What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Iafeta

Referee
Golden Point is a crock. I hate it with a passion.

The Roosters-Warriors game of 2007? was the best game of that season, BEFORE it went to golden point. Both teams would have left that ground that day thrilled with their teams performances. It was a 5 star game. It needed nothing else.

But when it did go to golden point, Shayne Hayne forgot about the offside rule. On the Warriors last play of their first set, 30m out from the line, they had 3 at dummy half, and were at least 3 metres offside from the offside line. As history shows, Hayne felt indecisive (how unusual, but fair crack of the whip he's now got to basically decide the game for a team beyond 80 minutes) and let it go. In golden point, you come down to the mercy of the referee and his judgements much more than you do in 80 minutes.

If it HAD to be anything, I'd rather get done over by a try. Or, not have it as golden point, but extra time. So if you want to pot field goals, you run the risk of the other team outscoring you. But there's no need for it, it's a complete farce and a nonsense to the game of rugby league. These players are trained for 80 minutes of sheer exhaustion. It's nothing but an artificial points distributor where the NRL have decided they wanted to Americanise a game that frankly the American's would love to have a product as good as we have it. It's the NRL's inferiority complex that brought this on, always needing to change things that work for the heck of change.

Iafeta

Referee
A classic example of a draw being a highly exciting result.

Round 25, 2001. Melbourne Storm v Warriors. Warriors need 1 point from their final 2 rounds to secure their first ever finals series, and a finals series basically as a new entity given how much they changed it from the previous regime from admin, to coaching, to rosters, to marketing (also, little did we know we were to lose to North Queensland at home in the final round, so this makes this game crucial). The Warriors are up by 10 with about 10 to go. Storm score a try, convert it. With a half a minute to go, Melbourne score another, in the right hand corner. I think Matt Geyer may have been kicking that day. He had a kick from the sideline to win them the game, or it would be a draw. He NARROWLY misses. The Warriors have their first ever finals appearance booked. The country is euphoric. That was one of the most exciting games of football I've ever seen. Same season, round 4-5 or at Wellington we play the Bulldogs, Bulldogs are leading something like 24-8 with 15 minutes to go. The Warriors somehow manage the miracle comeback, and get a try under the sticks...24-24. Stacey Jones misses the conversion. That game was still exciting, we didn't need golden point.

I've been to draws before, they're as exciting as anything. They're truly awesome games. The last five minutes is tense. You're looking for opportunities to win the game. It almost feels sitting in the stands in golden point that you're nervously waiting for someone to drop a ball and have the opposition pot a field goal. It could happen in normal time for sure, but have it done after the hooter feels cheap and unnecessary.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm going to check that out. It takes awhile to do that. :lol:
But it will be interesting.

I'd be interested to see 2006. From memory, Canberra won 2, maybe 3 golden point games, the Warriors lost 2 and that was ultimately the difference, we finished 10th or 11th (of course we also had 4 points deducted).

Man that game between Roosters and Warriors in 07...captivating. But you're right. Anyway, for you Iafeta, I've quickly whipped up the 2006 statistics:

The Actual NRL 2006 Table
STORM 44, BULLDOGS 36, BRONCOS 32, KNIGHTS 32, SEA EAGLES 32, DRAGONS 32, RAIDERS 30, EELS 28, Cowboys 26, Warriors 24, Tigers 24, Panthers 24, Sharks 22, Roosters 20, Rabbitohs 10

If Draws Were In And Both Teams Got A Point Each
STORM 43, BULLDOGS 35, DRAGONS 33, BRONCOS 32, KNIGHTS 32, SEA EAGLES 32, EELS 28, COWBOYS 27, Raiders 26, Tigers 26, Warriors 25, Panthers 25, Sharks 22, Roosters 20, Rabbitohs 10
That is insane! First Dragons go from 6th to 3rd, and for another, the Raiders go from
7th to 9th meaning if draws were still around, North Queensland would've been finalists!

