What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go ahead!...ask us anything!

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Thanks Willow, both websites seem to go on about how good scientology is but I can't find the right link to give me the basic rundown on what they believe. In the paper they interviewed Tom Cruise, and they glossed over it and said something about a belief that aliens were the origin of life on earth.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
JoeD: "both websites seem to go on about how good scientology is but I can't find the right link to give me the basic rundown on what they believe"
LOL.. aint that always the way? ;)

From what I can gather the Scientologists basically believe in taking control of your life in the modern world. Their have been a number of similar organisations.. one even called themselves 'Own Your Life' - somewhat lacking in originality I know.
Scientology is family orientated, values driven and claims to be modern and up to date with world events and advances.

What they don't mention too often is that they are a full blown money making corporation. They gather money from followers and this is turned into investments with the controllers of the cult receiving the bulk of dividends. They use mind control techniques to lure people into their organisation.

L Ron Hubbard, aChristian from the Calvanist fold,founded icientology in the 1950s after several attempts to become a science fiction writer. He called his methods 'Dianetics' which is a form of pyshcotherapy only its more in line with regressive therapy.

In short, by combining christian / calvanist values, science fiction and regressive therapy, Hubbard came up with a spiritual doctrine that enabled himto makemoney... and it developed from there.

Hubbard came up with a spiritual doctrine that enabled himto makemoney
Astounding, must have been quite a clever fella to come up with such an original conceptdon't you think ;)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Joe:
They may have Aliens in their beliefs...I don't know. It wouldnt surprise me though.

The only reason I know anything about them is because years ago I was talked into taking one of their 'tests' by a young woman friend who I was keen on.
Afterwards they basically told me that I had some problems in my life which was news to me and tried to take me to the 'next level' so to speak. But I made a hasty retreat. I was later bombarded with junk mail.
I took objection to the way they tried to make me feel like I needed them to get my life in order.

The worst part of this sorry tale is that never did have my evil way with the girl in question so I lost out on all counts.
emcry.gif

El Duque

Bench
That Battlefield Earth was tragic. I think I gave it a mention in that old worst movie thread.

Don't Scientologidt have to pay 1/3rd of their dollars or some crap??

Benny Hinn is a bit of a shyster too.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Ah sucked in by love eh Willow, or was it lust?

I find it interesting that you hear about them quite a bit but few people actually know what their beliefs are.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think it was lust mate. lol

Youre right though. Everyone has heard of them but very few have an intimate knowledge of their beliefs. I think its because they don't have anything specific to offer. Just a load of mumbo-jumbo taking about control of your own life,accepting all the paraphenalia that comes with it and remembering to pay the invoices.

I think they set up some sort of an account which you pay into every month and in return they send you stuff which is supposed to keep you in touch with yourself and the world. Happy to be corrected on that.

Perhaps there is someone else who knows more about Scientology and can give a better answer.

I think they set up some sort of an account which you pay into every month and in return they send you stuff which is supposed to keep you in touch with yourself and the world.
Sounds like bloody Telstra :mad:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Irecall seeing the girl I mentioned sending off money and writing the cheque number on a Scientology invoice.
She said it was for stuff they sent her... mainly books about to do things that most us take for granted (like how to set up a cheque account for example..lol).

These are people who are looking for guidance and L Ron Hubbard is more than happy to oblige.

Having said that, I'm recalling incidents from the late 70s so we might need some clarification. I'm willing to bet that its still much the same, only bigger.

I'm surprised that no one has jumped in with more info.

Never really understood what they were about,always thought much along the same lines as JoeD that they were just Alien worshippers or somesuch. Wasn't aware they were big time intothe life control and teleshopping gig.Doesn't surprise though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm sure they are Steve. They say they are into family values and so on. Very conservative in that respect and therefore appealing to a large cross section of the community. But don't let that fool you... as far as I can see, they are still abusiness thats out to get your dough.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Found the extractI saw in the paper originally. Don't know how acurate it is though. Courtesy of Sunday Star Times. The reporter is talking about Tom Cruise.

This after all is a scientologist and scientologists believe that in the past billions of surplus beings from other planets were sent to Earth and slaughtered an evil alien called Xenu.

Pretty interesting. If you want to read the whole article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/sundaystartimes/0,2106,2184404a6005,00.html

however that is the only mention of aliens.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It is a fairly critical article Joe but it's also quite detailed.
In my experience this part is spot on:

"Another internal document says that the Test Evaluator "is to point out to the person by means of a personality test evaluation what is ruining his life, and to show him how Scientology can save him from that ruin ... when you point out a low score ... say `Scientology can handle that'." The test is designed to ensure that very few people have an acceptable personality profile. Scientology sales staff ("registrars") are extensively trained and drilled in hard-selling techniques. The first stage of recruitment is to focus the person's attention on the most distressing areas of his or her life (the "ruin"). Hypnotherapists might call this an "emotional induction". Any intense emotion tends to overwhelm critical thinking. The coolness of rational thinking is distinct from the heat of the emotions. The recruiter then plays upon the person's fear that the condition will worsen. Then the "solution" of Scientology is offered. Whatever the problem is, the immediate solution will almost always be a Communication Course, and indoctrination into Hubbard's ideas about Suppressive Persons". The article also pointed out the hard selling of Scientology products. Additionally, I noticed a section on how Scientologists are encouraged to ignore all criticism of the cult and basically keep their mouths shut.
This rings a bell.
I have met a few Scientologists and they won't talk about what goes on in the cult but do offer you an opportunity to to be introduced to the Evaluation Test. If we do have a forum lurker who is a Scientologist, it seems unlikely that they'll make the effort to enlighten us. This being because they have been brain-washed to avoid debates just like.

Yeh, im getting them all the time though, not just on LWOS (well i dont think so anyways). Is there anything amiss?

Cheers,
Moffo