What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodwin debuts for Raiders!

shear_joy9

Coach
Dobson is seriously overrated imo. The second half of the Manly he was a passenger.

I would have definately dropped Campese though, he was much worse than Dobson
and really doesn't add anything to our team.

Legend, lay off the negative comments about the kick and chase.
Had the ball gone a metre or two to the right and Zillman would just about have scored.

I love the fact that this team this year is willing to play a more exciting/expansion style of football. Plays like that are what the fans come to see.

Also bar Stewart, Bowen and Slater, Zilly would have had 10 meters on everyone else.

julian87

Juniors
I have to say once again that Campese should be a centre. Also that Chalk let in a thousand tries last weekend. Campese and Chalk on the right hand side may accomodate Dobson and Carney as well.

In saying that, I wish Goodwin and Milne the best of luck.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
^ I don't think it was the play as such that was the problem, but the time at which it was tried. We hadn't had any ball for the ten minutes or so prior to that scrum and we really needed to just hold the ball for 6 and get down the other end. It's one thing to chance your arm, but that was just a dumb play. Most dissapointing was that it was Tonguey - with so many inexperienced guys in our squad we can't afford our senior players to make those kind of mistakes.

I can't fathom Dobson's dropping. The guy is a dead set first grader, and it is in first grade that he learn to develop some of the areas of his game that need work. His also twice the player that Terry Campese is.

Still his just a kid, and plenty of other talented kids have been relegated early in their FG careers. This is a massive challenge for both him and Henry, because we need whatever the issue with him to be rectified ASAP so he can regain his spot in first grade...we have played 40 mins without him all year (second half verse roosters) and we looked a far less organised outfit.

Anyway, Henry is new to first grade as well and you have to admire his courage at the selection table this week. I look forward to seeing how his decisions pan out on the weekend - lets hope that they serve notice to the entire squad and everyone comes out firing (and that dobbo is back in FG soon :( )!

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
VictorTheViking said:
Chalk was probably one of our better outside backs last week, definately deserves his spot there above howell and best

WTF are u serious, watch the game again that take he made was classic but he was submitting to tackels even b4 he hit the deffecnce!! he was palyting like he was nursing an injury which maybe he was, he was in doubt b4 the game im actually a chalk fan but he wasnt carrting the ball with any purpose like he usuallyt does.

I'm sure he will bounce back tho

Timbo

Staff member
PRKLCD said:
Saw Dobbo on the news and he says that the coach wants him to work on his running game that's why he is back in PL. I didn't see this coming, but I agree I haven't seen much of his running game............................ but that's what Carney is for

I'd buy that.

The deficiencies in his running game have gone unnoticed with Carney outside him but with Campo there he's been shown up a bit.

shear_joy9 said:
Legend, lay off the negative comments about the kick and chase.
Had the ball gone a metre or two to the right and Zillman would just about have scored.

exactly. in the last few seasons people have complained about the boring, dour style of football. Now, the team is allowed to add flair, take risks, and people are still complaining. The players are told to back their own ability, and that is what they are doing. Doesn't always come off, but you never know unless the question is asked. I applaud this new found enthusiasm by the team.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I am sure there is nothing more in Dobson's dropping than what has been said by the coach, having said that I wouldn't be surprised if a cashed up Newcastle make a serious play for him and may be prepared to pay '"overs" and in that respect I don't think we should break the bank to retain him. Providing Goodwin makes the grade he will be seen as our long term fullback leaving a position up for grabs for Zillman who I am sure is better suited to the halves. Not forgetting Herbert and McCrone coming through as well. Clearly our priority is outside backs.

nickraider

Juniors
Schif_Happens said:
exactly. in the last few seasons people have complained about the boring, dour style of football. Now, the team is allowed to add flair, take risks, and people are still complaining. The players are told to back their own ability, and that is what they are doing. Doesn't always come off, but you never know unless the question is asked. I applaud this new found enthusiasm by the team.

