What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Mt Smart, hello North Shore

JJ

Immortal
I do not think Albany is the best option either, actually i think its the worst. It clearly alienates the mainstay of the warriors fan base and the north shore is well known as being rugby union centric so any localized support will be limited to say the least.

Whole of NZ is "union centric" so not sure that's an issue at all

Blair

Coach
Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
The Herald on Sunday last weekend asked our readers for their views on Auckland Council's planned stadium shuffle.

The plan - which council is set to will vote on next week - would see the Warriors leave Mt Smart Stadium and play its their home games at QBE Stadium and Eden Park, a proposal the league club is are refusing to accept.

Readers crammed our inbox with their views this week, with the vast majority saying the council was out of touch and should abandon the divisive plan. Here is a selection of the edited responses:

How come Len Brown says he is all for the people of South Auckland when he supports the shift of the Warriors? If it wasn't for the people of South Auckland at the last election, he would not be where he is today. Take a look at who turns up now, rain and shine? I bet not a lot of those faces come from north of the Bridge.
-Glen Ericksen

I cannot understand why councillors elected to do their best for the people of Auckland continue to fail. The arrogance of this council is unbelievable. Len Brown used to listen to the people when he was Manukau mayor but the motives of the councillors have many wondering. I grew up going to games at Carlaw Park and it was a sad day when it closed in 2002. Are we going to let another valuable league asset go? Perhaps it is time for an occupation.
-Cindy Walters

Good on the council for doing something to fix our stadium mess. Eden Park was redone at a huge cost - now is the time to make that investment worthwhile. Real fans will travel to watch their team at whatever ground in Auckland they are playing.
-Tom Conroy

Why on Earth would council consider moving a 20-year client as far away as possible from their fanbase as well as from the areas that benefit from their extensive community programmes. Moving their home games to the North Shore will be a financial loss for the club and sends the wrong signal to the NRL who, likewise, are now a large customer of Auckland City. The Warriors are paying the price for poor investment decisions made for Eden Park to meet Rugby World Cup needs, especially when there hasn't been a dollar spent on Mt Smart in the last 10 years.
-John Smith

North Harbour Stadium is a nightmare and to be avoided at all costs. I have been there for two games and both times vowed I wouldn't go again. Listen to what the people want for a change.
-Linda Gilmour

Auckland Council should postpone the vote on the stadium reshuffle until after next year's local body elections, as I doubt many of the councilors will be voted back in, especially the mayor. I strongly oppose the Warriors shifting from Mt Smart. It's our home.
-Tony Johnston

I have supported the Warriors since they began and, through the highs and lows, am still a fan. If the council boffins move them, I will still be a fan but will not be going to Albany or The Great White Elephant (Eden Park) so Sky will be the winner. If they move to Hamilton for home games then, yes, I will still go.
-Kevin

League needs to stay at Mt Smart - that is where its heart is. Like many from Christchurch, I travel to games every year but don't go anywhere other than Mt Smart. You can count my family and I out if they are forced out of Mt Smart.
-Phil Prescott

So the Warriors are going to get the boot from Mt Smart. What's the big deal? If the club had any vision, they would have insisted Carlaw Park was kept and upgraded 20 years ago. But they turned their back on New Zealand league's traditional home and now they are performing like trained seals because they are about to become homeless.
-John Ropati

If the council are desperate to move Western Springs speedway to Mt Smart, why can't speedway and the Warriors share the facility? I know the inclusion of a speedway track would mean current seating would need to be removed but if the money planned for upgrading QBE is allocated to new seating at Mt Smart, this could be a viable option. Already there are two stadiums shared by speedway and an oval ball sport: Baypark Stadium and Arena Manawatu.
-Tracy Lee

To Len Brown and his cronies, if you move the Warriors from Mt Smart, I will make it my mission you and anyone else who voted for this will no longer be in your comfortable jobs.
-Robyn Gallagher

I am appalled that, as someone who supposedly supports all Aucklanders, you are kicking the Warriors out of Mt Smart. It has been their home for two decades. Sending the Warriors to Albany is like sending them to Siberia. It gives Aucklanders the impression you don't care about rugby league in Auckland and certainly don't care about the players or fans.
-Angela Skinner

I've generally been a supporter of Len Brown and think he's accomplished some great things for the city. However, as a strong Warriors supporter, I have to say I'm in shock the council is considering kicking the club out of Mt Smart and trying to force them into QBE. I know I speak on behalf of the majority of Warriors' season ticket holders (many of whom have been members for 20 years) that we will have no interest in renewing our memberships if the club is forced out. What they're contemplating is the death of the Vodafone Warriors. They will lose nearly all their fan base and have to start over. That's 20 years of building the club's support down the drain.
-Benek Lisefski

The council wanting to move the Warriors is another classic example of 'we are bigger, so we know best'. I disagree with the move. Mt Smart is the best place for the Warriors to represent rugby league in this country. I say no to any changes this council want to make and ask that public investigation be held into their decision-making over the whole of Auckland regarding sports clubs.
-Neil Harrison.

