What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
should be scrapped entirely except for finals series matches

a draw is still a result and a team is being robbed of a point because of golden point

Whoosh

Juniors
I don't like Golden Point either. A draw is a valid result during any match that is not knockout.

But if I had to choose between GP being scrapped and Ray Chesterton being scrapped, I'd be happy to keep Golden Point every time! :)

rupertpupkin

Juniors
What was wrong with a draw anyway? Before they got rid of it, draws were exciting. No one lost, no one won, teams still got a point out of it. Imagine playing 5 golden point games, and loosing all 5. You've couldve had 5 points in the old system.

That could, arguably, be the justification for GP- in regards serving the interest of television, anyway. With draws, 2xteams get 1xpoint each. GP ditches this, giving 2xpoints to a "winner" and 0xpoints to a "loser". This goes a long way in forcing an end of season major bottleneck going into the finals.

Draws tend to diminish the bottleneck. GP tends to expand it. Ratings and advertising revenue are best served by GP, not draws. It does not matter a whit how illogical and stupid GP is. The weasels love it.

Let's try comparison value for a few tables. This should prove interesting.

The Actual NRL 2008 Table
Storm 38, Sea Eagles 38, Sharks 38, Roosters 34, Broncos 33, Raiders 30, Dragons 30, Warriors 30, Knights 28, Tigers 26, Eels 26, Panthers 25, Titans 24, Rabbitohs 20, Cowboys 14, Bulldogs 14.
If Draws Were In And Both Teams Got A Point Each
Sea Eagles 39, Storm 38, Sharks 38, Roosters 34, Broncos 32, Dragons 31, Raiders 30, Warriors 30, Knights 28, Tigers 26, Eels 25, Titans 25, Panthers 23, Rabbitohs 19, Cowboys 15, Bulldogs 15.
The main difference is Manly would've been Minor Premiers.
If We Use Two Points For A GP Win And The GP Loser Got A Point
Sea Eagles 39, Sharks 39, Storm 38, Roosters 34, Broncos 33, Dragons 31, Raiders 30, Warriors 30, Knights 29, Tigers 26, Eels 26, Panthers 25, Titans 25, Rabbitohs 20, Cowboys 15, Bulldogs 15.
Big problem with 9th and 10th three points apart there.
If We Use Three Points For Normal Time Win, But Two Points For GP Win And One Point For GP Lost (NOTE All Bye Points Not Included)
Sea Eagles 52, Storm 51, Sharks 51, Roosters 45, Broncos 43, Dragons 41, Raiders 39, Warriors 39, Knights 36, Tigers 33, Eels 32, Titans 31, Panthers 29, Rabbitohs 23, Cowboys 17, Bulldogs 17.

bluey

Bench
Regular season = draw
All other games , play to time not points say 5 minutes each way and then go to golden point if you have to.It gives more incentive for a try.

ledzep

Bench
Golden point was a terrible idea for regular club matches, but golden try is an even worse idea

KHunt

Juniors
ive always been against the rule being in place during home and away matches

those games should stay a draw, but let it decide finals, origins etc

LeagueNut

First Grade
I'd keep Golden Point, but I'd stop the forced restarts in the 80th and 85th minutes. Just let the game flow.

I like RL1908`s call.
win in 80 minutes: 3 points
Win in golden point: 2 points
Loss in golden point: 1 point

Draw after golden point extra time: 1 point each.

Perfect.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Let's try comparison value for a few tables. This should prove interesting.

The Actual NRL 2008 Table
Storm 38, Sea Eagles 38, Sharks 38, Roosters 34, Broncos 33, Raiders 30, Dragons 30, Warriors 30, Knights 28, Tigers 26, Eels 26, Panthers 25, Titans 24, Rabbitohs 20, Cowboys 14, Bulldogs 14.
If Draws Were In And Both Teams Got A Point Each
Sea Eagles 39, Storm 38, Sharks 38, Roosters 34, Broncos 32, Dragons 31, Raiders 30, Warriors 30, Knights 28, Tigers 26, Eels 25, Titans 25, Panthers 23, Rabbitohs 19, Cowboys 15, Bulldogs 15.
The main difference is Manly would've been Minor Premiers.
If We Use Two Points For A GP Win And The GP Loser Got A Point
Sea Eagles 39, Sharks 39, Storm 38, Roosters 34, Broncos 33, Dragons 31, Raiders 30, Warriors 30, Knights 29, Tigers 26, Eels 26, Panthers 25, Titans 25, Rabbitohs 20, Cowboys 15, Bulldogs 15.
Big problem with 9th and 10th three points apart there.
If We Use Three Points For Normal Time Win, But Two Points For GP Win And One Point For GP Lost (NOTE All Bye Points Not Included)
Sea Eagles 52, Storm 51, Sharks 51, Roosters 45, Broncos 43, Dragons 41, Raiders 39, Warriors 39, Knights 36, Tigers 33, Eels 32, Titans 31, Panthers 29, Rabbitohs 23, Cowboys 17, Bulldogs 17.

now thats interesting !
good work there termy
what about previous years is there much of a diff ?

charlie

Juniors
By that rule, a team could still kick 5 field goals or 3 penalty goals and win on points, but because the other team scores a try, they win... :?
the team that scored the try would also have to kick 3 goals and a field goal. I watch RL to see tries being scored not goals kicked, and the team that scores most tries should be rewarded in this case.

Rogue.9

Juniors
Regular season = draw
All other games , play to time not points say 5 minutes each way and then go to golden point if you have to.It gives more incentive for a try.
For finals I'd go 10 minutes each way then golden point if needed. Regular season & rep games I am happy to leave at 80 minutes.

Knightmare

Coach
I hate golden point. What was a tough, grinding, edge of your seat contest for 80 minutes becomes an ugly, scrappy field-goal shootout. Add to that that more often than not it's predictable who is going to win, because as soon as a team gets close to their line you know they are almost certainly going to get the field goal.

I'd rather see golden try, or make it like soccer where there is a definite period of extra time, and whoever has the most points (be it from field goals, tries or penalty goals) wins at the end of the added 10 minutes. Because then it would require tactics, instead of just playing it down-field for 5 sets then isolating the halfback for the drop-goal attempt.

babyg

Juniors
give the losers 1 point for the draw and everyone's happy.

A simple extra time would work well and protect games from being decided from 1. field goals and 2. bad penalty decisions. At least the other team gets a chance to redeem

Dazraider

Juniors
get rid of it leave it just for semis and origin
better having a draw and making the table more interesting but in saying that it has its benefits for for and against

Loudstrat

Coach
get rid of it leave it just for semis and origin
better having a draw and making the table more interesting but in saying that it has its benefits for for and against

How?

The draw broke the table up more, because the one point would make an odd number of competition points. With no draw, you can reduce the points for a win to 1, and the table wouldn't change.

Latest posts