Totally agree. I think the signs are good for the Raiders. Henry is doing good things and is not afraid to wield the axe if players aren't performing unlike our previous mentor!!

raidersforme

Juniors
Raiders six axed in defensive fix Dobson shock at demotion
Sam Worthington
space.gif

Frustrated Canberra Raiders coach Neil Henry has reacted strongly to his team's second-half meltdown against Manly, dumping six players, including halfback Michael Dobson. Playmaker Todd Carney returns from a quadricep injury to displace housemate Dobson at halfback while Terry Campese retains the five-eighth jersey.
Carney was the Raiders' first-choice No7 last season, partnering Jason Smith in the halves.
The Raiders led Manly 12-6 at half-time on Sunday before the Sea Eagles shredded Canberra's defence, scoring a point every minute to win 46-30.
Henry blasted Canberra's poor defensive display and has backed premier league players to make the step up to the NRL against Souths at Telstra Stadium on Saturday.
In other Raiders changes:
Wingers David Howell and Colin Best demoted to premier league and replaced by debutant Bronx Goodwin and David Milne.
Props Michael Weyman (ankle) and Scott Logan (neck) return from injury.
Second rowers Matt Bickerstaff (knee) and Glen Turner (hamstring) return to first-grade in place of Ben Jones (concussion) and Trevor Thurling (premier league).
Interchange hooker Ryan Hinchcliffe dropped to premier league.
Dobson admitted to being shocked at Henry's decision to cut him from first grade but vowed to prove him wrong. The 20-year-old goalkicker is Canberra's leading points-scorer this season with 52.
"It was a pretty big shock but I'll just cop it on the chin and work hard now to get back into first grade," Dobson said.
"I thought my form's been alright, I've had some good games and I've had a few games that I wasn't too happy with, but I've been pretty happy with it [overall]."
Dobson comes off contract with the Raiders at the end of the season.
The Junee product said the club hadn't begun negotiations to retain him next year.
"The Raiders haven't put anything through yet so I'll just weigh up my options when I do get some offers and see what's best for me."
Henry said yesterday a stint in premier league would aid the development of Dobson's running game and decision-making skills.
"Dobbo's been a bit quiet, Todd Carney comes back in and I think Terry Campese's been very solid at six so it was always going to be a bit difficult for Dobbo," Henry said.
"You have your ups and downs and I just think he needs to get his running game in order and a couple of decisions there [against Manly], a couple of kick options [were] not quite right.
"He'll benefit from the experience back in premier league."
Henry said he valued Campese's solidity and physical presence in the five-eighth position as he attempted to patch up the Raiders' leaky defence.
"We need to perform. We can't hide the fact that we conceded 40 points in 40 minutes at home and that's not good enough," he said.
"We'll be judged on our defensive effort for the next few weeks."
Henry believed the sweeping changes were necessary to remove complacency from the first-grade squad.
"I think it's risky if we leave players in that are not performing, that's what the risk is."
Goodwin, 23, will make his NRL debut against sixth-placed Souths.
The son of former St George great Ted Goodwin was relishing the prospect of marking Rabbitohs flyer Nathan Merritt.
"I've played against Nath a couple of times, I'm pretty good mates with him up in Sydney," Goodwin said.
"I've run him down a couple of times but I don't know if I could do that anymore, he'd probably get me."
The Raiders will take a five-man, forward-heavy bench to Sydney.
Henry said either prop Troy Thompson or second-rower Bickerstaff, battling injuries and soreness respectively, could drop out of the 18-man squad.
Souths named yesterday an unchanged starting line-up from the side that lost 8-4 to Brisbane on Friday.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=582970&category=Rugby League

I like that henry will demote players and some have had a good chance to prove but have failed. I would even like them to go further and release a coupe of them.

Looks like dobson will go elsewhere at the end of year. Why don't they give and offer or are they wanting to loose him by not offering to early.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Well our management's retention in the past few years is probably the worst in the NRL so it doesn't surprise me that Dobbo hasn't heard anything. They'll probably wait for a market value than low ball him!

dubby

Bench
I said in another thread that Dobbos axing was a result of his poor options on the last tackle and his reluctancy to take the game and control it.

A strong half would have helped put Manly away last week with long kicks, and leadership.