League fans moan too much. The facilities at Eden Park and QBE Stadium are far better for an allround fan experience. If league fans really cared about Mt Smart, they would attract far bigger crowds to their home games.
-Ben Solomon

League got taken away from Carlaw Park and now you're trying to take it away from Mt Smart. Mt Smart is the Warriors' home. The majority of fans are from South Auckland - you should know this, Len Brown. Mt Smart is the home of the Warriors and its fans, and for the council to take this away from the league people would be a tragedy.
-Olivia Marks

I think it is unfair to push the Warriors to QBE Stadium when the majority of their fans are in South Auckland. They have a huge fan base and any move over the Bridge would reduce the amount of fans attending games, therefore reducing the club's financial sustainability. A venue closer to the home of the current venue needs to be looked at.
-Kristin Edgeworth

The Warriors must stay at Mt Smart. Millions of dollars have been spent to upgrade what has become the spiritual home of rugby league in New Zealand since the closure of the revered Carlaw Park. To imagine league people attending matches at the soulless white elephants of union-oriented Eden Park or North Harbour Stadium is out of touch thinking similar to the harbour wharf expansion. The sooner council becomes accountable to the folk who elect them, the best for all concerned.
-Noel Andrews

As a local resident in the Mt Smart area, I do not want speedway coming into Mt Smart Stadium. We already hear the noise from Waikaraka Park from our place and now the council intends more of the same within a 5km radius. Leave the venue alone so everyone can enjoy the concerts, rugby league and other events that people attend from all over Auckland and New Zealand.
-Beth Edmonds

Of all the council's 'great' ideas, this is by far their most hare-brained. Do not the leaders have an obligation to listen to the people? In this case, it would seem not. Shame on you, Auckland Council. Listen to the people.
-Bax

I can't believe the council in its upcoming decisions regarding the stadiums and just hope they see some sense. As a league fan living in Farm Cove, I won't go to QBE Stadium, it's just too far. It's about time the council listened to the fans and organisers of the sports who use these stadiums instead of going down their own dream world track that we will then be left with for many years after we vote these incompetents out of council.
-Paul Brown

Why is it that for 20 years, fans from north of the Bridge have travelled to Mt Smart without any issues, yet as soon as QBE is mentioned, Jim Doyle tells everyone that no one will cross the bridge? When he says they won't move, who does he mean? As a season ticket holder, I don't recall being asked my thoughts about moving. Why can't speedway move in with the stock cars at Waikaraka Park? Problem solved.
-Jon

League is strongest in South Auckland, not the North Shore. League appears to be being sacrificed by this plan. Please consider alternatives.
-Peter Ross

I want to raise my strong objection to the proposed stadium shuffle. I am both a speedway and music fan, and attend events at Western Springs and Mt Smart. In no way do I or my family support moving speedway to Mt Smart, thereby destroying our wonderful stadium asset used to host large outdoor concerts by international artists. We have far more pressing issues facing our city than wasting ratepayer money on this net-loss outcome shuffle.
-Geoff Clow

- Herald on Sunday
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11442320

I would have expected better from Tom Conroy. (If it is the ex-kiwi.)

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors are threatening to leave New Zealand's largest city if the Auckland Council presses ahead with a controversial stadium shake-up that could see the NRL side forced to play away from Mt Smart Stadium.

Auckland Council is this week set to consider a major change to the region's sport stadiums as part of its long-term plan, part of which would force the club to leave its home of 20 years - Mt Smart Stadium - for a revamped QBE Stadium in Albany.

The Penrose ground would become a speedway venue and Western Springs turned into a cricket ground.

QBE Stadium would get a major upgrade, while Eden Park, which would remain the home of Auckland rugby and cricket, would also host Warriors games.

The Warriors are opposed to the $30 million plan, with chairman Bill Wavish and managing director Jim Doyle asking the council to delay a vote on the issue.

They also demanded a full review into the plan, saying the strategy would have "dire consequences" for the club and the city as a whole.

"We have made it clear through our own submission to the council in March and also in our letter sent to all councillors that the proposal to move us out of Mount Smart Stadium makes no sense at all," Mr Doyle said.

They wanted to talk with major stadium users to consider the best use of facilities.

Advertisement

"If the matter of our long-term future at Mount Smart isn't resolved satisfactorily we would have no option but to consider venues outside Auckland," Mr Doyle said.

