What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gone missing: 75 tries

bottle

Coach
I loved it personally. Each to their own I guess.
You're right about Smith though (feel dirty, wash immediately).

Loudstrat

Coach
Let me ask you would you take today's halves over the halves of 1992 even with Sterlo,Kenny and Lewis past there best ?
Id' certainly have Thurston and Marshall with Langer and Stuart. And Lockyer would be 5/8.

I think in this debate three things are being missed:

1. We are judging both groups differently. Example - Prince is playing like a busted at the moment. He will be looked through rose coloured glasses in the future - as he should. As will Kimmorley.
  2. The 1991 list contained players who hadn't played rep football yet. Who knows what the current crop will have achieved by 2021?
  3. I haven't said the current crop is better!
What about 2001 - Langer, Stuart, Daley, Lyons, Toovey, Fittler, Kimmorley, Barrett, Hill, Lam, Gower, Ikin, Florimo, and a young rising superstar called Brett Finch.......um I mean Andrew Johns...............

All the NSW halves of 20 years ago would walk into the current NSW side. Over the current incumbents.
On 1991 form Stuart, Daley and Alexander would. Arguably, the entire QLD spine of 1991 would be replaced by Slater, Heather, Thurston and Smith.

The game has changed so much. Now all halves can throw a spiral 2 man cutout pass left or right - something only Stuart could do in 91.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Interesting stat: 2011 (to the end of last round) 88 games, 583 tries - average 6.62 tries per game. 1991 - 176 games, 1020 tries, average 5.79 tries per game.

anjado

Juniors
Id' certainly have Thurston and Marshall with Langer and Stuart. And Lockyer would be 5/8.

I think in this debate three things are being missed:

1. We are judging both groups differently. Example - Prince is playing like a busted at the moment. He will be looked through rose coloured glasses in the future - as he should. As will Kimmorley.
  2. The 1991 list contained players who hadn't played rep football yet. Who knows what the current crop will have achieved by 2021?
  3. I haven't said the current crop is better!
What about 2001 - Langer, Stuart, Daley, Lyons, Toovey, Fittler, Kimmorley, Barrett, Hill, Lam, Gower, Ikin, Florimo, and a young rising superstar called Brett Finch.......um I mean Andrew Johns...............

On 1991 form Stuart, Daley and Alexander would. Arguably, the entire QLD spine of 1991 would be replaced by Slater, Heather, Thurston and Smith.

The game has changed so much. Now all halves can throw a spiral 2 man cutout pass left or right - something only Stuart could do in 91.

Toovey,Lyons,Florimo,Simon are all better then the NSW halves and nearly every half at the start of the 1992 was better then Wallace.

Lewis would of played for sure past it or not since 91 was his last series. But i am not arguing about spine's, the hooker position is very different now then it was then.

Fullbacks these days are far superior to those of 20 years ago you will get no argument from me.

It isn't really rose tinted glasses i remember these players being superior to all but the Queensland halves and Marshall.

from about 1983-2005 We had a huge number of brilliant and wonderful halves in the game.

At the moment there are 4 great halves in the NRL

Marshall
Cronk
Lockyer
Thurston

This is basically it. None of the NSW halves are great the likes of Campese and Carney have potential but they haven't proven themselves to be great for any substantial period.

It is a huge problem for the game whilst Fullbacks are better. With the exception of Smith who is unbelievable, are hookers all that much better now ? You still had Elias and the Walters brothers and a few other decent ones.

Fullbacks are far better these days there is no argument.

Halves are far far worse they are less creative in my opinion. Halfback stocks are really low at the moment that is why the likes of Prince and Orford are still able to play first grade.

This is the major difference you could argue the same about Sterling and Kenny but Parramatta were on the slide since 1986. Lewis joined the Gold Coast who were even worse then what Cronulla are.

Prince is the key man for the team which finished 3rd last season. Orford was able to become starting halfback for one of the premiership favourites this year.

It would be very different if Orford was say Souths Halfback and Prince Cronulla half back.