Sadly, Dobbo is only about 7 NRL games old and is still learning. This is why he has gone back to PL guys. Dobbo will respond and this shock axing will only make him want it (NRL) more.

Kudos, Neil Henry, Kudos.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Or it could make him lose confidence and feel on outer all of which may contribute to him signing up with another club.

Seems that may be want management wants.

reptar

Juniors
Gosh, there's a lot of conspiracy theories being thrown around. Guys, unless you KNOW something, it's probably not a good idea to make up stories about it. Things that often start as made up rumours can end up being twisted and affecting events.

Chachi

Bench
I think management is just keeping an open mind on where our future lies. The fact that they haven't offered Dobbo a contract indicates to me that Henry is still to be convinced he's the right man for the job. It will be interesting to see how he responds in PL and it's probably good timing to test him out considering he hasn't had any formal offers from other clubs anyway.

I agree he's been pretty good so far and it was a shock to see him dropped, but we still need to see how Bronx handles first grade and where that leaves Zillman (who has also performed well under a lot of pressure). Just because Dobbo has mostly done the job so far it doesn't mean he's the best man in the 7 or that we should be pressured into re-signing him just for the sake of it. Remember if Bronx gets the fullback job it's impossible to fit him, Carney, Zillman and Herbert into the halves - especially with the new under 20's comp starting next season which could make a HUGE difference to the structure of every squad in the NRL.

That's not to say there's not other options, but we have to keep an open mind. We need to remember the big picture - and the fact we really really really need a top shelf three-quarter on the books.

I personally hope Dobson responds well and gets promoted again soon, but if he spits the dummy or doesn't do the job in PL then that will tell us something too.

Henry has indicated he wants more than 'mostly good enough' to take us to the next level. He should be applauded for it.

Chachi

Bench
And remember the outrage when Carney was dropped. Now we all know what the real story was behind that, and I'm not suggesting anything like that has happened here, but the ultimate outcome was he came back a better first grader.

I also get the feeling that Dobbo genuinely wants to stay here and be part of something special. That's just an outside observation though.

aussies1st

Staff member
Thought we would have offered Dobbo a contract by now and if not why not let him prove himself. Carney hasn't been the best organiser, this will be his best test. I feel he is better at 5/8 though where he can come in when he wants and use his step.

dubby

Bench
Chachi said:
I think management is just keeping an open mind on where our future lies. The fact that they haven't offered Dobbo a contract indicates to me that Henry is still to be convinced he's the right man for the job. It will be interesting to see how he responds in PL and it's probably good timing to test him out considering he hasn't had any formal offers from other clubs anyway.

I agree he's been pretty good so far and it was a shock to see him dropped, but we still need to see how Bronx handles first grade and where that leaves Zillman (who has also performed well under a lot of pressure). Just because Dobbo has mostly done the job so far it doesn't mean he's the best man in the 7 or that we should be pressured into re-signing him just for the sake of it. Remember if Bronx gets the fullback job it's impossible to fit him, Carney, Zillman and Herbert into the halves - especially with the new under 20's comp starting next season which could make a HUGE difference to the structure of every squad in the NRL.

That's not to say there's not other options, but we have to keep an open mind. We need to remember the big picture - and the fact we really really really need a top shelf three-quarter on the books.

I personally hope Dobson responds well and gets promoted again soon, but if he spits the dummy or doesn't do the job in PL then that will tell us something too.

Henry has indicated he wants more than 'mostly good enough' to take us to the next level. He should be applauded for it.

Excellent post. Well said.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Chachi said:

Well said. I think to some extent Henry is experimenting.

To keep Todd Carney in the long term we're not going to be able to keep all these other halves. Other teams are going to go after TC hard next year IMO and we need to be offer him a figure in the same ball park. Hard decisions will need to be made.

I'd like to see Carney and Dobson as our long term halves combination though.

Mind you it would be interesting to see Zillman at 6 and Carney at 7 some time...

Mal's Milk

Juniors
Lime_Green said:
Mind you it would be interesting to see Zillman at 6 and Carney at 7 some time...

Agree, I wonder if Zillman will be used as a second receiver against the Bunnies.......

Latest posts