What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go ahead!...ask us anything!

Yeah I heard that also eels fan...
That's how many of my mates do it. Problem is I don't have ICQ.But I heard through the grapevine that there isan Aus internet site that lets you write messages and send them off via the net.
I'm hoping someone knows or even better uses it. Aren't those SMS things addictive?
Thanks anywayeels fan...

El Duque

Bench
OK last night on 10 they showed brief highlights of the Aussies winning at the Com games in their sports report yet when I see 9 news they only show old footage of the atlhetes at previous swim or athletic meets.Why is it so?????

Willow

Assistant Moderator
El Duque:
OK, I have a guess and I'm willing to bet its all to do broadcast rights and embargos.
Channel 7 have the rights and no one else can show footage. But there is probably an embargo on it which allows footage to be shown after a certain time...say after 10:30pm (for example).

What time did you see it on Channel Nine and then Channel Ten?
Offcourse its just possible that Ch 9 didnt have the right tape...

El Duque

Bench
Well I just watched the 5pm 10 news and they showed relay highlights and shit but this morning on 9's 11am news they only showed old footage whist the male modelfrom Mudgee was talking about the medals they won.Don't watch 9's 6pm news so nfi if they show footage then.

El Duque

Bench
It must be a time thing as they're showing highlights on 9's 6pm news.How bad a newsreader is Wally Lewis??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It could be a time thing El. Its also possible that Channel Ten have paid for the sub-rights to show snippets. In other words, I have no bloody idea... :D

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Hi there Willow.
Well I tried your recommendation. I thought I'd wait a day or so until I could come to a conclusion. There really wasn't that much 'gunk' in there, but whatever there was now no longer exists. Unfortuneately it still does it.
Here's something I didn't mention that may be of importance to my problem. The mouse (cursor) ceases up half way whilst a page is down loading. It'll stop during the download pahase of a new page for a few seconds, where the cursor won't move but the download progress bar on the bottom of the screen doesn't move either,and then will resume the duty asked.
Like I said earlier, and after reading fanballers reply, I don't mind buying a new mouse. Infact I'll wait here for a reply from you to see if you have any other suggestions, and if not just go out this weekend and buy a new one. I won't be pointing the finger at anyone if the problem isn't fixed with a new mouse. I can live with it, but prefer not to if i can avoid it.
I really appreciate your assistance with my problem Willow. It was very kind of you.
Thanks sir
embeer.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thats ok Outlaw.. we're all here to help each other where we can...

I have to say, your computer sounds like my old computer at work. Its always trying to catch up. I know its because of the old processor being inadequate for modern browsers and programs. Sometimes the mouse cursorjust slows upand stops and can even disappear. Sometimes I have to walk away and do something else while the processor gets it head together.
How old is your computer? What is it?

The important question is... does the cursor only seize up while you are using it for online / internetactivities? Moreover, do you find it acting up more when you have multiple programs / windows open at the same time?

Of course if buying a new mouse solves the problem then all is good and it certainly cant make things any worse.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
How old is your computer? What is it?
Three years next Febuary. Compaq Presario 7470 with a MV-920 monitor. A Logitech Trackman Wheel mouse.
does the cursor only seize up while you are using it for online / internetactivities?
Yes. Never at other times. Only when I'm online.
do you find it acting up more when you have multiple programs / windows open at the same time?
Very rarely, but it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I do or not.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
does the cursor only seize up while you are using it for online / internetactivities?
Yes. Never at other times. Only when I'm online.

This means its not neccessarily a hardware (ie mechanical) problem.
Probablya combination of processor / internet connection hassles.

I reckon you've got lots of old files sitting on your hard drive which are slowing up the processing. If I'm wrong (eg, you've just recently formatted your hard drive) then I apologise for any presumptions.

Hard to tell froma distance but doing a scan disk and defrag of your hard drivewill help...if this hasnt been done for a while, choose an afternoon when you dont need your computer. Defragging is automated but can take hours. Depends on how long since your last defragging.

Like I said, the new mouse wont hurt and may even help but the problem will recur as long as your hard drive, modem and processor are nearing their limits.

If your modem is struggling and/or your server is struggling then it will also clog up your processor.You say that it only happens online which makes me think that the modem needs some updating before the mouse.

Sorry I cant be much help mate. Always easier when in the same room.

Good luck, I think we're all interested in how you eventually resolve this tricky problem.
:)

imported_bronco

Juniors
It definetly doesn't sound like your actual mouse is the problem outlaw so I wouldn't be going out and buying a new one. It sounds like a computer speed problem as willow has said. Defragging and formatting are the best ways to go. You also might want to clear your temporary internet folder. I know that when I recently installed internet explorer 6 it set the limit of that folder to 2gb, now if you have never cleared that folder it could easily be at that level slowing down your computer.

You have the same computer I do Outlaw. Identical model number of CPU and screenthat is. I only purchased mine late last year (an ex-demonstration in-storemodel) and am often told that it's on the better range of PC's.
I'd definitely try the ideas that both Willow and bronco advised you on. I think you'll see the defrag and file clean-up they both mentioned, may quite possibly solve your problem. I'm betting that your PC has yet to have a defrag and major file and history clean-up since you purchased. I don't mean to be rude....I'm just speculating.
If after the mentioned tasks the problem persists, then may be the time to consider spending ona new mouse. After all, the tasks that Willow and bronco mentioned won't cost you $$'s...just you valuable time.
Good luck mate. I'm also interested to know how things paned out.
Raidpatch

Javaman

Juniors
I don't know too much about computers Outlaw, but I'm always looking for solutions to problems that may ocur in the future. So I'm also looking for your reply to the help posters are giving you.
Sorry if this sounds like a 'silly' question (I'm nota computer "savy poster"), but what exactly is"scan disk and defrag" ? How is it performed? It seems like a good thing to do often.
Javaman thanking.