What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Springs

First Grade
I agree with the article but I personally would still like to see extra time of 5 minutes each way. However it should not be golden point extra time, just extra time and who ever ends up in front at the end of 10 minutes wins.

I have always thought that this is the logical answer. I see nothing wrong with normal extra time, if not for regular season games than for finals at least.

Would the Dogs-Eels 98 semi or the 89 grand final be as fondly remembered now if they were played under golden point rules?

If after ten minutes the result is still tied then go to unlimited golden point.

siv

First Grade
I would rather see a replay brought back if drawn at the end of 10 mi neach way extra time in the semi finals

Was a marketing dream for the AFL and always used to be for RL as well

I also really miss the Tue playoff for 5th place

Pig Mouth

Juniors
The funny thing about all this "oh we can't have a field goal win the game we need an accumulation of 4 points or some shit" shit is that when it's all said and done at the end of 2012 Cooper Cronk's origin field goal will be the standout play just like Anasta's field goal in 2010.

It's good enough for the first 80 minutes but people hate it during golden POINT lol makes no sense. Removing the field goal as a scoring option from the game completely would be a better idea.

From the NSW loss, still sore someone is.

yoda.gif

Pig Mouth

Juniors
Flog it out for 80 mins. If it's a draw, then set up a cage in the middle of the field and bring forward the chosen fighters. No grappling or wrestling. Just some good old brutal kickboxing. Wola. How's that for marketing. Get a footy game and a fight at the same time. Also have individual bets on the fights. That ought to knock up the revenue for the game.

Fire

First Grade
What about a penalty count back rule. It would lift the discipline of teams and make for better footy.

Fire

First Grade
It was terrible in the Panasonic cup. So a big no to that.

Yeah now you mention it was come to think of it. Just trying to think outside the box. Anyways, it'll be interesting what the ARLC comes up with in the off-season.

No BS!!

In season
Tie. Split the points. End of discussion.

Finals
- Complete 10 min each way.
- If still tied after 100 mins, period of golden point until there is a result.

The game doesn't need some BS rule changing just because two teams are tied. Rugby League is a 13-man a side game. Last thing I'd want is some sort of gimmick deciding the premiership.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Time to introduce the golden wazn,team that has the most amount of missed field goals in extra time walks away with the 2 points

Jono1987

Juniors
It's not f**ken hard.

Regular season: Draw after eighty minutes

Finals: Ten minutes of extra time after full time. If there is still no result teams will result to a golden point period.

Easy. You're welcome Shane M.

Pig Mouth

Juniors
Just keep playing till someone scores a try. That's bound to happen eventually. Will make the final minutes that much more exciting.

bottle

Coach
What the f**k is this about? I'm saying Cronk's field goal was a good play you f**king moron but if it happened in golden point people would whinge that a field goal decided a big game, f**king dumb merkin

Best to ignore him. Low level comprehension skills coupled with high level 'chip on shoulder' count, throw in some 'little dick syndrome' as well. Outcome - extreme case of 'Fourskinitis'. Ie, everything can only be expressed in terms of interstate rivalry. Show some empathy, even if it's feigned.

fred95

Juniors
Cleary and Smith have nailed it. The problem with golden point is not the field goal. The field goal can often be a spectacular play and takes great skill to execute. The problem is purely the way the period is refereeed, and I don't even blame the referees for it. They're only human. Extra time needs to go.

I'm pleased that at least one person agrees with me. the golden point was never anything more than greedy book-making agencies making even more money out of even more bets. the game should finish at eighty minutes. Even soccer's ridiculous penalty goals shoot out has been given a sleight air of credibility to the farcical demented monkey circus of N.R.L golden point finishes.

LineBall

Juniors
Monday night's game was a great example of why golden point should be scrapped.

Imagine if the bunnies had scored their last try out near the side-line rather then near the posts, and he had missed the conversion.

Both teams would be rewarded with a point, and both sets of fans would be fairly happy ( bunnies fans happier than roosters albeit)

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/tv...nt-of-contention/story-fndujljl-1226451271585

TV chiefs to get say in the golden point of contention

Steve Ricketts
The Courier-Mail
August 16, 2012 12:00AM

TELEVISION executives will be consulted before any decision is made by the Australian Rugby League Commission about the survival of golden-point extra time, given the concept's popularity with viewers.

Current rights holders Channel 9 have told the ARLC that viewer numbers increase dramatically towards the end of tight games as the prospect of golden point becomes more likely.

Extra time has been slated by many coaches and players as it is little more than a field goal shootout, with panic football the order of the day and referees reluctant to award penalties. Despite this, it remains a winner with fans.

"Golden point will be part of our season review and I wouldn't say we intend to get rid of it," ARLC general manager of football Nathan McGuirk said yesterday.

"If necessary we will seek the views of the broadcasters, the fans and the viewing audience.

"Steve Crawley (Nine's director of sport) says there is a definite spike in the viewing audience when there is golden point. I can't give the figures, but they're significant."

The ARLC bosses will soon resume their negotiations with rival television networks about the broadcast deals to take effect from 2013.

Latest posts