What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Galeforce

Bench
2 x 5 minute periods added which must be played out unless there is a GOLDEN Try.
So if a field goal or penalty kick taken during the Golden Period , they do count however they are NOT Golden, so play continues. Thus other team still has a chance to draw with a field goal or penalty kick and both teams can still close the game with a Golden Try.
This should reward the team with momentum at the end of 80 minutes and takes away the lottery of first team to get into position to kick a field goal. Also allows refs to award penalties without the fear of deciding the game on a technicality.

If still drawn after 10 minutes , points shared bau.

SharkShocked

Bench
^ Thank christ someone brought this up.

How the f**k do I know about a game going to golden point if I'm not already watching a close game anyway?

If a game isn't close yeah I might turn off and watch a movie.... If the game is close then I'm more willing to stay on the channel.

It's obviously an increase due to the game being close.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Definitely keep golden point, but change the points awarded.

2 for a win, 1 for a draw.

That way a team won't miss the 8 in the final round if they're needing a win and go into golden point, also, a team who has 2-3 regular time draws but loses them all in golden point gets some 'ladder recognition' for their efforts.

And just tell the referees to blow normal penalties....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more I think about it, the more I think Golden try isn't a solution.

What if a team kicks three penalty goals and a field goal in extra time and the opposition scores a converted a try.

Who the f**k wins?

*****OR*****

What if a team kicks a field goal in extra time and no other points are scored.

Is it a draw because no golden try was scored, or does the team ahead on the scoreboard win?

It's time we just had extra time played out in full, whoever has the most points after fulltime wins the game and leave it at that.

Why complicate this shit?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

That way a team won't miss the 8 in the final round if they're needing a win and go into golden point, also, a team who has 2-3 regular time draws but loses them all in golden point gets some 'ladder recognition' for their efforts.

I already suggested that and Timmah had a meltdown over it.

undertaker

Coach

I agree with your concept, but my alteration would be:

4 pts for a win in regular time
3 pts for a win in golden point
2 pts for a draw after golden point
1 pt for a loss in golden point
0 pts for a loss in regular time

That way, a team that has busted its guts out to force the game into golden point after 80 mins at least gets some reward, even if they copped a dodgy decision in the 90th min that costs them the game, compared to the current situation where they would get 0 pts, just like a team that got smashed 50-0.

El Diablo

Post Whore

What if a team kicks three penalty goals and a field goal in extra time and the opposition scores a converted a try.

Who the f**k wins?

*****OR*****

Is it a draw because no golden try was scored, or does the team ahead on the scoreboard win?

It's time we just had extra time played out in full, whoever has the most points after fulltime wins the game and leave it at that.

why would you bother even attempting to kick a penalty or field goal if it was changed to golden try?

undertaker

Coach
why would you bother even attempting to kick a penalty or field goal if it was changed to golden try?

For and Against. It may not be seen as an issue in Rd 1. However, say in Rd 26 if 8th and 9th are either on the same points or 8th is 1 pt ahead of 9th, and 8th has FA of +50. Team 9 is playing a match in golden try, no team has scored in golden try and in the 89th minute they get a penalty from 10m out in front of the posts and their FA is +49...a penalty goal would take their FA to +51. If the game is deemed a draw because neither team scored a try in golden try (i.e. if scoring a golden try is the criteria for winning the game in extra time), then 9th would superscede 8th on FA.

I know its a very extreme example, but it can happen

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench

Who the f**k wins?

*****OR*****

First to four points doesn't have these problems. Kick two penalty goals or one penalty and two field goals before anyone can score a try, you win. Ahead on the scoreboard but no one has yet scored a try (or any other combination of four points) when time runs out, you win.

Leigh.

undertaker

Coach
or another alternative which has already been suggested is just to play 10 minutes of extra time (either 10 mins straight or 2 x 5min periods). What do you guys think of that idea?

Quidgybo

Bench
or another alternative which has already been suggested is just to play 10 minutes of extra time (either 10 mins straight or 2 x 5min periods). What do you guys think of that idea?
Television networks will hate it which in turn will affect our rights value. They don't want a 20 minute just-in-case buffer at the end of every broadcast where they leak viewers who are finished watching the game but nothing else has started. Equally they don't want to randomly have their programming delayed 20 minutes when the game runs over because they haven't got that buffer. Golden point they can handle because it rarely adds more than five minutes.

Leigh.

WayneBennett

Juniors
Golden try, no kicks for Goal allowed, penalties incur a 30m advantage for either side, no scrums, Tap and run.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Golden try. 2 players from each team drop off every 2 minutes until its a game of 7s. Case closed.

Last edited:

Latest posts