What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast on Agenda

Anonymous

Juniors
AUCKLAND WARRIORS
WELLINGTON BULLDOGS
BRISBANE BRONCOS
GOLD COAST SHARKS
LOS ANGELES - NTH QLD COWBOYS
PERTH SEA EAGLES
ADELAIDE RABBITOHS
MELBOURNE STORM
CANBERRA RAIDERS
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
ST GEORGE DRAGONS
NORTH SYDNEY BEARS
PENRITH PANTHERS
PARRAMATTA EELS
WESTS TIGERS
EASTS ROOSTERS

Thats 16 teams.

salivor

First Grade
1. Brisbane Broncos
2. Eastern Suburbs Roosters
3. Central Coast Bears (New Team)
4. Parramatta Eels
5. St George-Illawara Dragons
6. Canterbury Bulldogs
7. Newcastle Knights
8. Gold Coast Sharks (Cronulla relocation)
9. Adelaide Eagles (Manly relocation)
10. Canberra Raiders
11. Melbourne Storm
12. Auckland Warriors
13. Wellington (New Team)
14. North Queensland Cowboys
15. South Queensland (New Team)
16. Perth Rabbitohs (Souths relocation)
17. Wests Tigers
18. Penrith Panthers

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Two conferences:

Conference A (Greater Sydney):
Balmain Tigers
Canterbury Bulldogs
Cronulla Sharks
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Illawarra Steelers
Manly Sea Eagles
North Sydney Bears
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies

Conference B (Non-Sydney):
Adelaide Rams
Auckland Warriors
Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Central Coast Jets
Gold Coast Seagulls
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
North Queensland Cowboys
South Queensland Crushers
Wellington Kiwis
Western Reds

That's 12 teams per conference. Play each team in your own conference twice. That's 22 weeks. 3 weeks in the middle for SOO + 1 week in the middle for test match (either NZ or GB). Comes to 26 weeks.

Finals consist of top four from each conference.

dannyboy

Juniors
Hardly seems fair on conference B who have to do heavy duty road-trips whereas conference A is predominantly the old sydney based competition (just swap the steelers for the jets). We've moved on some 20+ years since then (that's a whole generation grandpa)

dimitri

First Grade
have the teams we have now

but i think unless the rabbitohs get some backing in the future they may struggle financially (just a possibility)

bears on central coast

and a team on gold coast

bring back

reds and rams

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
you see,nearly everyone wants a truly national comp with sydney teams moving.

HOW WE AS THE FANS GET THEM TO DO IT?????????????????????

Anonymous

Juniors
ParraEelsNRL said:
you see,nearly everyone wants a truly national comp with sydney teams moving.

HOW WE AS THE FANS GET THEM TO DO IT?????????????????????
Personally, I think spreading the Sydney comp into a national comp has hasn't worked at all.

IMO, a better option would have been to continue to nuture (and if neccessary, instigate) City and Rural competitions and have a national representative competition develop from that. With that model, the 'NRL' (or whatever we call it) would still be able to develop into NZ, PNG, UK and beyond... the Super League dream but without the war and without shaftng traditions.

We possibly would have developed a system which is similar to Union's Super 12 (years before they thought o fit) but unlike Union, still have a strong game at club level in Sydney and Brisbane.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Willow i agree 100% with you.

but you have to agree that we have to many teams in sydney for it to be a truly NATIONAL comp.

i know ppl will say leave it alone,but we have the product,LETS USE IT TO THE FULL :D

dimitri

First Grade
i agree it hasnt worked at all

having a national comp which only represents 3 states and a territory even if they are the most populus seems a bit silly

Anonymous

Juniors
ParraEelsNRL said:

but you have to agree that we have to many teams in sydney for it to be a truly NATIONAL comp.

i know ppl will say leave it alone,but we have the product,LETS USE IT TO THE FULL :D

Thats what I said, it's not a national comp. It's still the Sydney comp with lots of blow ins. I mean this from a Sydney perspective. Wouldnt it have been better to give greater support to the separate Brisbane and Sydney competitions?

Think about a different situation with the Sydney competition expanding to include Canberra, Newcastle and the Illawarra and few rationalisations along the way.
Then think about the Brisbane competition which expands into a stronger and larger State competition which includes the Gold Coast and Townsville. With no Broncos, the competition's success stood a better chance.

When the Sydney Comp began expanding to include Brisbane, I was a little disappointed. There were my mates who didnt want a Brisbane team in the Sydney competition but I was more concerned that it would ultimately be to the detriment of the Brisbane comp.

It didn't seem right to have a Brisbane team in the NSWRL and I'm sure it didnt feel right to a lot of Queenslanders who saw their own competition relegated to Metropolitain Cup standard while Sydney snatched the combined Brisbane team for their competition.

We ended up with a ramshackle of an idea that made the greatest amount of money in the shortest period of time.

What I'm saying is that it would have been wiser for the ARL, QRL and NSWRL to support a Brisbane/Qld comp and a Sydney/NSW comp separately thereby playing to our strengths. If that happened, I doubt very much if Super League would have got off the ground and we would have the platform and the money to launch into a truly national and international competition.

I was always of the opinion that more time should have been spent on nuturing regional competitions and that this should have been going on since the 1960s. Instead, the League insisted on running with half-cocked ideas whch would have the greatest short term returns... most of this 'development' coming from a club level which always invites its own agenda... and this still does today.

beast

Juniors
Being a passionate Bears man I naturally want see the Bears given a licence on the Central Coast as per their original intentions circa 1999.

