What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go ahead!...ask us anything!

El Duque

Bench
I just think it's a tad silly that you autmatically get into the final based on something that happend three (?)years ago.

The top two boats mightn't even be inthe final which is really what it should be about.

O

ozbash

its yachting el landlubber, its not the bloody nrl.
we won it,, they come and try to take it off us--simple.

El Duque

Bench
I realise it's a boat race but what's that got to do with it?

What other competitions put the last winner automatically into the final especially after such a long break between evens?

The Davis Cup moved with the times and so should the Americas Cup.

O

ozbash

it doesnt work- its stupid and unfair.

i think the rain saved cantabs arse (tho i do hate to say it )

imported_JoeD

Juniors
I think there is no right solution to the problem of rain affected days. In your case the reason why Cant. had to get more in the same amount of overs is because they knew how many overs they would get. What if Otago had been going slow in order to preserve wickets so they could launch an attack int he last 10 overs? Then the last 10 never come. The Duckworth Lewis system takes into account wickets in hand as well so if Otago had been 9 down after 40 overs then Canterbury would have been set less to get, however if they were only 2 down they would have been set a lot more.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Bronco, if we just used your simple method ie, team batting second gets the same amount overs to get the same amount of runs then the team batting second would have a huge advantage in a rain affected match. For example Team A batting first score at a healthy 4.5/over to get to 113 runs after 25 overs. Whats more they have only lost one wicket. Godd batting conditions and they look to be going on to a big score. Suddenly its starts to pour down and the game is reduced to 25 overs each. Team B comes in and only needs to score at 4.6/over to win with 10 wickets in hand. A very simple exercise you would and a huge advantage to the team batting second.

imported_kier

Juniors
OK - on a whim I bought a 1975 Holden Ute at an auction yesterday, 4.2 litre V8 engine, column shift auto transmission.

It needs a bit of work, but only fine tuning (chassis/body work are fine).

I'd like to try to do some of the work myself, such as trying to adjust the transmission (it stalls a lot) and the starter motor (tempramental).

My problem is that I have been in the past the opposite of a petrol head.......I probably wouldn't recognise an air filter if someone tried to beat me around the head with one.

Does any one know of any web sites that would cater for someone with my (lack of) abilities?

O

ozbash

kier, first off, you gotta get yourself some spanners mate.
go to repco and get yourself a reasonable 1/2 inch drive socket set and a set of ring spanners/open enders combo. $50 odd for the socket set and $30 for the ring spanners.

the starter motor is below the motor, either bottom left or right and is bolted to the trans bell housing usually by 2 bolts. easy to remove,dont drop it. take it out and take it to your local auto electrician to test/repair.they can be tricky beasts to DIY.

on your transmission it sounds like the bands need an adjustment, you can do this yourself but you will probably need a manual or someones advice.

whitcoulls sell very good repair manuals.

go to nite school and do a car fixerupper course
emdgust.gif

i have "the penguin book of the car" and "readers digest repair manual"here.i was going to chuck them but they are yours if you want them.good for people starting out..sing out

imported_kier

Juniors
cheers guys - looks as if I've got some work to do!

Tony I've got another copy of "At the George" that I found in Wgtn - are you still looking for a copy atm?

Why don't NINE-MSN Communities have editing of posts available?
I frequent a couple of other communities regularly (non-member), and visita few othersevery so often,and theyall have editing available of peoples posts. It's just good to know that if you make a mistake of any type, you can edit it atanytime.
I know these pages I visitare independently set up, but you'd think that the biggest community owner on the net would have this one small but effective toll available.
Is it that hard for NINE-MSN to put this tool on their communities?
Is there anything we, the members, can do?
Email, petition...anything?

"...one small but effective toll available."
There you go, see?
If we had editing available, we could fix up the most common problem...spelling errors. Among others...
:mad:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've noticed a number of improvements with Nine Msn forums over the last few years. I can only assume that editable posts are / wereconsidered.
Send them an email as members and give 'em a nudge.

O

ozbash

i was reading somewhere (our isp i think), that very soon msn forums are going to be voice enabled, ie, you speak instead of type. they have some way of compressing speech.

the implications are horrendous,, imagine the language from el dooks posts :eek: