What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould negativity on the game

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Rabs and Gus have this year reached completely intolerable levels.

Absolutely awful commentary and a blight on the game

exactly.. listened to Vossy commentate a few games this weekend and he is easily the games best caller.. to think that ray and rabs are the best channel 9 can muster is embarrassing

FlameThrower

Bench
Rabs and Gus have this year reached completely intolerable levels.

Absolutely awful commentary and a blight on the game

Spot on, and name one other 'professional sport' that would allow this to continue? The same network that claims to be the home of Rugby League , spend more time bagging it, have added almost nothing in innovation in the broadcast in years and who have made no attempt. To grow the game outside of 2 states???

David Smith should ring ch9 and get these guys in line....

undertaker

Coach
at the moment i think he should concentrate all his energy on the Panthers, and put his TV work on hold.

This

You cannot serve two masters. There's only so much time in a week you can spend juggling multiple work-related activities before it starts catching up with you (e.g. Ray Hadley and James Brayshaw, whose strenuous work commitments played a role in their marriage breakdowns) And in Gus' case, it's becoming increasingly difficult to constantly travel 75km from the Sutherland Shire (where he lives) to Penrith and put in long hours to help Ivan Cleary and make the Panthers successful during the week, and at the same time spending hours outside of Panthers commitments writing news articles for the SMH and commentary commitments for Ch9, let alone spending time at home with his wife and family etc.

Although Sterlo isn't affiliated with any clubs in a working capacity, he has also scaled back commentary duties and no longer calls the Sunday Ch9 game largely due to his increased commitments with his tv show on Fox Sports and also commitments with Triple M's Monday night football coverage and The Rush Hour during the week.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
I'm certain 9 have all their commentators play up a certain role.

That said, I feel that Gould has added his own agenda in there. He's obviously building up a lot of anti-NRL sentiment at the moment. We all have at least some issues with how things are run but ffs on the weekend we just want to watch the bloody thing not hear constant bitching.

Paytv about 14 years ago had a novel idea when digital paytv (Austar) came to the fore.

You pressed the red button on your remote,and viola!,no commentary...just the crowd.You could even select from which view you wanted.There was the commentary on/off,crowd on/off,coaches view,player view (I think),and some other view I can't recall.

So back then,it was fine and dandy.You could watch a game,hear the crowd (would be even greater these days with 3D surround) and have a couple of beers without the constant nit-picking.It was,I will admit,a revolutionary way to enjoy the football and kudos to the Foxsports mob that developed such a great and novel way of watching the game.

But what happened the next season?...if it lasted the first season it was introduced?...well,it got shafted.

I didn't bother to ring and complain,because in those early days of Austar,I immediately though it was another technical issue.

No reason given.No mail-out given to why it was suspended...not even on their website.

And now 14 years ago,that technical issue still hasn't been solved.

Sigh...would be great to see it return...as well as our sanity.:)

Incorrect

Coach
Paytv about 14 years ago had a novel idea when digital paytv (Austar) came to the fore.

You pressed the red button on your remote,and viola!,no commentary...just the crowd.You could even select from which view you wanted.There was the commentary on/off,crowd on/off,coaches view,player view (I think),and some other view I can't recall.

So back then,it was fine and dandy.You could watch a game,hear the crowd (would be even greater these days with 3D surround) and have a couple of beers without the constant nit-picking.It was,I will admit,a revolutionary way to enjoy the football and kudos to the Foxsports mob that developed such a great and novel way of watching the game.

But what happened the next season?...if it lasted the first season it was introduced?...well,it got shafted.

I didn't bother to ring and complain,because in those early days of Austar,I immediately though it was another technical issue.

No reason given.No mail-out given to why it was suspended...not even on their website.

Maybe it's your remote? Have you checked the batteries or tried using the red button on another remote?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

You sure it was 14 years ago? I remember it only lasting a season or so aswell but surely it wasn't that long ago? I used to love it.

expansionist

Juniors
The simple fact of it for me is that Rugby League in Australia - for some reason has to contend with the most horribly negative commentary from 'journalists' who are paid to cover it.

Why does our great sport breed people who seem to delight in their own myopic view of their own club or their own interests without thinking about the game as a whole?

Union is a classic example of an absolutely terrible product which is talked up.. Cricket, the media is always talking up the skill levels of the players etc.

In RL they dwell on players errors, they dwell on negatives, they promote their own agendas and basically put themselves above the game.

No other sport would tolerate it.

Here its kind of a bizzaro-world badge of honour. Rothfield, or Gould or Hadley etc say things that damage the game, and instead of taking any form of criticism onboard they wear it proudly. Their employers - the mass media - dont just ignore it they seemingly encourage it!

The Channel Nein commentary team can be described as senile at best. They are an embarrassment to our game - and at worst Hadley, Rabs, Gould (in his media sense) could be at worst called leaches. They do nothing to promote the game, but derive a living from deriding it.

Thankfully there are still some journos out there who love the game (Mascord, Voss etc).

