What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

thuganomics

Coach
Are You still a fan of the Golden Point after we saw the Broncoes give it all they have got and then lose in ET And get nothing in return?

AdamH

Juniors
i reckon at the end of the regular 80 minutes, if the scores are still tied each team earns 1 competition point. Then they battle it out for an additional point in Extra Time.

In other words tonight Newcastle would receive 2 competition points for drawing in regular time and winning in extra time, and Brisbane would receive 1 competition. That's fair to the losing side but keeps the excitement of Golden Point.

P.S. I'm all for Golden Point.

pcpp

Juniors
Yes. Golden Point is still good, even though my favourite team lost.

It adds a huge sense of excitement to the game. Did you hear the 33000 fans in Suncorp?

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
Golden Point is good for the viewer but I would go with whatever the players want.
If it is too hard physically then revert back, I say poll the players.

thickos

First Grade
Agreed with what was mentioned earlier - 1 point for a golden point loser, as what happens in NHL ice hockey when the game goes to extra time.

Pantherjim.

Referee
No. Never have been a fan of "The golden point rule" And last night's game was a classic example of why the draw should be brought back. i.e. Both Broncos and Knights played exceptional football, and both teams equally deserved to win a competition point. I actually feel sorry for the Broncos as they played really well and deserved something out of last nights efforts.

You can talk about the "excitement factor" all you like, but quite frankly, if you need to keep changing the rules of the game to make it more exciting, then you are, by and large, very hard to please IMO.

Rugby league isn't exciting enough already??? :roll:

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

supersoniceagle

Juniors
I think it's great, however you've got to feel for the losing team. I was at the first golden point game when Manly played Parra, and even though the crowd was fairly small, the atmosphere was awesome!

Gidsgal

Juniors
Yeah, i'm a fan of it, and I would be even if the Knights had lost, i think it adds excitment to the game!!

knights04

Bench
The only instances extra time should be used is NRL finals and perhaps State of Origin where it was first brought into place from. It was an ugly win and both sides should have gone away with a point each for their troubles. Souths vs Tigers is another game to relate to the stupidity of this rule. To me 80 mins is enough time for a result regardless if it's deadlocked and going into extra time is just senseless as it rewards one team over the other.

~knights~

Juniors
Ok

Why doesn't the Captain of th teamwho won the toss...want to receive the ball?????

Parra won the toss and lost game and ditto last night?

ibeme

First Grade
Because they're hoping that they'll pressure them into making a mistake by focussing their defensive efforts into one set of tackles.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We seem to get some sort of controversy each time there is a golden point game.

Me thinks this issue is still not resolved.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Pantherjim. said:
No. Never have been a fan of "The golden point rule" And last night's game was a classic example of why the draw should be bought back. i.e. Both Broncos and Knights played exceptional football, and both teams equally deserved to win a competition point. I actually feel sorry for the Broncos as they played really well and deserved something out of last nights efforts.

You can talk about the "excitement factor" all you like, but quite frankly, if you need to keep changing the rules of the game to make it more exciting, then you are, by and large, very hard to please IMO.

Rugby league isn't exciting enough already??? :roll:

Pantherjim.

Agreed, bring back the draws, they were just as exciting and just as good as losing game where you shouldve won.

What was wrong draws in the first place?

fatshark

Bench
I think the fact that you left a game feeling a bit empty about getting one point. Some people didnt like that. I dont feel sorry for the Broncos at all. They to have won a golden point game and broke the other teams heart(Canberra?).

Hass

Juniors
I'm not a fan of Golden Point. It's an artificial creation for my liking. There is no reason why one team has to walk away from the match victorious.

After 80 minutes of football we had a result- it said Newcastle and Brisbane were equals in this match. The ladder would have reflected this by giving them one point each.

Some draws can feel like wins, while others can feel like losses. Some can just feel numb - That's sport. You have a range of different emotions that have the potential to come out. You don't have to have somebody enjoying the highest of highs and somebody else suffering the lowest of lows. If it pans out that way all well and good - but don't artificially create a situation where that must happen.

Despite my opposition I'm a realist and think that it's here to stay. If that is the case then we should give sides 3 points for a win. If the match goes into extra time then it's 2 points for the winner and 1 for the loser.

It seems a hell of a lot fairer to me than the current arrangement and you can bet your bottom that you'd still have an equal amount of excitement generated. Those teams would be fighting for that extra point like no tomorrow.

If no team had won after the 10 minute period was up then they would both only get one point.

Cheers.

Eels Dude

Coach
Twizzle said:
We seem to get some sort of controversy each time there is a golden point game.

Me thinks this issue is still not resolved.

That's a good point. Both Wests and Parramatta had reason to complain over issues in their golden point losses earlier this year. A point for the losers trouble methinks.

Pantherjim.

Referee
bedsy said:
I'm a fan of it for SOO, not for club games.

Agreed. Golden point for S.O.O. other rep games, Semi, Preliminary and Grand Finals. Get rid of it for weekly club rounds though.

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

Latest posts