What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goalkicking

trevcogger

Juniors
But I do remember a game where Joe Cool was going to be caught in goal from an oppositions kick... so he just strolled over to pick it up and pointed to the dead ball line... everyone stopped and looked to the ref and he took off and ran it out to the quarter line .
Think he was with Illawara though at the time , but he was still a hell of a fullback.
Joe Cool was top shelf...Tedesco is better though.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Sign Martin from the Dogs and try and do a deal where Holland comes with him....when Martin is off the field Holland can be back up kicker. Great kickers and both are as good as if not better than who we have in the same positions.

After the reserves got smashed today, does Gamble get a go in 1st grade purely based on his kicking ?

Does the team lose more based on his playing ability ? (Not blaming him for the loss in reserves today).

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Marsters should not be goal kicking fullstop.

If he is not up to it another player should be selected.
If he is affected by a recent death in the family he should given a few weeks off to clear his head.
If he is lacking confidence he needs to go back to reggies and realize how big and strong he is (Did wonders for Latrell)

When you are missing goals in front and tiredness is not a factor something is wrong, it is up to the coaching staff and senior players to identify this.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Marsters should not be goal kicking fullstop.

If he is not up to it another player should be selected.
If he is affected by a recent death in the family he should given a few weeks off to clear his head.
If he is lacking confidence he needs to go back to reggies and realize how big and strong he is (Did wonders for Latrell)

When you are missing goals in front and tiredness is not a factor something is wrong, it is up to the coaching staff and senior players to identify this.
Like to c the kid just concentrate on footy coz the stress from poor goalkicking is likely contributing to his drop in form

trevcogger

Juniors
You can bet every cent you have Marsters will be goalkicking against Broncos.
We are always stuck in mud when it comes to dropping poor performances going back to the days of Tim Sheens.
So we probably lose Thursday night over goalkicking.

super_coach

First Grade
In the presso the other night Madge basically said Masters is our kicker and nothing going to change things

trevcogger

Juniors
In the presso the other night Madge basically said Masters is our kicker and nothing going to change things

Exactly.......i heard it as well..
But he did say he needs to practice more.

Team selections has had a bad smell since Tim Sheens days......
Im starting to believe supporters know more about form than our selectors.

super_coach

First Grade
Exactly.......i heard it as well..
But he did say he needs to practice more.

Mate he could practice 24 hours a day,it will not change anything, it’s not in his DNA. Can anyone ever recall him kicking a goal from the sidelines. Even fatso Loahea could land them from out wide. Don’t get me wrong I am not bagging Masters, Mybe or someone else should have the gig

The Rosco

Bench
After the reserves got smashed today, does Gamble get a go in 1st grade purely based on his kicking ?

Does the team lose more based on his playing ability ? (Not blaming him for the loss in reserves today).
Well, a couple of weeks ago, the doggies blooded a couple of rookies. The Canterbury forum said Okenbur in particular wasn't setting the world on fire in the Cant. Cup. And Meaney was only doing slightly better.
I wonder if there's a way we could find out how that all went ?
Gamble has a LOT of upside. He has that creativity around the ruck we are bereft of.
He can kick goals.
He has a nice general kicking game.
He has a great step, and can ghost through defensive lines.
Is he ready ? . . . Dunno. Was Okenbor ? Was Meaney ?
Should we give him a genuine go in NRL ? . . . Well, either we do that, or we just keep doing the same thing and then expect different outcomes.

Tiger05

First Grade
Well, a couple of weeks ago, the doggies blooded a couple of rookies. The Canterbury forum said Okenbur in particular wasn't setting the world on fire in the Cant. Cup. And Meaney was only doing slightly better.
I wonder if there's a way we could find out how that all went ?
Gamble has a LOT of upside. He has that creativity around the ruck we are bereft of.
He can kick goals.
He has a nice general kicking game.
He has a great step, and can ghost through defensive lines.
Is he ready ? . . . Dunno. Was Okenbor ? Was Meaney ?
Should we give him a genuine go in NRL ? . . . Well, either we do that, or we just keep doing the same thing and then expect different outcomes.

I reckon Gamble deserves a chance. Could we play him in the centres ? If he can kick goals that to me sounds a good option.

Das Hassler

Bench
I reckon Gamble deserves a chance. Could we play him in the centres ? If he can kick goals that to me sounds a good option.

Haven't seen him so far this season but last year when things got heavy duty he didnt seem up to it.

Tiger05

First Grade
Haven't seen him so far this season but last year when things got heavy duty he didnt seem up to it.

I think he could do with a shot in the halves but I think we have a tonne of options there now. He was poor in his chance last year but he got one shot. I don't think that is enough to write him off however I wouldn't be giving McQueen a chance and he hasn't been given a look in.

The Rosco

Bench
Being not an NRL coach, I don't know what the answer is.
But we have zero creativity. Zero crafty attack near the opposition tryline.
How many 1 out runs did we make on Friday ? Dummy half, 1 pass, hit up tackle. Repeat. Repeat. Even if it gets us nowhere, repeat.
And, need I say it . . . we lost to the fkkn Clearys because we don't have an NRL standard goal kicker.
We do have a lower grade player that ticks all them boxes. He has bulked up significantly since last season.
Is it coincidence that the dogs are winning/competing since dropping 2 under-performers and replacing them with 2 juniors ?
Or, like I said, we could change absolutely nothing and just hope that the results will change.
I know what will happen.
We will keep doing what we are doing, then wonder why we keep getting what we've got.

Das Hassler

Bench
Fair point, Das.
How many of our starting team could you apply that to ?

Mm...i don't think there's too many issues with the current 17 in regards toughing out a hard defensive game....toughing out a win that absolutely has to be won ( melbourne style)...well that's definitely got a long way to go
To add....just dont have a lot of confidence in Gamble's defence being up to it yet

Latest posts