If We Use Two Points For A GP Win And The GP Loser Got A Point
STORM 44, BULLDOGS 36, DRAGONS 33, BRONCOS 32, KNIGHTS 32, SEA EAGLES 32, RAIDERS 30, EELS 28, Cowboys 27, Tigers 26, Panthers 26, Warriors 25, Sharks 22, Roosters 20, Rabbitohs 10

If We Use Three Points For Normal Time Win, But Two Points For GP Win And One Point For GP Lost (NOTE All Bye Points Not Included) NOTE: Warriors lose six comp points with breach.
STORM 59, BULLDOGS 47, DRAGONS 43, BRONCOS 42, KNIGHTS 42, SEA EAGLES 42, EELS 36, RAIDERS 35, Cowboys 34, Tigers 32, Warriors 31, Panthers 31, Sharks 27, Roosters 24, Rabbitohs 9.
Holy crap without adding byes Rabbitohs actually lost a point!

A couple of Golden Point games this year have ended in a draw after the extra 10 minutes.

Warriors - Storm Rd 7
Rabbitohs - Eels Rd 11
Warriors - Panthers Rd21

Now the Panthers have to back up on Friday against Dragons who played this week on Friday.
Panthers had an extra 10 minutes this week and a days less recovery time.

Now the weeks after going to golden point Souths lost, Eels lost, Warriors lost and Storm won. (Panthers, Warriors game this weekend is to be determined Rd23)
One other golden point I am aware of Warriors v Roosters Rd6, Warriors got the 1 point, the next week the Warriors Drew and Roosters Lost.

What is wrong with just taking the draw at the end of the regular time?

Yes we would need a Golden Point system in place in the finals.
Not every team gets a shot at "practicing" Golden Point during the year, so I don’t see a problem with it just being for the final series.

The NRL is already an unfair competition with some teams playing the top clubs twice and the bottom teams once (and visa versa), so one team having to playing up to 90minutes vs one playing 80minutes just seems to add to it.

What are people’s thoughts?

Is there another system that won’t involve another possible 10 minutes of what is the most physical game on the planet?

Maybe a goal kicking off? 5 players nominated like Soccer? One from in front and move the next 10m to left or right, 20m, sideline.

Possibly just as exciting, and players not burnt out for their next weeks game.

Cletus

First Grade
I'd like to see field goals banned from golden point, I just like the idea of teams frantically going for a try for ten minutes. But I still like golden point, it's exciting.

Gaba

First Grade
there is no point in having golden point in normal rounds , when the draw will still be the end result

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I'd like to see field goals banned from golden point, I just like the idea of teams frantically going for a try for ten minutes. But I still like golden point, it's exciting.

Yes but thats hardly fair that in the 79th minute, a field goal can win you the game, but in the 81st minute, a field goal cant.

Id like to see the result a best of five goal kick off would have. Would definatly increase the value of players that can kick goals.

Special K

Coach
Golden point is great!

I hate draws.. Stuff this draw after 90 minutes business while we are at it also

Cletus

First Grade
Yes but thats hardly fair that in the 79th minute, a field goal can win you the game, but in the 81st minute, a field goal cant.

Id like to see the result a best of five goal kick off would have. Would definatly increase the value of players that can kick goals.

I still like the idea of it though, but it will never happen.

Don't like the shootout idea at all, too random like it is in Football.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Get rid of it. Draws during normal rounds, 10 minutes each way extra time in finals, the golden point until someone wins after that if necessary.

RufusRex

Post Whore
given that games can still end in a draw after this so called golden point then you have a farce.

if you want it .. then commit all the way .. golden try with no time limit and no interchanges.

Eels Dude

Coach
I think it's entertaining for games I have no real interest in. Like Warriors v Penrith it's exciting seeing it go to golden point because I don't care about the result I just like the contest. Teams playing desperate frantic football in the dying stages is highly intense and entertaining as a spectacle. I will suggest changing the points structure perhaps though so it's a bit more fair. perhaps 4 points for a win, 3 points for golden point win, 2 points for a draw, 1 point for a golden point loss.

Latest posts