What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
No I didn't. You misunderstood mine Timmah. Bloody hell thanks for that assumption.

I said if a team loses at 80:00 not after 80:00, you know, a second after 79:59 would not be entitled to a point. It adds up extra margin for error.

By that I mean, if a team needed a point to make the finals and they were at 22-all with one second left and the other team unfairly (thanks to a referee or something) was disallowed a try, it changes the whole season and adds more margin for people to whinge at referees.

I know in generality it would add something, but it could also show that Golden Point just becomes an attempt to score an extra competition point to a team, and I think that is just turning league into a wrong direction. Just my opinion.

JB

Juniors
By that I mean, if a team needed a point to make the finals and they were at 22-all with one second left and the other team unfairly (thanks to a referee or something) was disallowed a try, it changes the whole season and adds more margin for people to whinge at referees.

I think i understand what you mean. But let me ask you this. Do you think atm, with GP how it is, regardless of if your for it or not. It's fair that the losing team in GP comes away with nothing?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
But the whole point of the awarding to a losing golden point team is that they have worked hard enough to earn that result at the end of regulation play. The golden point for the winning amount of points then decides who goes one better. As it stands there's currently no reward for finishing equal after 80 minutes if a team is to lose during GP... that is perceived as unfair by many.

Good question.
Unfortunately I will still have to say no.
I typed it out and it got confusing, so I'll put out an example. This is if they got the point:
If Brisbane had say 10 wins, and 20 competition points.
And Melbourne had 9 wins, but three times they lost a game after blowing it in extra time after refereeing errors got them there, but scored 21 competition points.
It'd be unfair to Brisbane, who, if referee intervened or not, worked hard to score more wins.

If you get what I mean? Couldn't find a way to describe it well.

But the whole point of the awarding to a losing golden point team is that they have worked hard enough to earn that result at the end of regulation play. The golden point for the winning amount of points then decides who goes one better. As it stands there's currently no reward for finishing equal after 80 minutes if a team is to lose during GP... that is perceived as unfair by many.

Yep mate I know what you mean, that's why draws should be there. God I still don't get what brain explosion invented Golden Point, and I know it's here to stay.

As explained in the post above, I just would find it harsh to see a team win more than another yet still get pipped by the other team to qualify for finals.

One point is a damn lot in this day and age.

Timmah

Staff member
Good question.
Unfortunately I will still have to say no.
I typed it out and it got confusing, so I'll put out an example. This is if they got the point:
If Brisbane had say 10 wins, and 20 competition points.
And Melbourne had 9 wins, but three times they lost a game after blowing it in extra time after refereeing errors got them there, but scored 21 competition points.
It'd be unfair to Brisbane, who, if referee intervened or not, worked hard to score more wins.

If you get what I mean? Couldn't find a way to describe it well.

On the flipside, Melbourne have worked hard to earn regulation time draws... and they should walk away with nothing after losing in GP?

Timmah

Staff member
Yep mate I know what you mean, that's why draws should be there. God I still don't get what brain explosion invented Golden Point, and I know it's here to stay.

As explained in the post above, I just would find it harsh to see a team win more than another yet still get pipped by the other team to qualify for finals.

One point is a damn lot in this day and age.

If Golden Point is a necessity:

All wins - 3 points
Golden point draw or loss - 1 point
Regulation loss - 0 points

That's my opinion.

You could argue that it's hard work to scrape into GP.
There are also those games that go into GP because either team is too weak to take the game in normal time, say by seven field goal misses. It'd be silly to reward them (I know one of them is eventually awarded...but that's because they ended up taking the upper hand).

JB

Juniors
I see what you mean, and it's a fair enough point. But exactly the same would happen if Golden Point didn't exist, and a draw was worth 1 point (which i'm guessing is what your in favour of).

By the way JB and Timmah, I definately understand the point you two are coming from, and I respect your points. I'm just huge against GP, and I don't like the idea of possibly awarding points to teams undeserved and lucky as the game could roll their way.

And as much as I doubt this could happen, with some teams you could be sure some teams would try and force it into extra time to earn the point. Crowd pleasing eh? Nothing like seeing teams not going for the win. It could happen.