I vote the only way I can - buy not watching Nein (or turning the volume off) and by voicing my opinions to the small group who may listen.

The game has to realise its bigger than the media and encourage positivity rather than stamp out negativity. Mascord once said something along the lines of - people want to know about RL - and if they cant get it from one source they will get it from another. Imagine how long 'Buzz' would last if the NRL gave him no access to players?

Sorry for the slightly off topic rant.

insert.pause

First Grade
Gus today retweeted a News Corp article, so they are fine as long as it suits his agenda, gone full circle back to his incessant narking of Gallop era.

He also said the commission should be made up of only ex players and the biggest problem in the game is the governing body.

Given his campaigning you could hardly blame the NRL for throwing a new licensing agreement down as condition for a 10 year loan, honestly, what's he expect, a 10 year $6.5m loan from the NRL to a club openly hostile to the governing body with a licensing agreement that expires in only 3 years! Perhaps if he & his cronies dibb & politis weren't treating the NRL as the enemy the NRL wouldn't feel threatened?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I wouldnt be surprised if the next licencing deal has the clubs threatening to walk if they dont get a huge pay rise...And if it does happen, i hope the ARLC tells them to f*ck off!!!

Given the prospect/threat of forced relocation, im surprised clubs arent looking for these big extensions. Super League happened, in part, because the ARL would only offer licences 1 year at a time.

Then again, a big part of the old Boy Club mentality is "win at all costs"; i really hope the ARLC has a plan to cut out this cancer...

insert.pause

First Grade
I wouldnt be surprised if the next licencing deal has the clubs threatening to walk if they dont get a huge pay rise...And if it does happen, i hope the ARLC tells them to f*ck off!!!

Given the prospect/threat of forced relocation, im surprised clubs arent looking for these big extensions. Super League happened, in part, because the ARL would only offer licences 1 year at a time.

Then again, a big part of the old Boy Club mentality is "win at all costs"; i really hope the ARLC has a plan to cut out this cancer...

It's essentially the old big vs small government debate. The new agreements are more comprehensive than what they are now, giving the NRL much more power over the clubs, like what the AFL have. That's part of what all this shit stirring has been about over the last couple of years, Politis, Gould & dib don't want to concede any power and feel the NRL should be winded back.

Media were calling for a dictator to run the game like demetriou did the AFL, yet Smith is trying to get the power to be able to run the game that way and the same media whinge. It will be interesting when some of these clubs refuse to sign new agreements and the NRL turn around and say fine, there's too many clubs in Sydney anyway.

Gould would have been wiser to get close with Smith and try and influence him round to his thinking, but instead, predictably, digs his heels in and goes right on the offensive. That's the culture of the game in Sydney and the very reason why the independence of the commission is soo important.

CSFC

Juniors
All I ever see resonating from Gould is negativity, especially against the blues during origin smh.

nrlnrl

First Grade
The simple fact of it for me is that Rugby League in Australia - for some reason has to contend with the most horribly negative commentary from 'journalists' who are paid to cover it.

Why does our great sport breed people who seem to delight in their own myopic view of their own club or their own interests without thinking about the game as a whole?

Union is a classic example of an absolutely terrible product which is talked up.. Cricket, the media is always talking up the skill levels of the players etc.

In RL they dwell on players errors, they dwell on negatives, they promote their own agendas and basically put themselves above the game.

No other sport would tolerate it.

Here its kind of a bizzaro-world badge of honour. Rothfield, or Gould or Hadley etc say things that damage the game, and instead of taking any form of criticism onboard they wear it proudly. Their employers - the mass media - dont just ignore it they seemingly encourage it!

The Channel Nein commentary team can be described as senile at best. They are an embarrassment to our game - and at worst Hadley, Rabs, Gould (in his media sense) could be at worst called leaches. They do nothing to promote the game, but derive a living from deriding it.

Thankfully there are still some journos out there who love the game (Mascord, Voss etc).

I vote the only way I can - buy not watching Nein (or turning the volume off) and by voicing my opinions to the small group who may listen.

The game has to realise its bigger than the media and encourage positivity rather than stamp out negativity. Mascord once said something along the lines of - people want to know about RL - and if they cant get it from one source they will get it from another. Imagine how long 'Buzz' would last if the NRL gave him no access to players?

Sorry for the slightly off topic rant.

No need to apologise when it's correct. I watch plenty of local & overseas sport. The NRL commentators are by far the worst when it comes to dwelling on decisions. They cannot let the moment pass without lingering on the decision if they disagree with it. However, if the video refs take their time to check something & it goes against the team they are supporting or have a bet on, the commentators say 'just give it'.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Tonight was pretty bad as well, its not just negativity, its when there is a blow out score..they wax lyrical about shit...

Has anyone ever considered, a simple point,

in the NRL we call our main commentators Rabbits, Gus, Joey , Freddy, Bolts, Vossy, Waz, fatty, sterlo

Never heard bruce mcaveny or gordon bray called anything but bruce mcaveny or gordon bray