considered better than Gids and even that is an each way bet.

Please name another NSW fullback that has a better level of game right now?

Latest posts