I think the standard of Rugby League has dropped you go back to 2001-2005 period and think of all the classic club matches there were. How many great games have we seen this year ? maybe Parramatta vs St George has been the best all season.

The standard of play and creativity is at a huge low point in my opinion. It might of been worse before i was watching but the standards are lower in terms of creativity and general excitement then at any point of the past 25 years.

This is due to the lack of quality halves. If we could somehow transport the standard of halves 10-20 years ago to the current game the product would be far more exciting.

The game has changed but not for the better in my opinion. For the game to thrive at least 90% of teams should have a quality half.

RWB

Bench
Loudstrat made a good point, the role of the dummy half & fullback has changed immensely. Players like Cameron Smith, Robbie Farah, Hayne etc. are so much more creative and basically play like halves at times. It's probably what has lead to such a shortage of quality in the halves (which I do believe is existent).

anjado

Juniors
Loudstrat made a good point, the role of the dummy half & fullback has changed immensely. Players like Cameron Smith, Robbie Farah, Hayne etc. are so much more creative and basically play like halves at times. It's probably what has lead to such a shortage of quality in the halves (which I do believe is existent).

Is Farah really any different from Elias ? In terms of creativity at least. People tend to forget that the likes of Benny Elias,Nathan Brown,Mark Soden,Ben Alexander,Kerrod Walters were all quite creative themselves.

It has changed a lot from say the mid 80's but i think by the early 90's the modern dummy half was already in place at many clubs.

What you say is true maybe they take the halfbacks and turn them into hookers. But they were doing that in the early 90's too with Ben Alexander and Mark Soden.

Fullback has certainly changed from the early 90's that came about with Lockyer and Mullins etc. Fullbacks these days are so far superior to what they were in 1992. If you want a good example English Super League gave a good example when Paul Wellens,Kris Radlinski etc were the best fullbacks they were very 80's style fullbacks.

Jono1987

Juniors
You mustn't have been watching many Dragons games this season; they put me to sleep nearly every time I watch them play. Yeah their tactics have kept them at the top of the ladder, but they win at the expense of the game. It seems to me like they win at the expense of everything other than winning.

:lol:. Coming from an Eels supporter. Thanks.

Here's a thought. No contest = predictable and boring.

Perhaps what needs to happen is that the teams you follow, must stop playing like shit. Unfortunately I can not see this happening in the immediate future.

Sea Eagles/Storm/Cowboys exempt.

Hallatia

Referee
:lol:. Coming from an Eels supporter. Thanks.

Here's a thought. No contest = predictable and boring.

Perhaps what needs to happen is that the teams you follow, must stop playing like shit. Unfortunately I can not see this happening in the immediate future.

Sea Eagles/Storm/Cowboys exempt.
interesting that the teams you exempt don't resort to the same coma inducing tactics the Dragons do to win/maintain their leads regardless of how little contest they are getting from their opposition.

Interesting that our "shit" was good enough to stop your lot who are sooooooo much better from beating us Friday night.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
interesting that the teams you exempt don't resort to the same coma inducing tactics the Dragons do to win/maintain their leads regardless of how little contest they are getting from their opposition.

Interesting that our "shit" was good enough to stop your lot who are sooooooo much better from beating us Friday night.

:lol: We flogged you 30-nil the last 2 games before Friday night and it's smack bang in the middle of rep season. Just a shame you guys won't make the 8 so there's no rematch

Jono1987

Juniors

First half against your mob at Kogarah wasn't boring. First half against the Tigers wasn't boring. Hell despite it taking 68 minutes to score against the Rabbitohs it wasn't boring. Another supporter who has barely watched us all year and goes off previous years. Don't worry you've got plenty of company in that regard.

You watched the Storm play before? Sea Eagles were grinding out wins earlier in the season. Granted Cowboys usually play with attacking flair.

Yes your team played well on Friday night but I'd bet they will be back to their tragic worst this week. No consistency, no heart. Where as my club will try it's guts out despite missing several players through SoO.

Latest posts