What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley to captain the Blues?

mxlegend99

Referee
don't you remember the night he tore you guys a new one at CUA playing hooker/fullback?
Panthers have a habit of making players look much better then they are.

Kurt Gidley is at his best when playing fullback. You can throw him in any other position, but it doesn't mean he will do a good job. Unless he is facing the Panthers... in which case you could have him playing in the front row and he would manage.

Charlie124

First Grade
If Mini is fit (which we will not know until selection time) it will be between him and Stewart (assuming he is playing again by then) as the first choice fullback. It will only be because both of these players are unavailable that Gidley would be considered.

Even if both Stewart AND Mini are unavailable for whatever reason this year, the captaincy is a long term appointment, they wont say "Well Stewart and Mini are unavailable so we'll put Gidley at fullback and make him the captain". What happens next year when Stewart is available??

Raider_69

Post Whore
FTR, if you want a long term captain, just get it over and done with and anoit the great man, QBN's own Terry Campese :D

Yosh

Coach
I think Kurt Gidley is overall a better player then Stewart. If you really want him to play then put him on the bench to come on M Bowen style if anything to run around

slowing forwards etc. Gidley is a gun. FURTHERMORE NSW loves newcastle. They'll pick Gidley purely because he is from Newcastle.

Lambretta

First Grade
If Barrett, Hindmarsh, Fitzgibbon, or Gidley make the team, I'd rather them all before Gallen.

If Fitzgibbon or Hindmarsh are in the Origin team, I will personally shoot the selectors.

Heighington, Laffranchi & Gallen will be the back row.

Mason, Hoffman, Watmough, Topou, Mark Minichiello & Andrew Ryan will all be ahead of them in the pecking order.

Phillips

Referee
If Fitzgibbon or Hindmarsh are in the Origin team, I will personally shoot the selectors.

Heighington, Laffranchi & Gallen will be the back row.

Mason, Hoffman & Andrew Ryan will all be ahead of them in the pecking order.

you sir, are an idiot.

Rogue.9

Juniors
If Mini is fit (which we will not know until selection time) it will be between him and Stewart (assuming he is playing again by then) as the first choice fullback. It will only be because both of these players are unavailable that Gidley would be considered.

Even if both Stewart AND Mini are unavailable for whatever reason this year, the captaincy is a long term appointment, they wont say "Well Stewart and Mini are unavailable so we'll put Gidley at fullback and make him the captain". What happens next year when Stewart is available??

I prefer Wade McKinnon over Gidley as fullback

Lambretta

First Grade
you sir, are an idiot.

And you're bereft of reasoning.

Last year, Origin destroyed Fitzgibbon. He played well, sure, but it took it out of him and he faded badly in a Roosters team that got worse and worse as the year progressed.

He's not a young man and playing in the 2nd row in Origin games is not an old mans domain. If the selectors choose him over younger, fitter players they are doing Fitzgibbon and NSW a dis-service.

As for Hindmarsh - he tries his heart out, but his legs aren't what they used to be and last year his form was well down on previous years. If they pick him over the likes of Heighington and Laffranchi then I won't watch the series.

Knowing the NSW selectors, they'll pick Ben Creagh and make idiots of us all, because he plays for St George.

Gidley wont be captain , if he is then NSW are struggling for leaders , he isnt captain material at all.

I think this year NSW team is quite open there are no guarenteed selections

Lambretta

First Grade
either way.

Any reasoning behind your logic, or do you just make comments without expanding on them?

I ask because I'm genuinely interested.

Is it because you think they're both suited in the Lock Forward position or because you don't see any difference in the roles or because they're both extremely talented players that can be asked to fulfill any role?

typicalfan

Coach
As for Hindmarsh - he tries his heart out, but his legs aren't what they used to be and last year his form was well down on previous years. If they pick him over the likes of Heighington and Laffranchi then I won't watch the series.
Perhaps not but still managed to run down Manu Vatuvai last week. I would have Hindy in the mix for sure.

Lambretta

First Grade
Gidley wont be captain , if he is then NSW are struggling for leaders , he isnt captain material at all.

I think this year NSW team is quite open there are no guarenteed selections

The difference this year - isn't so much that we're scratching around looking for players, more the fact there's alot of strong competition at the moment.

But yes, many of the spots are well and truly open this year.

BWNB

First Grade
If McKinnon is available id def have him in my side given he is in reasonable form.
As for captain it has to go to Gallen.