What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
There just has to be some sort of jinx that Wayne Bennett puts on the coaches that replace him at clubs he leaves. Previous Broncos ones like Henjak, Griffin, Knights, Broncos again (Seibold), Us (Price) all failures. Jason D will be the next.

Gould's review of us was definitely a Claytons one. If they say that the Review wasn't on Mary, then did he just give recommendations to Brian Johnston about getting more qualified assistants like Flanagan and other minor stuff after talking to a couple of the players. Nothing documented would mean just that - Claytons and now all is hearsay!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gus is a myth. He was a good coach. But is now thrown about like he is a football oracle.

He is a walnut stamper like half the others that run organisations surrounding rugby league
I think he was a good coach in his day. But when asked on channel 9 if he would return to coaching, about 5+ years ago, he replied, "I already have a job."

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Just listened to six tackles with Gus round 7 and he went on a massive spiel about not sacking coaches. Sounded to me like a lot of what he was saying was directed at our board. Basically he said that certain clubs had not developed their juniors properly and with the squad they have no coach will get them into the finals. He said with player managers the way they are it’s simply not possible to buy your way to a good squad as you will end up paying overs and leaving anything for the remainder of the squad. Long story short let’s promote some players and bite the bullet.

Puff

First Grade
Just listened to six tackles with Gus round 7 and he went on a massive spiel about not sacking coaches. Sounded to me like a lot of what he was saying was directed at our board. Basically he said that certain clubs had not developed their juniors properly and with the squad they have no coach will get them into the finals. He said with player managers the way they are it’s simply not possible to buy your way to a good squad as you will end up paying overs and leaving anything for the remainder of the squad. Long story short let’s promote some players and bite the bullet.

So you mean to tell me this moron said that the clubs had not developed juniors well so the existing coach should be cut some slack?

I would have thought part of a head coaches role was to ensure junior development was on track? Take Klopp for example. He has had melwood sold and a new training facility built so all ages of development can be viewed and monitored.

I mean if junior development is not up to scratch at a club, after 7 years of being there would you as head coach not have said something? Same goes for recruitment.

Paying overs? Develop juniors. Can’t develop? Recruit smart. There is no excuse for poor performance over an extended period. The person overseeing the performance needs the punt. In our case it’s Mary, Millward and the board. It should be a mass punt.

forgive me I didn’t listen to the story. But if he has said that he is a bigger moron then I first thought

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
So you mean to tell me this moron said that the clubs had not developed juniors well so the existing coach should be cut some slack?

I would have thought part of a head coaches role was to ensure junior development was on track? Take Klopp for example. He has had melwood sold and a new training facility built so all ages of development can be viewed and monitored.

I mean if junior development is not up to scratch at a club, after 7 years of being there would you as head coach not have said something? Same goes for recruitment.

forgive me I didn’t listen to the story. But if he has said that he is a bigger moron then I first thought
I think he was more saying that by buying players on overs, in particular Hunt, Norman they use up too much of the cap leaving not much for your Garrick’s and Luciano’s etc. So you have a top tier but no depth. And no succession plan. That’s what I took from it. Have a listen, I can’t explain stuff for shit.

blue bags

First Grade
some L plater coach , and still there after 7 years, there is a shitload going on in the background, than any of us know about , i would love to know the truth, i really would
and another thing, Mary has another 2 years contract ?? or im mistaken ? that would be 8, 9 , years , fairdinkim , he would be dragons- steelers, longest serving coach in history ??
crazy days indeed :oops:

getsmarty

Immortal
some L plater coach , and still there after 7 years, there is a shitload going on in the background, than any of us know about , i would love to know the truth, i really would
and another thing, Mary has another 2 years contract ?? or im mistaken ? that would be 8, 9 , years , fairdinkim , he would be dragons- steelers, longest serving coach in history ??
crazy days indeed :oops:

In all honesty bluebags, he should never have lasted this long...If he were at any other club, his performances would have demanded that he be gone years ago. That should tell you volumes.

denis preston

First Grade
I think he was more saying that by buying players on overs, in particular Hunt, Norman they use up too much of the cap leaving not much for your Garrick’s and Luciano’s etc. So you have a top tier but no depth. And no succession plan. That’s what I took from it. Have a listen, I can’t explain stuff for shit.

I think , in fairness to Gould , his points have been directed to our Board and i think we all would agree. You have got to put things in place ( succession plans, junior pathways ,every position accountable ,financial security, develop a club DNA, etc etc ) We have all been saying that yes the coach is crap and has destroyed a lot in the club but the BOARD has sat back and let it happen

getsmarty

Immortal
I think , in fairness to Gould , his points have been directed to our Board and i think we all would agree. You have got to put things in place ( succession plans, junior pathways ,every position accountable ,financial security, develop a club DNA, etc etc ) We have all been saying that yes the coach is crap and has destroyed a lot in the club but the BOARD has sat back and let it happen

100% correct denis...but they seem to be accountable only to themselves.

Constantly appoint "Old Boys "...etc... Compared to other clubs we are under-performing on a regular basis and while fans start to turn their collective backs on the club they cry foul.