I see what you mean, and it's a fair enough point. But exactly the same would happen if Golden Point didn't exist, and a draw was worth 1 point (which i'm guessing is what your in favour of).

1 point to each team? Ok yes, obviously that works in the same way (teams could go seven field goals etc.)
It'd be better than one earning more than the other for actually landing the 8th one in time after the game should be finished.

JB

Juniors
1 point to each team? Ok yes, obviously that works in the same way (teams could go seven field goals etc.)
It'd be better than one earning more than the other for actually landing the 8th one in time after the game should be finished.

No. I mean if GP didn't exist, using your example if Melbourne had 9 wins and 3 draws (and a draw was worth 1 point - unless your in favour of drawing teams getting 0 points?), they'd still qualify ahead of Brisbane. Exactly the same scenario as the 1 point to the losing GP team.

God my head hurts.

HevyDevy

Coach
For once ray you make sense I detest the rule even though my club souths have a good win loss record under it. A team can bust their guts for 89 minutes and loose because of a controversial decision. All it is is, set for feel goal, try to milk a penalty. It just aint footy. GET RID OF IT

What's a feel goal?

No. I mean if GP didn't exist, using your example if Melbourne had 9 wins and 3 draws (and a draw was worth 1 point - unless your in favour of drawing teams getting 0 points?), they'd still qualify ahead of Brisbane. Exactly the same scenario as the 1 point to the losing GP team.

God my head hurts.

My head hurts too. :(
The main difference is:

IF GP EXISTED AND LOSER GOT A POINT (20 rounds)
Brisbane: 10 wins, 10 losses (20 points)
Melbourne: 9 wins, 11 losses - 3GP (21 points)

IF DRAWS EXISTED
Brisbane: 10 wins, 10 losses (20 points)
Melbourne: 9 wins, 3 draws, 8 losses (21 points)

Two losses for matches within 80 minutes. I know I look like I'm reversing my opinion, but my head hurts so I can't show what my opinion is meaning. :lol:

mozza91

Coach
If it's even after 80 minutes it should be a draw both sides deserve a point and it's a fair result

RL1908

Bench
I like GP, and would favour it whilever teams don't play home & away. The comp is unbalanced already, so I tend to side with keepin GP to get a result between the two opponents.

I don't favour having different rules (such as "golden try") in GP. When it comes to matches descending into field-goal-athons, that is because teams/players have let that skill (drop kicking) slip from the game. I'd rather take the positive line and encourage players to upskill, rather than eliminate yet another part of the RL players skill set (some players anyway).

A team could also kick a field goal or penalty goal in the 80th minute to draw the scores level and thus force GP, but their opponents would be denied this a minute later in GP.

I think the concern is that teams that lose in GP get no recognition for their 80 minute draw.

Some people have suggested that in Golden Point games the loser should get 1 point (to reflect the draw), and the winner get 2 points (or even 3 points) - the problem with this is that it sees some games have 3 points on offer, and a 60-0 win in normal time still get just 2.

If some games have more premiership points on offer than others, you can imagine the mayhem in Rd 26 if a match unexpectedly goes to GP and a team in another match misses out on the Top8 or the Minor Premiership because of the extra points the 2 teams in GP got. Inferences of contrived results would abound.

The Possible Compromise? Still have GP, while giving the 80 minutes draw some reward....

WIN IN REGULAR TIME (80 minutes)

Give 3 points for a win, 0 for a loss.

GOLDEN POINT

If a match is a draw after 80 minutes, each team automatically gets 1 point (i.e. 1 point each for the draw). Then the teams battle in Golden Point for the remaining 1 point (i.e. the 3rd point).

So, in Golden Point the winner gets 2 premiership points, the loser gets 1 (i.e. a total of 3 points on offer for the game).

Or in other words...

1. If you win in the normal 80 minutes you get the full 3 points, the loser gets nothing.

2. If a match is drawn at fulltime (80 minutes) both teams get 1 point for the draw, and then fight out Golden Point for the remaining 1 point (all of which totals up to 3 points).

Last edited:

Latest posts