"We will not be forced to leave Mount Smart at any point during our current lease which expires at the end of 2018. Furthermore, if the proposed RFA stadium strategy is supported, then we will actively encourage the incoming council to overturn the ill-conceived strategy prior to our lease expiring."

The plan has been proposed by Regional Facilities Auckland, which provides a regional approach to running and developing Auckland's arts, culture and sport sectors.

Former RFA chief executive Robert Domm said in November Auckland could not sustain three major rectangular stadiums.

"RFA aims, by the end of 2018, to reduce these three facilities down to two modern, upgraded major stadiums available in Auckland - these being RFA's QBE Stadium and the independently- operated Eden Park."

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/warriors-threaten-leave-auckland-over-stadium-plan-6307734

JJ

Immortal
You wonder whether outside of Auckland would be viable though?

Not much sense in this issue for me - personally I live close to Mt Smart so would be annoyed if they left, but really don't see them leaving Auckland, seems a hollow threat

spear tackle

Juniors
Just heard the council voted to move them out, so after getting my rates bill yesterday and now this its a double slap in my face this week from Auckland Council

LeagueNut

First Grade
Former RFA chief executive Robert Domm said in November Auckland could not sustain three major rectangular stadiums.

"RFA aims, by the end of 2018, to reduce these three facilities down to two modern, upgraded major stadiums available in Auckland - these being RFA's QBE Stadium and the independently- operated Eden Park."
So the obvious question here - why do this RFA mob care about the "independently operated" Eden Park?? They can have their two stadiums - Mt Smart & QBE - and leave those other f**kers to their own devices.

spear tackle

Juniors
Well I'm confused as well now. I heard a report on the radio that they had been kicked out,A few hours later the decision had been "deferred" then later on that "it wasn't set in stone" and that the guy who was doing all this had now moved to Australia and someone else was "having a look at it".
I think they know how unpopular this idea is and will either sneak it through last thing on a Friday or quietly sneak it through later in the years

Benek

Juniors
I wrote an email to Len Brown on this and just got a reply today saying the decision would be made in the next few days. So it's not a done deal - at least they're saying it's not. But indications are that it will pass, just barely.

spear tackle

Juniors
I wrote an email to Len Brown on this and just got a reply today saying the decision would be made in the next few days. So it's not a done deal - at least they're saying it's not. But indications are that it will pass, just barely.

Firstly I'm shocked you got a reply, secondly I bet it'll be snuck through last thing Friday right on knock off time

Rich102

Staff member
The Auckland City Council has voted for a partial back-down on plans to shift the New Zealand Warriors from its Mt Smart home, agreeing to delay a decision by 12 months.

Regional Facilities Auckland will use the period to speak with various sporting codes and stakeholders affected by the strategy.

The news comes after Warriors playmaker Shaun Johnson says he'd be "filthy" if the club was forced to move out of Mt Smart Stadium, echoing comments from the Mad Butcher who likened it to being "kicked out of home".

"It would be pretty weird to think of us not being here," Johnson said. "It's the ground I've grown up as a fan, always coming to watch the Warriors play at.

"That's the only way I see it. So if they move it, I will be filthy."

The Mad Butcher told TVNZ's Breakfast today he is prepared to fight to keep the Warriors at Mount Smart, calling Auckland Council "idiots" for wanting a stadium reshuffle.

"We're not going to move from Mt Smart," Leitch, who is known as the Warriors' number one fan, said.

"The fans don't want to move and the council are idiots wanting to put a speedway there. You wouldn't want to get kicked out of your home would you?"

As part of its long-term plan council is looking at a major overhaul of its sports stadiums, which could see speedway move from Western Springs to Mt Smart Stadium, with Western Springs redeveloped into a cricket ground.

The Warriors would then be forced to play home matches at a revamped QBE Stadium in Albany and at Eden Park, which will remain the home of cricket and rugby.

Advertisement

The NRL franchise, which has spent two decades in Penrose, are against the move and have threatened to leave New Zealand's biggest city if it's forced on them.

Their current lease expires in 2018.

Auckland Mayor Len Brown says the council is still in the discussion phase, but questioned where the money would come from to give Mt Smart a much-needed revamp.

Speedway Promotions Ltd has offered to contribute $5 million to redevelop Mt Smart.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/auc...l-backdown-over-warriors-stadium-move-6308962

Rich102

Staff member
If it is a case of the Warriors putting up $5 million to redevelop Mt Smart in return for an extended lease surely they would have to look seriously at it. (And then immediately write out a cheque.)

ozbash

Referee
If it is a case of the Warriors putting up $5 million to redevelop Mt Smart in return for an extended lease surely they would have to look seriously at it. (And then immediately write out a cheque.)

That's blackmail. Will the rent drop ?

Benek

Juniors
Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't they use the money they were going to spend to upgrade QBE and instead upgrade Mt Smart?