What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

clarency

Juniors
I was very surprised and quite happy that the commentators were showing support for the draw.

I can remember just last year Matty Johns spewing on the radio how great the concept was.

fourplay

Juniors
Anyone else notice how much the excitement levels increased in golden point of the tigers/dogs?

They even noted how loud the crowd had suddenly gotten during golden point.

RL_Patriot

Juniors
I was very surprised and quite happy that the commentators were showing support for the draw.
Yep, I applauded the concern shown by Gus, Ray and Sterlo. Even though Gus was getting to me, he played his part well in voicing his opinion on the matter.

The golden point in regards to this game made a very good game of footy, for 80 minutes, look quite average and sort of makes you feel ripped of, due to the intensity and standard turning to scrap.

clarency

Juniors
That's probably because their team won.

What would the crowd have sounded like if Farah got his kick over?

docbrown

Coach
If it were Golden Try at least the refs would be more inclined to penalise teams.

As for all this "but if a team had 5 field goals in extra time they'd be ahead on points but lose to a golden try nonsense" make the rule clear - the team ahead on points when the extra time ceases wins.

So - in the highly unlikely scenario that you're down by 5, you're obviously not going to go for a Golden Try then...

Golden Try just stops the clock immediately - it doesn't give you the win. The team ahead on points when the extra time ceases wins.

They can have all the field goal shot attempts they want - and if successful, the opposition gets a right to reply.

Last edited:

flamin

Juniors
Ultimately, there is nothing wrong with a draw - however from the fans point of view/TV ratings/advertising $$$$ etc, the longer the time the result is in the balance the better. That's why golden point/extra time exists. Leigh's suggestion on the first page is the best I've seen.

I don't mind the idea of the side getting to four points first winning, except it will look ridiculous if one side finishes in front but still doesn't "win" because they only got one or two points in front. That rules that idea out for me.

No if no team has scored 4 points in the extra time, which ever team is in front at the end is the winner.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
If it were Golden Try at least the refs would be more inclined to penalise teams.

As for all this "but if a team had 5 field goals in extra time they'd be ahead on points but lose to a golden try nonsense" make the rule clear - the team ahead on points when the extra time ceases wins.

So - in the highly unlikely scenario that you're down by 5, you're obviously not going to go for a Golden Try then...

Golden Try just stops the clock immediately - it doesn't give you the win. The team ahead on points when the extra time ceases wins.

They can have all the field goal shot attempts they want - and if successful, the opposition gets a right to reply.

I like this and it's in keeping with how the game is played in regular time which makes sense.

Dumping golden point isn't going to fix anything. It will still be there in the finals series which is the most important part of the season. We need to fix the concept up. If we are dumping it from the regular season because it doesn't work then how can we be happy with it in the GF?

Fingerbang

Bench
I hope they get rid of it in normal rounds....that 1 point that Tigers should have got last night could end up costing them a spot in the top 8....f*cking ridiculous. 22-22 is a result, fmd.

Springs

First Grade
Don't have golden anything! If a draw is somehow not enough then have 10 or 20 minutes extra time like they used to in the finals. Clears up any of the bullshit rule changes and referee decisions that will only happen in a 'golden' concept.

VictoryFC

Bench
Either way is fine. If they drop it and give both teams 1 point, thats ok. If they keep going with GP, that's ok too. Its not as if the Dogs had an advantage over Wests going into GP. And just because they both played well enough to win, it doesn't mean that Tigs were robbed off a point they deserved.

Big Sam

First Grade
The only gripe I have with GP is that the refs become too afraid to make big calls. The only way to alleviate this is to just have 10 standard minutes of extra time.

And I'm sick of all this 'how heartbreaking for the loser' sentiment that Gus was spewing last night. Losing in the dying seconds of normal time is even worse (ask any Souths or Roosters supporter).

M2D2

Bench
And I'm sick of all this 'how heartbreaking for the loser' sentiment that Gus was spewing last night. Losing in the dying seconds of normal time is even worse (ask any Souths or Roosters supporter).
As a sharks fans, i dont support this in the slightest, ive had both happen many times, losing in GP is worse.

adamkungl

Immortal
I like this and it's in keeping with how the game is played in regular time which makes sense.

Dumping golden point isn't going to fix anything. It will still be there in the finals series which is the most important part of the season. We need to fix the concept up. If we are dumping it from the regular season because it doesn't work then how can we be happy with it in the GF?

Why?

Regular season, draw after 80 mins.

Finals/origin, 10 mins standard extra time, then golden point. If you play suddent death golden point after 10 mins of extra time I dont think anyone can complain about a scrappy field goal mess.

Latest posts