What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go ahead!...ask us anything!

El Duque

Bench
I'm not sure exactly what they do but I always do a scandisk and defrag usin the maintenance wizard.
In windows 98 go to Start/Programs/Accesories and then System tools and you'll finf scandisk,defrag and maintenance wizard.

Scan disk-defrag is awesome!
It's almost a complete tune-up for your personal computer. Kind of like a major service to an automobile. I do it at least every couple of months and it improves performance big time on many different levels. It will basicaly clean up your pc and eliminate all faulty and un-alighned...shite, I don't even know how to explain it. :(
I go to Uni with a guy who's older brother is a part timecomputer tech. He tells me that he does alot of after hours work for his mates and others,cleaning up their computers and fixing problems of many different types. He charges these guys anywhere from $50 to upwards of $200 and more times than not, andall he does is a defrag. Sits their for a few hours (depending) and makes it look like he's doing some major surgery or something. If people are watching, he tells me, he will start thedefrag and than waste time either opening/closing different programmes or pulling hard drive apart, to make it look likehe's performing some heavy stuff. Once the defrag is over,he's out of there doing very little.Bastard!
You'd be surprised how few manypeople know about it, so it's not a silly question at all Javaman.
Follow ED's directions. It can't do any harm mate. Quite the contrary.
Good luck Outlaw. A lot of people are interested in the outcome of your mouse problem.
'fan-baller

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm no expert but I had it explained to me in layman's terms once.

Scandisk detects and rectifies any errors on your hard drive.

Defrag (short forDefragmentation I think) puts all the bits of data in the correct order. Imagine data as being made up of little packets of information across an open field. For the processor and hard drive to work together, these packets have to send information to each other and to the processor... this means they shift around a lot.

Over time, the packets which are relative to each other get further apart as other packets get in the way. This means that when you are trying to access a program, it takes longer for the packets to recognise each other and get their collective acts together.

By defragging, the computer sorts the packets in their correct order and in theory makes the whole system run smoother and faster.

Defragging takes anything from a few minutes to all day depending on how often you do it.

Sorry to any whizkids out there formy lack of technical jargon.

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td colspan=2>Defragmenting Your Hard Drive </td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=#cc0000 colspan=2 height=1>
dot_clea.gif
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2>Regular Computer Maintenance </td></tr></tbody></table>
Does your computer seem to be getting slower and slower? It may be time to defrag your hard drive to improve your computer's performance. Here's how: By defragmenting the hard drive, the utility rearranges files so that all the clusters associated with that file are placed next to each other. The next time the file is loaded, all the data clusters are contiguous and the drive doesn't have to jump around the disk to read the various clusters. This should help speed the computer's processing.
When: <ul> [*]Defrag your computer at least every 2-3 months. [/list] Steps: If you're running a version of Microsoft Windows, here's how to defrag your drive.
<ul> [*]Click the Start button. [*]Click the Programs folder. [*]Click the Accessories folder. [*]Go to the System Tools. [*]Click on Disk Defragmenter. [*]Choose the hard drive you want to defragment and follow the on-screen instructions. [/list] Tips: <ul> [*]Be sure not to have any other programs running, especially the screen saver.

Hope this helps...
'fan-baller[/list]

Javaman

Juniors
Thank you all.
I took your kind advice and applied it last night before I went to bed. Things seem to be much quicker even as I speak. Thanks for the assistance again fellow posters. I'll be applying this method regularly from here on.
Javaman very grateful.

This has been bugging me for a few days now.
What in the world does the -2 replies represent under The Front Rowpage on the main message board?
How did it get to the minus stage?
Or is it just my page showing that?
Help....

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td nowrap>http://groups.msn.com/legendsworldofsport/thefrontrow.msnw</td> <td align=middle></td> <td align=middle></td></tr></tbody></table>

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think I can answer that Res Dog.

When the Front Row was began it was at a different web address. I put up a new thread which showed anyone interested what the new address was and I deleted the old threads to avoid confusion.

The old thread had a handfull of posts on it and when deleted, sent the counter into the negative.

I reckon if you were to make a few posts in the new thread in the Front Row section the -2 would soon go into the positive.

I hadnt noticed it before and its interesting to see. I guess we can call it a bug.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Hello again all.
Thanks for the interest shown towards my problem. I hope none of you ever have to experience it. It's a pain where the sun don't shine.
After following all advice given on thisthread to perfection (the defrag stuff works wonders)as well as emailing Logitech the manufacturer of the mouse(very helpfull and professional btw), I came to the conclusion that I'll just go and purchase a new one, which I did going on a couple of days now. The standard roll around on the pad type.
It seems to be fine but I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks from the heart to Willow, fan-baller and others for their help.
embeer.gif
:)
On a seperate note, I went out and bought a new blow-up above ground pool (circular inshape)for my family and friends for this coming summer (it was really cheap). The pool measures 12.5 feet across (not diametre) and 2.5 feet deep. I need to buy chlorine and other pool additives for it before summer comes around, so it's all ready to go. So whatI need to know is how do I calculate the water capacity in litres, so I know how much additives to put in (it's according to amount of water in litres it holds)? The manual doesn't tell me what I need to know.
I know there is a formula to work out that, but my maths was never a strong point and I couldn't find a thing on the net. The place I purchased it from said "just estimate".... Yeh right mate! :mad:
Thanks again gents and ladies.:)

imported_JoeD

Juniors
First thing you got to do is change the feet to metres. I get your pool to be 3.81m across (which is the diameter, the measure around is called the circumference).To work out the area your pool covers the equation is pi X radius X radius. Radius is 1/2 the diameter, so the equation is 3.14(pi) X 1.905X1.905 which comes to

11.39 sq m

times that by the height of the pool (.762m) and you get

8.68 cubic m of water. Now if i remember correctly there is 1000 litres in 1 cubic meter of water so your pool, if it was filled right to the brim, would hold 8680 litres.

Please someone check my figures but I am pretty sure that is right.

O

ozbash

very interesting joe, and quite correct.
have you taken into account the evaporisation on hot days or the increase in water volume during heavy rainstorms ?

O

ozbash

why is it that when i watch footy on tv, foxsports is a hugely better picture than ch 9,s.
ch 9 is grainy and i usually cant see the people in the stands/sits whereas foxsports is as clear as a bell ?

nz has skysports do the warriors home games and the clarity is very good.....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"why is it that when i watch footy on tv, foxsports is a hugely better picture than ch 9,s"

Is one digital and the other analog?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I wouldn't think so Joe. I understand that they use the same gear and feed off each other.
I would think its to do with themethod of transmission / reception.

Fox is cable and Channel Nine is through the airwaves - Ozbash, are you seeing the differences via cable?

imported_JoeD

Juniors
In NZ whether its CH9 or Fox it doesn't matter we get it the same way, either a UHF signal or digital satelite feed. I'm just trying to think if i've ever noticed the difference, maybe its just Ray Warrens voice that scrambles oz's vision :)

O

ozbash

my vision can be a bit cloudy.:)

its is a definite difference tho, we get our picture thru a sattelite dish,so our reception of analog cameras is digitally enhanced. ??

i have noticed this difference when video capturing...ch 9 is crap and fox is really clear

willow, you must notice the diff when you capture ??