What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go ahead!...ask us anything!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No I havent but I will get an opportunity this Sunday because Saints are on Channel Nine (1 hour delayed!).

It all comes in via Cable so it'll be interesting to see.

madas

Juniors
can someone explain why the "sign me in automatically" tick box thing for this site does not work?
cheers

madas

Juniors
ozbash.
would the hill at the back of your place have anything to do with picture quality?
cheers

O

ozbash

no mate, it all comes through the dish.

BTW,welcome to the forum and
how do you know about the hill at the back of us ?? hmmm, come on, spit it out.......

O

ozbash

madas, the "sign me in auto"does work if your computer security thingy aint ticked,,,
you will have to fossick about in the bowels of your p/c. :eek:

madas

Juniors
ozbash
hasn`t everyone got a hill between them and the tv station? and there are some hills around kaukapakapa and glorit
kiora

madas

Juniors
having fossicked about in the bowls of my PC for quite a while to find the security box that allows me to automatic sign in on this site I gave up. only having 30 hours a week internet time i didnt want to wast it in an endless search. could someone be more specific as I am computer illiterate as far as settings and programs go
cheers

O

ozbash

onya madas, i,m not too clued up with computers myself. ill duck will know.;)

so where do you come from ?

This is not really a question, but many here will probably find it usefull.
Have you ever thought about a person from a teevee show, movie or what ever and wondered wheather they were still alive or not?
Sure you have.
Well here's a website, which I may add is updated pretty often, which basicaly tells you who's alive and who's dead. Bookmark it cause it may just come in handy one day.
You're welcome :D
[url]http://www.whosaliveandwhosdead.com/ldplain.htm[/url]

C

CanadianSteve

Re the baseball bullpen: I don't know for sure but I'm guessing it relates to the bullpen in a US rodeo contest where they open a gate and the next bull comes out. Or maybe the same idea but from bullfighting. In some MLB ballparks you can see into the bullpen from the stands but in others the bullpen is hidden to most fans, and a gate opens and a new pitcher comes walking or running out.
Most pitchers walk out from the 'pen but some have made a name for themselves by running out as if they couldn't wait to get at the hitters. In some parks in the 70s they used golf carts dressed up with the team logo and colours to drive the relief pitcher from the bullpen to the mound. But those have fallen out of use

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Canadian Steve, while you are there, what is the state of Canadian basketball? Why didn't they feature in the world champs? Surely there must be a whole host of NBA players that qualify, if only for the fact that they play for the Toronto Raptors and must have residency in Canada.

C

CanadianSteve

I have pasted a reply to a similar question I made recently on another thread:
"Whats with Canada Canadian Steve? They flashed up the score during the game that Angola had beaten Canada. I'd persume the side would be packed with Raptors NBA talent but thats 2 losses on the trot now." - bronco

Yes our performance has been disappointing, especially the loss to Angola. Since then we lost to Yugoslavia, and today beat Lebanon in the consolation round.

There are no Canadians on the Raptors. (Kiwi Sean Marks was on the Raptors a few years ago but rarely played.) There are 3 very good Canadians in the NBA, as I have mentioned in earlier posts, but they are not playing for various reasons. Unfortunately the NBA clubs which pay them million dollar salaries take precedence over playing for their country. Another factor is that the rest of the Canadian team play in professional leagues in Europe. There is no domestic pro league here as there is in Aus and NZ. Our players only get together as a national team for international comps for a few months each summer (June -August here).

The week before the Worlds started Canada split 2 games with NZ and beat Russia once. So their play in the WC has been disappointing. They were expected to lose to Spain and Yugo, but should never have lost to Angola.

Good news is that Canada may get to host the Olympic qualifying tournament next year for North and South America. Hopefully playing at home and with our NBA players back we will qualify again for the Olympics. We did quite well in Sydney in 2000. "

Just to repeat, none of the Raptors qualify as Canadians. Most of them go home to the US in the off-season, but I think even if they stayed in Canada they would have trouble qualifying as Canadians to play basketball for Canada. I'm not sure what the FIBA rules for citizenship are, though.
Rick Fox is a Laker veteran who was born in Canada, grew up in the Bahamas, went to high school in Indiana, then played for the U. of North Carolina. He played for Canada in the 1994 WC's in Toronto, when he was a Boston celtic, but has never played for us since. He lives the Hollywood lifestyle in LA and I think has no interest in playing for Canada in the NBA off-season.
Steve Nash is a Canadian from B.C. who plays for the Dallas Mavericks and was an all-star last season. He has played for Canada many times and was training for the Worlds when his Dallas owner Mark Cuban started questioning if there was enough insurance coverage for his players if they got hurt. Mavericks Michael Finley of the US and Dirk Nowitzki of Germany did play, but Nash decided to withdraw because of the uncertainty and because he was still drained from the long NBA season. It's hard to fault him because he has been so loyal in the past, and he says he will play next year in Olympic qualifying.
Todd Maccullogh of Winnipeg is a 7 foot center for the Philadelphia 76ers. He played in the NBA finals for the Sixers 2 years ago and for the New Jersey Nets this past year, and has now been traded back to the Sixers. He had a foot injury that kept him from playing in the Worlds. He played wqell for Canada in Sydney in 2000.
Jamaal Magliore is a 6'10" forward from Toronto who played on an NCAA championship team at the U. of Kentucky and now plays for the NBA Hornets. He declined to go to Sydney as he was about to go to his first NBA training camp. But he has not played for Canada since and seems to be not interested.
Seeing now that the US lost in the tournament, I think if 2 or 3 of these players had played Canada could have done very well, possibly medalled. We might have had a great story as the Kiwis did. But it wasn't to be

Gav-bt

Juniors
Steve, are you suggesting the Raptors are less Canadian than the Thames Valley Tigers are Poms? Shamefull stuff! Especially considering you got an NBA franchise. Mind you, I thought some of the NHL teams were a joke.

C

CanadianSteve

Gav; As a long time basketball fan I am very happy we got an NBA franchise in Toronto. But we all know the players are all Yanks. Actually, I wish the Raps would get a few good European players, from what I saw of the WC's.
And it would be great if Steve Nash could ever play for Toronto. But he is too valuable to Dallas, they wouldn't likely trade him.
When the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series in 92 and 93 we were all proud of them as Canada's team, even though the players were mostly Yanks, with a few from Central American or Caribbean nations. We thought the US didn't like it too much to see a Canadian team win the championship.
I wonder how it will be received in Aus if the Warriors win the GF

Gav-bt

Juniors
Steve, at least the vast majority of Warriors players are New Zealanders. I got somewhat pissed off when the Vancouver Grizzlies were moved to Memphis, or even more so when the Winnipeg Jets and Quebec Nordiques moved to US cities. What has happened to the relevent sports within those cities?

C

CanadianSteve

Those teams were losing money, in large part because they operate in Canadian dollars for income, but pay the players in US dollars. They just found it too hard to compete financially with richer American clubs. The other Canadian hockey teams are often in danger of moving too, except Toronto and Montreal. But I don't think there are any good hockey markets left in the US to move to. The Raptors I hope will also be ok because they are owned by the same wealthy groups that own the Maple Leafs. But it is hard to compete with the great difference in our dollar; also some free agents don't want to come to Canada, especially US NBA players but even Canadian hockey players, because salaries are higher and taxes lower in the US.

st ted

Juniors
Did not cross my mind to add anything to this thread,but it can't sit on 499 and be ignored.
So, under the ask me anything banner,
Will Desert Storm become a nuclear winter?