What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodwin debuts for Raiders!

Chachi

Bench
Lime_Green said:
Mind you it would be interesting to see Zillman at 6 and Carney at 7 some time...
Yeah, I'd like to see a Zilly/Carney combo at some stage too, but that doesn't solve the defensive issues we're all worried about right now. Maybe the fact that Carney/Campo have played a lot of PL together in the halves swayed Henry into that combo when he decided to give Dobson a rest. Maybe he just thinks Campese is better than Dobson right now!

On reflection, I think it's a very well thought out move under the circumstances - although I think most of us agree that Campese won't be a long term 5/8 for us. This team allows Bronx and Milne to have a start without unsettling Zillman...who is ready to rip Souths a new one running off Carney from fullback IMO.

Pack looks pretty good (give or take Tilsey starting) and if we manage to bash the crap out of Asotasi and Fa’alogo it should be more than interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Peachey drops out too.

jed

First Grade
Remember too that Dobson's had a few injuries of late - he strained his back against the Roosters, then played on a dodgy ankle against the Panthers. A week out of the top side might also help him get over any niggles that he's carrying.

As far as not having been offered a contract, I'm not too concerned. To offer him big bikkies before he's ever played a game in the NRL, despite being brilliant in the ESL last year, would be ludicrous. The season's only 2 months old, and I think it's only now that management are getting a genuine feel for how he's adapted. He has a great kicking game, I strongly feel that last season has done him a world of good, and if he can work on the other aspects of his game, I think he can look forward to an offer that's worthy of his signature. On the other hand, if the way he's playing at the moment is all he's capable of, then we need to look at other options, we can't afford to carry him over the coming seasons, just for his kicking.

That said, I am a huge fan of Dobbo's, and I think he'll step up over the next few weeks. I'm confident he'll be a Raider for a few more years. He's a Junee junior, so he'll have grown up supporting Daley and the Raiders, and if he can stay and be closer to his family & friends, I think his loyalty will win out, a lot more than other Raiders juniors *cough* Joel Monaghan *cough*

dubby

Bench
jed said:
Remember too that Dobson's had a few injuries of late - he strained his back against the Roosters, then played on a dodgy ankle against the Panthers. A week out of the top side might also help him get over any niggles that he's carrying.

As far as not having been offered a contract, I'm not too concerned. To offer him big bikkies before he's ever played a game in the NRL, despite being brilliant in the ESL last year, would be ludicrous. The season's only 2 months old, and I think it's only now that management are getting a genuine feel for how he's adapted. He has a great kicking game, I strongly feel that last season has done him a world of good, and if he can work on the other aspects of his game, I think he can look forward to an offer that's worthy of his signature. On the other hand, if the way he's playing at the moment is all he's capable of, then we need to look at other options, we can't afford to carry him over the coming seasons, just for his kicking.

That said, I am a huge fan of Dobbo's, and I think he'll step up over the next few weeks. I'm confident he'll be a Raider for a few more years. He's a Junee junior, so he'll have grown up supporting Daley and the Raiders, and if he can stay and be closer to his family & friends, I think his loyalty will win out, a lot more than other Raiders juniors *cough* Joel Monaghan *cough*

I agree.

Dobbo has always said he'd like to stay. He is good mates with TC so I cant see him choosing to leave.

Lime_Green

Juniors
jed said:

Actually he grew up as die hard Knights supporter and revered Andrew Johns.

If you read his comments he's going to do what's best for him, and the longer the Raiders hold off on offering him anything the more he seems to be stressing this.

His quote in the paper was pretty strong in that regard:

"The Raiders haven't put anything through yet so I'll just weigh up my options when I do get some offers and see what's best for me."

He's no longer stating the Raiders are his first choice, as he has in the past.

I'm not convinced he's that loyal, and why should he be if the club treats him like #@$%?

There are a lot of clubs on the hunt for a decent halfback at the moment. Don't be surprised to see one of them swoop in and steal from under the Raiders noses as per usual.

In all honesty I think the Raiders are holding off and waiting to see what other clubs offer him first.

Personally I don't like management's complacency. Unless Dobson has made big demands for $$$ (possible) I don't see why he hasn't been signed up yet.

Lime_Green

Juniors
What's the low down on Herbert?

Anyone seen him play? If so do you think he'll live up the expectations management seem to have of him?

Macko8

Juniors
I cannot believe people are talking about dobbos future at the club just because Neil has dropped him to premier league for this week.

Yes it was a bizarre move for this weeks game but dont get carried away about the issue.
Im sure if the raiders management tabled dobbo a good enough offer he will likely stay until at least 2010.

But if the people are right in saying that dobbo is going elsewhere at the end of the season than the raiders management need to jump off a cliff IMO.

The guy is what 20? and is in his debut season at NRL level, yes his played super league in england but NRL is a whole different ball game.

Remember carney, although he debuted younger than dobbo everyone expected big things from him straight up and when this didnt happen people started to doubt him.
Now look at carney, his fast becoming someone the team can depend on getting us across the line.

Rule number 1 just because a player is dropped dont think the worst FFS.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Macko8 said:
I cannot believe people are talking about dobbos future at the club just because Neil has dropped him to premier league for this week.

IMO most of the speculation is as a result of the statement in todays CT that management hasn't even tabled an offer to Dobson, and doesn't sound like its in hurry to. :(

legend

Coach
How can management table an offer after eight first grade games?

Don't you think it's odd no other club has tabled an offer either?

It's too early in his career to assess what he is really worth so managment would need at least enother 4-5 first grade games before they could get an accurate assessment as to his true worth.

The club is doing the right thing holding off at the moment.

Which clubs are in need of a half?

St George, Brisbane, Newcastle and the Tigers. Michael Monaghan will be the most coveted half on the market and then Dobson so until Monaghan is signed, Dobsons phone won't be ringing off the hook IMO. Blake Green from the Eels will also attract some interest from other clubs so there is more at play here than just Dobson when it comes to other clubs in need of a half.

Lime_Green

Juniors
legend said:
How can management table an offer after eight first grade games?

Don't you think it's odd no other club has tabled an offer either?

It's too early in his career to assess what he is really worth so managment would need at least enother 4-5 first grade games before they could get an accurate assessment as to his true worth.

The club is doing the right thing holding off at the moment.

Which clubs are in need of a half?

St George, Brisbane, Newcastle and the Tigers. Michael Monaghan will be the most coveted half on the market and then Dobson so until Monaghan is signed, Dobsons phone won't be ringing off the hook IMO. Blake Green from the Eels will also attract some interest from other clubs so there is more at play here than just Dobson when it comes to other clubs in need of a half.

A season of ESL + a near Man of Steel award counts for nothing? :crazy:

And besides the Raiders have plenty of players on decent $$$ that are yet to even make an NRL debut. TLL was handed a big $$$ Raiders contract after only a few games in first grade for the Broncos. Sometimes you have to take a gamble on potential. And for that matter what about Zillman? Had he even played a first grade match when we signed him up to the big bucks?

How do you know that other clubs haven't approached Dobson? I'd be surprised if they aren't at least talking to him, Monaghan or no Monaghan. There's only one Monaghan amongst several clubs on the prowl for a half. They'll be sussing out backups.

Management have opted to play the waiting game and this has been historically dangerous for this club. We are hardly a powerhouse when it comes to recruitment. Chances are if there is any competition we won't win the signature. That's just how it goes.

And those that insist that Dobson will be loyal are naive IMO. He's a professional footballer, he'll put his interests first, and he's said as much in the papers. Who'd have thought Mr Oh So Green Schifcofske would leave, after all.

A lot depends on the $$$ he is asking.

If Henry is behind this than fair enough. If he doubts Dobson's quality, then sure hold off. But if this management playing games again, I'm not so confident it'll have a good result.

legend

Coach
I'm not confident at all of retaining him but he has to be realistic in his asking price and I would say at this stage of his career, he's worth approx 150-180k per year over three years.

If he is asking more and a club is willing to pay it, then he's as good as gone.

Chachi

Bench
Herbert has undoubted potential, but he is hardly dominating PL let alone ready for First Grade IMO. It'll be a few years before he's ready to guide the boys around in Firsts.

If I was a betting man (which I'm not) I'd have money on Dobbo re-signing.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I don't think Dobson is going anywhere. I think people are reading too much into his demotion. I predict he'll be back there against the Dragons.

Dave Q

Coach
I dont care if Joey Johns himself pops up in lime green, there is no way you will win this match.

Come to grips with it now lads and save tears and heartbreak on match eve.

nickraider

Juniors
Dave Q said:
I dont care if Joey Johns himself pops up in lime green, there is no way you will win this match.

Come to grips with it now lads and save tears and heartbreak on match eve.

Thanks for the tip Dave. I'll go and buy the kleenex now. :roll: You might want to get a box too and mop up that stuff that comes out of your mouth.

dubby

Bench
Lime_Green said:
A season of ESL + a near Man of Steel award counts for nothing? :crazy:

And besides the Raiders have plenty of players on decent $$$ that are yet to even make an NRL debut. TLL was handed a big $$$ Raiders contract after only a few games in first grade for the Broncos. Sometimes you have to take a gamble on potential. And for that matter what about Zillman? Had he even played a first grade match when we signed him up to the big bucks?

How do you know that other clubs haven't approached Dobson? I'd be surprised if they aren't at least talking to him, Monaghan or no Monaghan. There's only one Monaghan amongst several clubs on the prowl for a half. They'll be sussing out backups.

Management have opted to play the waiting game and this has been historically dangerous for this club. We are hardly a powerhouse when it comes to recruitment. Chances are if there is any competition we won't win the signature. That's just how it goes.

And those that insist that Dobson will be loyal are naive IMO. He's a professional footballer, he'll put his interests first, and he's said as much in the papers. Who'd have thought Mr Oh So Green Schifcofske would leave, after all.

A lot depends on the $$$ he is asking.

If Henry is behind this than fair enough. If he doubts Dobson's quality, then sure hold off. But if this management playing games again, I'm not so confident it'll have a good result.

:?

TLL contract is incentive and reward based. His base contract is not as high as you'd imagine. Zillman is still not on a very large contract compared to others. We all know that Raiders players are paid well, we have to do so to get them here. But, these players you mention are not on 200k contracts. I have it on very good authority that a top Sydney club were close to making a BIG offer to get Zilly and Hayne from Parra. It wont happen though. My point is, Zillys contract is not huge. TLL is more than most of us earn (except TR and Legend ;-) ) but its not what SHif/Toots/Germ/Smithy were on.

You assume way too much without knowing anything.

Latest posts