What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

lockyno1

Post Whore
This is my opinion, athough some people may disagree. I think this would solve some of the problems

You get 4 points for a win
2 points for a draw
1 point for taking it to golden point

At least this way you get some points for taking it to golden point

With golden point it should be a golden "try" :clap:

Come on tell me that you like having a field-goal-a-thon.

That is my opinion

Phillips

Referee
golden point is good and should stay...who cares if you win by a field goal/penalty kick or try

NPK

Bench
Golden try has problems though..what happens if 1 team kicks 3 penalty goals in golden try time, and then the other team scores a try - do they win even though they have scored less points?!

I suggest 2 things:

1) get rid of field goals altogether

2) either a try or a 'try equivalent' wins the game. ie. a try, 2 penalty goals or 1 goal and 2 field goals will win, but not just 1 field goal as happens now.

That would stop the ridiculous field goal shootouts, and also make the defensive team be disciplined, as 2 penalty goals will end the game.

Getting rid of field goals all together would be a bloody stupid idea. I like the concept of 'golden try', but a field goal is a valid way of winning a game in regulation time. No problems with that at all. It's not like they get kicked that often.

Pigskin

Juniors
"Golden Try" would cause offsides all over the shop. Solution = any infringement that warrants a penalty, that player is sin-binned or basically gone for the game.

I personally prefer "Golden Four" - first team to score 4 points wins by any combination they please.

Oink !

NPK

Bench
Pigskin said:
"Golden Try" would cause offsides all over the shop. Solution = any infringement that warrants a penalty, that player is sin-binned or basically gone for the game.

I personally prefer "Golden Four" - first team to score 4 points wins by any combination they please.

Oink !

Yep, Golden Four. That's the best solution.

Pantherjim.

Referee
I've never supported Golden Point in normal weekly club rounds.

I'm of the opinion that if two teams are playing so well that they're locked up level after 80 mins then they both deserve a competition point each.

I'm also of the opinion that if, as a League supporter and and spectator you need a "Golden Point Rule" to make the game more exciting, then you are very difficult to please and should, perhaps stop wasting your time and go and follow some weekend extreme sport like sky-diving or bunji-jumping. :roll:

F*ck off the Golden point, and go back to the draw for weekly club rounds!

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

JoeD

First Grade
I'd prefer a draw but if you had to have a golden something have a golden try.

Golden point turns the game into a lottery.

thickos

First Grade
Golden point is fine - as long as the loser gets 1 from the game, the winner getting two. This is the equivalent of the 'overtime loss' in ice hockey. I think you should be rewarded for getting to the final siren level.

Glenn

First Grade
Well as a Parramatta supporter whose team has a 0/3 record in Golden point, I don't have a problem with it, a field goal is a valid scoring option in regular time why not extra time.
The way I see the argument against a field goal counting in extra time, it is just like saying that kicking a field goal to win in regulation time is not a valid way to win

Martli

Coach
I reckon each team should get 1 point for getting into golden point, and then the winning team should get an extra point.

Pigskin

Juniors
to all you people calling for the loser of a golden point game

ever heard of contrived result ?

perhaps make 4 points in total available for each game and then the loser in golden point gets a point

but you can't give out 3 points in the occasional game and 2 in every other - its just absurd

Oink !

_Johnsy

Referee
NPK

Whats the difference if a player kicks a field goal with 10 seconds left, and in the last minute of extra time. Is the first a cop out because they were in good field position, good enough to score a try? Its great for the game, I dont understand how adding to the excitement and atmosphere can be a bad thing.

How can it turn the game into a lottery? In the cowboys knights game there were several fg attempts. They all missed, a side has the option to press for the try or set up for a fg. As yesterday saw the cowboys scored off a mistake and people are saying the golden try is the best solution. That try came from luck, whereas fg generally come fron setting up good field position to slot the fg.

Bengal

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Anyone that criticises golden point hasn't been at a game to see one. Obviously the low when you lose is crushing, but what a high when you win!

For me a golden point win is nothing more than a relief, hardly a high.
To lose golden point well...

I agree with others who say golden point is a waste of team in regular season play.

lockyno1

Post Whore
In the cowboys knights game there were several fg attempts.

Johnsey, you have said that there were heaps of field goals. It is boring, at the moment it is a field-goal-a-thon. If there has to be golden point then it has to be golden try, not golden point.

I know that offsides will be a problem, so you can negate this by the fact that if there is a penalty for offside within 20-30 metres of the line, that person spends 10 minutes in the sin bin, effectively they are off for the rest of the game, seeing that golden point only goes for 10 minutes. It's the only way.

AdamH

Juniors
The good thing about Golden Point is it can turn a crap match into a spectacle (SOO 1 for example)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Golden point is unnecessary in the reguar season, but should be retained for any match where a definite result has to be acheived, ie Origin or finals. Then either a: keep it as golden point but disallow field goals in extra time, or b: make it a set 10 minute extra time period.

carlnz

Bench
This has probaly been done many times before but do you really like it??

Teams like Canberra and the Cowboys will be saying yes but us (warriors fans) and the knights will be saying no!!!!

But putting what has happen to your sides in the past away what do you think??

What would you rather, one team going home happy...one going home gutted to fu*k...OR two teams going home with a point?!

Leave the golden point for the finals but not in the regular seasons!!

Go the Cowboys!!!

Latest posts