What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

taipan

Referee
I attended match at Seagulls between Bulldogs and (think it was then Giants).Tucked away in the back end of Tweed Heads,suburban backstreets, never really going to become anything big.
Central coast is the meat between the NRL sandwich of the Knights and Sydney.

I'd have 2 Roosters games there against the Knights and Manly.
1 Manly V Knights.

If the can crack 16,000 at each there, more than worth the effort.

Peet

Juniors
Why aren't the NSW Intrust Cup Bears team on the Central Coast? 'North Sydney' is history. Perhaps a strong CC Bears will push for a NRL licence - it has no hope at NSO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why aren't the NSW Intrust Cup Bears team on the Central Coast? 'North Sydney' is history. Perhaps a strong CC Bears will push for a NRL licence - it has no hope at NSO.

Why would they? It’s clear to them now cc is never getting an expansion side so why waste their time and money on the area? They have no obligation or benefit to them in doing so.

siv

First Grade

They did badge themselves as the CC Bears in reserve grade one year

After about a month they were forced to drop the CC reference

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Why were they forced to remove it?

Probably because the CC Mariners in the A-League have a monopoly on the Central Coast brand.

I have a left field idea though. Maybe the Bears could drop the "Coast" part of the name and try to launch themselves at the "Central Bears" and take up a bid opportunity in Adelaide. They would be the only club that covers the central part of Australia, Adelaide has a brand new stadium there.... and play a few games on the Central Coast each year.... Could work.

taipan

Referee
Probably because the CC Mariners in the A-League have a monopoly on the Central Coast brand.

I have a left field idea though. Maybe the Bears could drop the "Coast" part of the name and try to launch themselves at the "Central Bears" and take up a bid opportunity in Adelaide. They would be the only club that covers the central part of Australia, Adelaide has a brand new stadium there.... and play a few games on the Central Coast each year.... Could work.

East Coast Bears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The bears are not coming back into the nrl and there will never be a team based at Gosford. You read it here first.

King hit

Coach
The bears are not coming back into the nrl and there will never be a team based at Gosford. You read it here first.

What will you say if there is?

I think it would be great to see Gosford have regular games. The central coast bid is a very good one with every chance of being a success.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What will you say if there is?

I think it would be great to see Gosford have regular games. The central coast bid is a very good one with every chance of being a success.

There is no central coast bid, and I won’t have to say anything as I’ll be long gone from this earth before there’s a full time nrl club in Gosford.

ReddFelon

Juniors
There is no central coast bid, and I won’t have to say anything as I’ll be long gone from this earth before there’s a full time nrl club in Gosford.

I think reducing 2 teams from Sydney and having one at the Central Coast stadium and a permanent tenant at Wollongong would be better for the sport. Vastly better stadiums than all of the suburban grounds in Sydney, barring Penrith.

jim_57

Staff member
I think reducing 2 teams from Sydney and having one at the Central Coast stadium and a permanent tenant at Wollongong would be better for the sport. Vastly better stadiums than all of the suburban grounds in Sydney, barring Penrith.

Manly are probably in the box seat if any team is going to relocate to Gosford. The Brookvale situation will reach a breaking point eventually.

As for Bears, set up in Adelaide or Wellington and they may stand a chance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s going to have taken at least 12 years for the nrl to expand to 18 clubs with two obvious expansion areas in Perth and brisbane2. It will be at least another 15 years after that if not longer before any other teams come in. Gosford may get a relocation but it’s highly unlikely now clubs are getting such massive grants and the nrl seems to have gone cool on enticing it. Is no anywhere bears, no Gosford sea-eagles.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
It’s going to have taken at least 12 years for the nrl to expand to 18 clubs with two obvious expansion areas in Perth and brisbane2. It will be at least another 15 years after that if not longer before any other teams come in. Gosford may get a relocation but it’s highly unlikely now clubs are getting such massive grants and the nrl seems to have gone cool on enticing it. Is no anywhere bears, no Gosford sea-eagles.
Queensland can't keep the three teams they have viable. No way do they get a fourth.

The biggest growth area in the game right now is the Pacific Islands.

A second team based out of Auckland (branded as "South Pacific") drawing from the islands and all the island kids who move to Auckland for a better quality of life would be a much, much more viable option.

siv

First Grade

I wonder if the new Easts - Norths affiliation will translate into Norths replacing Manly in a reincarnation of the Beagles but just known as North Sydney Bears

The North Sydney Bears believe realistically they could be back in the NRL in 2024.
But the fun for their long-suffering fans would begin a year earlier, when the club hopes they will be one of 12 teams competing for promotion under a new two-tier format.

