What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Iafeta

Referee
I must admit I absolutely hated Golden Point. It was to me artificial - there seemed nothing wrong with a draw. I cite the Warriors come from behind draw with the Dogs two/three years ago as an example of a magnificent draw.

Until the Warriors played Souths last year. "THAT" field goal by Stacey Jones was unfreakin believable. It opened another chapter in the Stacey Jones Warriors Memoires. Something that each Warrior fan is incredibly proud of.

After the game, the euphoria amongst the Warriors fans was amazing at the ground. Okay, so it was Souths, and we should have been disappointed with a 30 all draw. But for 2-3 minutes the heart rate went up an extra notch, the nails took an extra pounding, and we got to see something extra special from a very special player. We left not with the memory of how unenthusiastic they were for the first 50, we left not just with the memories of Iafeta Paleaaesina's 50 metre goal line run to put Toopi under the sticks. We left not just with the memories of Brad Watts carving the Warriors up. We left with a slice of magic that in 80 minutes on normal adrenalin we may not have seen.

I'm sure it would have cut me up if we had of lost, but in hindsight I would have seen a spectacle and Souths would have had to do something special to win it also. Something my hard earned money would have deserved to see.

How good would that Warriors/Bulldogs game (I alluded to at the top) have been if we were allowed to see another 3/4 minutes of end to end dodg' ems? Simply magical.

JW

Coach
I'm undecided on it.

Put simply, in my opinion - Golden Point is a fantastic thing when you win, and tears your guts out when you lose.

With the Broncos, I've experienced both with the win over Melbourne and the loss to the Knights.

I got over last night in a flash though, and just reflected on what a fabulous game I'd just witnessed, win or loss.

Cheers.

greeneyed

First Grade
AdamH said:
i reckon at the end of the regular 80 minutes, if the scores are still tied each team earns 1 competition point. Then they battle it out for an additional point in Extra Time.

In other words tonight Newcastle would receive 2 competition points for drawing in regular time and winning in extra time, and Brisbane would receive 1 competition. That's fair to the losing side but keeps the excitement of Golden Point.

P.S. I'm all for Golden Point.

That is the most ridiculous proposal I have ever seen in this forum. So 1 game should be given a weight of 3 points just because it happens to be drawn at full time? How fair is that to other teams who can only get 2 points or zero points from a game? Honestly. Have a think.

Nikki

Coach
supersoniceagle said:
I think it's great, however you've got to feel for the losing team. I was at the first golden point game when Manly played Parra, and even though the crowd was fairly small, the atmosphere was awesome!

Yeah I was at that game too... and I cried! Then went thru it again a couple of weeks ago against Cronulla. It really hurts and I hate the rule. Even felt sick watching last nights extra time and I dont support either team (but tipped the Bronc's). Agreed it would be good for the loosing team to come away with 1 point. I mean you play so well to get to a draw, its heartbreaking to walk away with nothing.

thuganomics

Coach
greeneyed said:
AdamH said:
i reckon at the end of the regular 80 minutes, if the scores are still tied each team earns 1 competition point. Then they battle it out for an additional point in Extra Time.

In other words tonight Newcastle would receive 2 competition points for drawing in regular time and winning in extra time, and Brisbane would receive 1 competition. That's fair to the losing side but keeps the excitement of Golden Point.

That is the most ridiculous proposal I have ever seen in this forum. So 1 game should be given a weight of 3 points just because it happens to be drawn at full time? How fair is that to other teams who can only get 2 points or zero points from a game? Honestly. Have a think.

Yer very true.

Hass

Juniors
greeneyed said:
AdamH said:

Greeneyed. That's why I made the proposal that every match have 3 points for a win.

That way you can have 3 for a win and 0 for a loss along with 2 for an Extra time win and 1 for an Extra Time loss.

In the situation that we saw tonight with Souths and the Cowboys both teams would only get one point. This obviously rules out the possibility of collusion between teams and it would encourage attacking football in the Golden Point period.

I may not like the Golden Point, but if it is here to stay we might as well try and make it as fair as possible.

Cheers.

thuganomics

Coach
3 points for a win :?:

Naaaaa.

I say it is fine the way it is. As Sterlo said. Sport is about the Extreme highs and the lowest of lows. If you lose....Better luck next time.

DIEHARD

----
A game should be worth 2 points and only 2 points. Golden point extra time is double or nothing, that is what makes it so brilliant and so thrilling.

Im a Broncos fan who was at Lang Park, we lost but it was a great game. I still support the golden point, even more so now. You should have seen the crowd, it was a buzz.

Go the golden point!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cowboys 20 Souths 20

What's that I hear you say, how can that be.

What about the golden point.

***MH***

Bench
Twizzle said:
Cowboys 20 Souths 20

i hope your being either sarcastic or bloody stupid. everyone who still has their left nut would know it remains a draw if the scores are locked after extra-time.

pcpp

Juniors
Some guy suggested in another thread (I forgot who)

4 points for a win
2 points for a draw
0 points for a loss
3 points for a extra point win
1 point for a extra point loss

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mighty Heighty said:
Twizzle said:
Cowboys 20 Souths 20

i hope your being either sarcastic or bloody stupid. everyone who still has their left nut would know it remains a draw if the scores are locked after extra-time.

You don't recognise sarcasm to well, after all the discussions that have been posted here recently.

And my anatomy is still in check.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
pcpp said:
Some guy suggested in another thread (I forgot who)

4 points for a win
2 points for a draw
0 points for a loss
3 points for a extra point win
1 point for a extra point loss

looks perfect to me :D

if you wanted to go further, it would be flexible enough so that you could have bonus points introduced also

Latest posts