What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Stallion

First Grade
Maybe, if the demand isn't there no games for Sydney at all. Unless they can find some of these mythical "250,000 Bears fans".

Disrespecting a hundred plus year old club will get you nowhere. I'm not biting. Im not a Bears fan. But I have respect for history , locality and longevity. Then again that's the way these days from what Ive witnessed . Their are a multitude of NORTH Sydney Bears fans still alive and you disrespect such a club. RUDE!

jim_57

Staff member
Disrespecting a hundred plus year old club will get you nowhere. I'm not biting. Im not a Bears fan. But I have respect for history , locality and longevity. Then again that's the way these days from what Ive witnessed . Their are a multitude of NORTH Sydney Bears fans still alive and you disrespect such a club. RUDE!

You ok now?

To find 250,000 bears fans you'd have to do some serious digging.. literally.

Stallion

First Grade
You ok now?

To find 250,000 bears fans you'd have to do some serious digging.. literally.

Maybe I've caught the wrong end of a discussion? But thought that you were claiming that there were little or no Bears fans about. There are still many about.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Maybe Ive caughr the wrong end of a discussion. But thought that you were claiming that there were little or no Bears fans about. There are still many about.

I'm sure there are, but I have extreme doubts over the 250,000 figure quoted in the article and Bears and Perth.

Stallion

First Grade
I'm sure there are, but I have extreme doubts over the 250,000 figure quoted in the article and Bears and Perth.

My apologies . There are plenty of hibernating Bears fans though . Enough to justify coming back from an unfairly enforced hibernation . Just think like other clubs they would gain fans for all sorts of reasons if they were given a chance. I still think Central Coast is a good fit but Adelaide to keep the implosionists happy if necessary.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Most of the Bears fans I know have moved on, and of the ones that are still around a lot wouldn't support the Bears unless they were the NS Bears or the CC Bears...

I have no doubt that if the Bears were to come back they'd have huge support from the old fans in Sydney for the first few years, but almost all of that support would drop off after the initial excitement had waned and almost all would fall back into the normal routine of their lives and wouldn't be ardent supporters of the club going forward.

Honestly I don't really have an opinion on a Perth Bears bid, I think it's unnecessary for Perth and only really benefits the Bears, but I'm not against the idea either, but the amount of actual active support that the Bears could draw these days is massively overstated, and frankly the talks of a huge support base of Bears fans waiting to re-emerge is beyond fanciful.

Realistically once the initial excitement had died down the Bears would be lucky to draw a few grand in active supporters from the old Bears fan base.

Stallion

First Grade
They could barely crack 10k fans when alive, seriously how many left now? Certainly not enough to screw WA over I’d suggest.

If I were a Bears franchise person a targeted survey for potential support would be a wise thing to do. I'm still of the opinion that the Central Coast is their best option with maintaining and strengthening their original North Sydney area. However Adelaide Bears may be viable given the synergy of the Red and black colours with the state of South Australia. Any thoughts of coming in on the well established and organized West Coast Pirates franchise bid is scurrilous.

King hit

Coach
They could barely crack 10k fans when alive, seriously how many left now? Certainly not enough to screw WA over I’d suggest.

I personally know quite a few people who were passionate Norths fans my dad being one of them. If I can find a few I bet there would be thousands. They already have thousands of signed on members so the following would be there.

taipan

Referee
I personally know quite a few people who were passionate Norths fans my dad being one of them. If I can find a few I bet there would be thousands. They already have thousands of signed on members so the following would be there.

I'm of the same view and experience.

T-Boon

Coach
I think the Bear mascot and colours could attract a lot of new fans.
The bear is a cool as shit animal and would destroy most of the mascots in the NRL. Just go Youtube footage of bears eating things like rabbits etc or that over rated sanctimonious twit Leonardo DiCaprio.
The red and black colours are also an attractive and powerful combo.
I think kids would like the Bears where ever they play.

King hit

Coach
The Bears are also a very likeable club that would have respect throughout the competition from the vast majority of clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Add yellow and white into the jersey, an all WA board, clad iron guarantee the license won’t move out of WA, reserve grade based in wa, wa to continue its Sg Ball and under 20’s jnr program, guaranteed $1mill a year from the bears into the funding and it might be worth considering! Other than that f**k off and leach off someone else’s hard work!

Pirates have just launched a membership program to commence building a fanbase ready for nsw Cup 2020 and nrl possibly 2022/23. Bears timing couldn’t be worse!

Stallion

First Grade
Add yellow and white into the jersey, an all WA board, clad iron guarantee the license won’t move out of WA, reserve grade based in wa, wa to continue its Sg Ball and under 20’s jnr program, guaranteed $1mill a year from the bears into the funding and it might be worth considering! Other than that f**k off and leach off someone else’s hard work!

Pirates have just launched a membership program to commence building a fanbase ready for nsw Cup 2020 and nrl possibly 2022/23. Bears timing couldn’t be worse!

West Coast Pirates is a great branding name! Can easily attract the kids and shows where in OZ they are located. Bears can keep trying for a underepresented wasted Central Coast region or a future South Australian franchise as the Adelaide Bears. That's their plot as I see it.

With all the deathriding you've done of other teams this is hilarious. You are the lowest merkin on LU

jim_57

Staff member
With all the deathriding you've done of other teams this is hilarious. You are the lowest merkin on LU

He's pretty spot on to be honest. The Pirates and Reds have been working towards an NRL team for 10 years, now there is talk of expansion and Perth are obvious favorites the Bears are suddenly interested?

Move to Adelaide and do some hard work.

jim_57

Staff member
Genuine question, what do the Bears actually do to have a claim for the Central Coast these days? I may be wrong but it kind of feels like they claim it as theirs even while grasping at Gold Coast/Perth etc and not actually doing much for the Central Coast.

jim_57

Staff member
As if they haven't already done enough hard work

I understand that, but just because they put in effort years ago doesn't make Central Coast a good bussiness decision for expanding the NRL. The latest approach of trying to latch on to any sniff of an NRL team isn't the right way either. If they bit the bullet and got in 100% behind Adelaide they may be a chance.