If the rumours are correct that McGregor will see out his contract, then I think that will be it for me...

Had a gut-full... The Place as a whole looks stale and out of date and nobody currently in the organization seems to have the passion and nous to be able to turn things around....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
And they are the ones that extended him with no clauses.

On NRL360 tonight, Paul K*nt and Ben Ikin tore shreds off Siebold and Broncs management. And I mean tore shreds. At one point, laughed at the suggestion that Siebold needs better assistants - what's the point of paying $800k to a head cb if he needs help.

Why the f#*kers treat poor performances differently from club to club is beyond me. This narrative that the Dragons and similar clubs should be satisfied with the odd finals appearance, but the high performance clubs need success and need immediate action.

The baldy prick has done nothing for 7 years but it's not his fault.

So furious.

Straight Shooter

BLM01

First Grade
On NRL360 tonight, Paul K*nt and Ben Ikin tore shreds off Siebold and Broncs management. And I mean tore shreds. At one point, laughed at the suggestion that Siebold needs better assistants - what's the point of paying $800k to a head cb if he needs help.

Why the f#*kers treat poor performances differently from club to club is beyond me. This narrative that the Dragons and similar clubs should be satisfied with the odd finals appearance, but the high performance clubs need success and need immediate action.

The baldy prick has done nothing for 7 years but it's not his fault.

So furious.

Straight Shooter
Stay calm OV. McCashedUp can run but cant hide anymore
The Wheel of Mediadoom will land on us in a few weeks...just got share the gloom
Its marvellous a win shuts everybody up as I have always said they have the shortest memories and talk as if some of them are the experts (who many have never played any 1sts or reggies) that we cant wait to hear their opinion from and how much they know and read the game.
I was listening intently to Gus on Friday night almost ecstatic how the Dragons were fighting a good fight and how we were in it and well we are playing troubling the champions and could win this saying how a couple of winsand we look a much different side.
.then crickets when Roosters went from 1st to 2nd and we went in reverse like normal in the 2nd half after taking the 2.

getsmarty

Immortal
'It's a matter of integrity': Fitzgibbon puts loyalty above opportunity despite links to top jobs
Christian Nicolussi
June 29, 2020 — 6.10pm

Craig Fitzgibbon says he is more than ready to become an NRL head coach but clubs will have to wait until at least 2022 for his signature because of a handshake deal with Sydney Roosters pair Trent Robinson and Nick Politis.

The New Zealand Warriors were, on Monday, the latest club linked to Fitzgibbon.

@nzwarriors centre Patrick Herbert has opened up about the challenges the players face, especially those that haven't been able to see their loved ones. #NRL

The 43-year-old believes he has what it takes to take charge of a team, but is determined to put loyalty and his word ahead of money and opportunity.

"I'm ready to be a head coach, I've done a lot of hard work to be ready, but I have an agreement with Nick and Robbo and I'll honour that,'' Fitzgibbon told the Herald.

"It's a matter of integrity. Those two are two of my closest friends, I shook hands and looked them in the eye and said, 'I'll be here this year and next year', and I'll be honouring that.

"I don't want to have that over me, where I just jumped at a better offer or opportunity.

a406143ecf815149c80fde12af988a2c17e8dbb9

Craig Fitzgibbon with Roosters skipper Boyd Cordner at training last week.Credit:Getty Images

"I've been at the Roosters nearly 20 years. It's not what I want to do. It's not lost on me I could miss some opportunities - and I'm flattered by the attention - but I'm not going back on my word.

"We're in a position to do well the next couple of years and I'm not walking away from that.''

The Warriors sacked Stephen Kearney last Saturday week, despite the coach doing his best to keep morale high while the players were stranded in Australia - away from loved ones in Auckland - because of COVID-19.

Todd Payten watched his side concede 50 points last Friday night during his first game in charge of an NRL side. He will no doubt be among the candidates added to the club's wish list that was expected to be discussed for the first time by club officials at home in Auckland on Monday night.

086cbae4323af241225ff83e43bd35e7505018d7

Craig Fitzgibbon has been with the Bondi club nearly 20 years.Credit:Action Photographics

Fitzgibbon was linked to the Newcastle job last year, only for fellow Roosters assistant Adam O'Brien to take the job. St George Illawarra, Canterbury and now the Warriors have been linked to the highly -respected Clive Churchill medallist.

The fact he will be off limits until the end of next year will not be lost on Dragons officials and fans, who are working out what to do with current coach Paul McGregor, whose deal expires at the end of 2021. Fitzgibbon spent his first two years in the top grade with the Steelers and then St George Illawarra before becoming a Roosters favourite.

Any job Fitzgibbon accepts will be a big comedown from working with the likes of James Tedesco, Boyd Cordner, Jake Friend, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Luke Keary and the injured Victor Radley.

The former Steelers back-rower enjoys taking home an assistant's pay packet, which can be anywhere north of $250,000 in club-land, plus anonymity, something all coaches give up when they step into the top job.

"That's not lost on me, but if you're going to do it you have to be ready for it all,'' Fitzgibbon said. "Every coach is under pressure, you just have to manage it as best you can.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...espite-links-to-top-jobs-20200629-p557cj.html