I never had a problem with the Gold Coast and thought they were a political sacrifice to the politics of the day, ostensibly the Broncos.
Now the Gold Coast consortium will continue to be opposed by the Broncos, themselves a private company and one that has been trading poorly of late and will not want any competition in SE Qld as per their agreement with the News/NRL that is valid to the end of 2004.

I believe there will be a relocation to the Gold Coast of one of 3 Sydney teams or a Victorian team. All the above have been in negotiation with the GC Consortium and the News/NRL. All the above are struggling under large debt which cannot be cleared without News/NRL intervention..and that intervention will come at a price..relocate and receive millions or maybe stay and go under.

dimitri

First Grade
relocating the storm to the coast will achieve nothing

it will just make thew VIC fans just as pi$$ed off as the SA and WA fans who had their team taken away from them

I can see the merit however of encouraging a sydney team to move to the gold coast if they fear they will not be able to cover their debts playing in sydney

If we can do this and bring the bears back

we will have an amazing comp

covering

Melbourne
Canberra
Wollongong
Sydney
Newcastle
Central Coast
Gold Coast
Brisbane
North Queensland (townsville, cairns etc)
and Auckland/NZ

however eventually perth, adelaide and wellington are going to have to come in

and the only way i can see this happening is if their is further rationilisation of sydney teams or relocations of sydney teams

dimitri

First Grade
if you compare that list above

to AFL

Melbourne
Sydney
Brisbane
Adelaide
Perth/Fremantle

then we are looking in great shape

iggy plop

First Grade
Willow said:
ParraEelsNRL said:

Thats what I said, it's not a national comp. It's still the Sydney comp with lots of blow ins. I mean this from a Sydney perspective. Wouldnt it have been better to give greater support to the separate Brisbane and Sydney competitions?

Think about a different situation with the Sydney competition expanding to include Canberra, Newcastle and the Illawarra and few rationalisations along the way.
Then think about the Brisbane competition which expands into a stronger and larger State competition which includes the Gold Coast and Townsville. With no Broncos, the competition's success stood a better chance.

When the Sydney Comp began expanding to include Brisbane, I was a little disappointed. There were my mates who didnt want a Brisbane team in the Sydney competition but I was more concerned that it would ultimately be to the detriment of the Brisbane comp.

It didn't seem right to have a Brisbane team in the NSWRL and I'm sure it didnt feel right to a lot of Queenslanders who saw their own competition relegated to Metropolitain Cup standard while Sydney snatched the combined Brisbane team for their competition.

We ended up with a ramshackle of an idea that made the greatest amount of money in the shortest period of time.

What I'm saying is that it would have been wiser for the ARL, QRL and NSWRL to support a Brisbane/Qld comp and a Sydney/NSW comp separately thereby playing to our strengths. If that happened, I doubt very much if Super League would have got off the ground and we would have the platform and the money to launch into a truly national and international competition.

I was always of the opinion that more time should have been spent on nuturing regional competitions and that this should have been going on since the 1960s. Instead, the League insisted on running with half-cocked ideas whch would have the greatest short term returns... most of this 'development' coming from a club level which always invites its own agenda... and this still does today.

Nice ideas, but while poker-machine rich sydney clubs were plundering the local brisbane comp, the thought of no national comp doesn't even deserve a second thought. I'm sure Brisbane people would love their old comp with all the best players, but the sydney clubs had other ideas. The broncos had to happen and so must a second brisbane side.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
The answer's simple. Remove all clubs from Sydney and start from scratch. No more Eels, Bulldogs, Dragons and so on. Completey new teams representing the different points of Sydney.

1. Melbourne
2. Canberra
3. New Zealand
4. Illawarra
5. Newcastle
6. Gold Coast
7. Brisbane
8. North Queensland
9. Adelaide
10. Perth
11. Central Coast
12. Penrith
13. Sydney West
14. Sydney East
15. Sydney Central
16 Sydney South

There you have it. Teams from all parts of Australia. Including 5 in Sydney to appease fans. 8 if you include CC, Newcastle and Illawarra. The large Penrith region deserves to keep its identity. Sydney teams have new colours with no nicks at all. No one can use "Bulldogs" for instance. A team plays out of Aussie. One at Cambletown which has its capacity increased to 30,000. One or two play at either Parramatta or Telstra. Maybe even the Liverpool stadium could be given the go ahead. A second Brisbane team could be added at the expence of the Central Sydney team.

Far fetched? Maybe. Maybe its the only way the game can really expand. 16 teams would keep the costs overall for the comp down as oppossed to having 18 or 20 again. That way teams like Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth can be kept afloat in difficult times. Or given some consession's.

Personally I think its a great idea(all my ideas are). Question is. What do YOU guys think.

Mark Rudd said:
Question is. What do YOU guys think.

I think that's the lamest post in this entire thread (which is an achievement in itself).

Let's abolish the entire heritage of the game - not modify it, relocate it, merge it - you want to go further and abolish it and start from scratch.

Let's call the first season year zero of the Pol Pot Rugby League. :roll:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Dean Moriarty said:
I think that's the lamest post in this entire thread (which is an achievement in itself).

Let's abolish the entire heritage of the game - not modify it, relocate it, merge it - you want to go further and abolish it and start from scratch.

Let's call the first season year zero of the Pol Pot Rugby League. :roll:

Amazing.

Dean - possibly for the first time it seems we actually agree on something. :shock:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Simo

First Grade
Mark youve made unsubstaniated claims before, but that was by far and away in my opinion the worst solution possible.

Read what Dean said.

Simple answer indeed!!!