The new TV rights deal will start with the 2023 season, and by then Bears CEO David Perry hopes the NRL and state bodies, in cooperation with the game’s broadcasting partners, will be further aligned and have agreed to a relegation model similar to what the English Super League employs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/e8529e80eb9129a71d6153c921900f13
Perry — who was appointed to the role in September — envisages two 12 team competitions, with the bottom two sides from the first-grade competition being demoted and replaced by the top two place-getters from the second-grade.

And the Bears are getting their ducks in a row to ensure they’re in the box seat to take advantage if it comes to fruition.

The former Manly Sea Eagles boss believes the two-tier system needs to be discussed in the interest of the game’s survival and growth in this highly competitive sporting landscape.

He stresses the current system is flawed and as a result the game is plateauing.

There are clubs, he continues, that aren’t sustainable in their current state, and the Bears boasting a catchment from the burgeoning North Sydney business district to Lake Munmorah on the Central Coast clearly cover a key market for the game’s growth.

“I think the relegation system would be an important step for the game,” Perry told foxsports.com.au exclusively.

“You need 12 and 12, so 24 key markets, and stricter criteria about those clubs around their funding model which means all of the 24 may not fit the top tier criteria, it may only be 16-18 franchises that make the cut, their catchment areas, their population, and their commercial growth.

“Because currently I believe a lot of clubs haven’t been accountable as much as they should have. They’ve been too reliant on funding from the NRL and haven’t been measurable enough.

“There’s no reason why a club that’s existed for 70 or 80 years, or 40 or 50 years, should have the right to have their brand stay lonesome on their own if they’re not performing at the levels required across the board, they’re not meeting the standards and criteria that the game expects or needs to generate the right amount of funding to survive.

“The relegation system for mine, and those people in the game that have looked at it, is clearly an opportunity for the NRL to spread its wings further in key markets and have those second tier clubs feel more engaged because they are critical and they’re the pathway for the game’s future success.”

That’s not to say the Bears won’t strike before that — Perry is a savvy operator and the leadership team doesn’t have the blinkers on.

But he says the two-tier system is the most likely pathway back to the top-flight, because it’s also the most logical next step for the game to re-engage all fans by giving their teams hope of making the top tier competition.

“Imagine knowing the additional support the Bears would get in the second tier competition if there was hope the following season they could be included based on field performance,” he points out.

“It would be great for the game and fans, and would ensure the top tier clubs would not only have to perform on the field but meet certain standards off it.”

706347_640x360_large_20181109131928.jpg

Barrett a no show at Manly

0:35
The foundation club spent years establishing a presence on the Central Coast and preparing a rebranded bid when talk of expansion heated up under former CEO David Gallop.

When that administration decided the time wasn’t right for expansion they waited for another opportunity.

That came when the NRL put the Gold Coast Titans licence up for sale, but ultimately they didn’t go through with the proposal as it just wasn’t suitable.

Those attempts at readmission don’t seem to be lost causes now.

The Bears brand garnered huge local support on the Central Coast from that first bid, and then they attracted a powerful portfolio of private investors when preparing to take over the Gold Coast franchise.

“We’re not emotionally caught up in this, we love the Bears but we have a business model which is suitable for the game when the time’s right,” he said.

“The Bears already have more than 200,000 avid fans. As Billy Moore once said, there are 200,000-odd customers ready to be re-engaged, what business doesn’t want to re-engage those?

“So we’d be ready now if an opportunity presented itself and we’re just waiting to get that tap, but if that means preparing for the two-tier model then we’ll have a model the NRL won’t be able to ignore.”

While the dialogue continues, the Bears are focused on making sure the on-field performances from the Intrust Super Cup down to the under 16s are worthy of the fans’ support while also being more active in the community to ensure the club is seen.

And they‘ve clearly made important strides already, aligning themselves with the Sydney Roosters and unveiling Jason Taylor as the new head coach with five pathway teams and a junior league base to underpin their massive population catchment.

Big Salad

Juniors
I know there's an article about the Bears NRL bid every couple of months, but I wouldn't have thought that wasting one of those opportunities on a ridiculous, pie in the sky scenario like 24 teams promotion/relegation would be helpful to them.

Latest posts