What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould's assessment is spot on!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
40-0 in last years GF!

It went pretty f*cken awesome.

so you think the model should be to spend 6 million dollars in year to win a premiership in a competion, then fold your players over 1 by one as your club explodes trying to recover from the salary cap load up.? Money that the Sharks don't have anyway.

Next.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Because you can actually see that on the players faces and how their going about their football.

The body language is terrible.

I heard Gallen interviewed very recently and even he seemed down.

I reckon Anderson walking out on them really hurt them.

Then to lose Ross and Kearney for the season was icing on the cake.

I'd say they look exhausted rather than down. The game has changed, it doesn't suit our "style" and we are struggling to keep up as far as I'm concerned.

When was the Gallen interview, 5 minutes after a game or some other forum?

If this team has such bad psychological scarring after 3 rounds then they don't have the so called mental toughness they are renowned for and they may as well be pushing up daisies already.

I think you're reading too much into it

Frenzy.

Immortal
The NYC have been going well this year.

Only got flogged last weekend.

They are 2 from 3.

Stapleton would not be out of place in First Grade.

Players like Orcher are miles away from First Grade.

If your only criteria is winning then I guess they have been but the reality is they got lucky against a very young Panthers side, fell over the line against a poor Knights side and folded like a concertina the first time they came up against a side that could stick it to them.

That side won't do anything the way they play which is like a bunch of stars instead of a star team. Most of their tries are from individual efforts. They have little cohesion and have a lot of good fortune.

They haven't impressed me and none of them are NRL worthy IMO.

Forget the bells and whistle and look at each kid's whole game. They throw bad passes, drop easy balls, miss tackles, make bad reads all at a greater rate than any of the blokes people want to replace.

Potential? - yes, undoubtedly

Ready? - no.

Inferno

Coach
Have to agree. I wouldn't mind giving a couple a shot at stages, but throwing them in now could do more harm than good.

Could do with Bukuya now though. I still find it hard to believe he couldn't crack into our top 25.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Frenz I would have said that Coote & graham were not ready last year either & perhaps they werent. They are ready now & look no different IMO

I'd say they look exhausted rather than down. The game has changed, it doesn't suit our "style" and we are struggling to keep up as far as I'm concerned.

When was the Gallen interview, 5 minutes after a game or some other forum?

If this team has such bad psychological scarring after 3 rounds then they don't have the so called mental toughness they are renowned for and they may as well be pushing up daisies already.

I think you're reading too much into it

I think it was on 2SM Talkin Sport last week.

He definately didn't sound he's usual cocky self.

I think he misses not having Bird in the team.

It's funny how losing one player like him can really change the atmosphere in the dressing room.

Maybe losing the volume of players we did last year has changed the dynamics of the team too much.

We probably did turn over too many and in very key positions.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Perhaps because for the second year running we have the worst attack in the competition?

It's round 3 FFS. Haven't had the same team on the park yet.

Why can't people get their heads around the importance of continuity? Dare I say it "gelling". Uniformity.

The team won't look good till we have the same team with minimal changes on the park for weeks on end.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I think it was on 2SM Talkin Sport last week.

He definately didn't sound he's usual cocky self.

I think he misses not having Bird in the team.

It's funny how losing one player like him can really change the atmosphere in the dressing room.

Maybe losing the volume of players we did last year has changed the dynamics of the team too much.

We probably did turn over too many and in very key positions.

See my previous post. No amount of off season work will make a bunch of strangers a team. It takes game time. The trials were used to give nuffies a game in the most part. Other than that, as I pointed out, we haven't had the same team on the field yet.

They'll come good

If your only criteria is winning then I guess they have been but the reality is they got lucky against a very young Panthers side, fell over the line against a poor Knights side and folded like a concertina the first time they came up against a side that could stick it to them.

That side won't do anything the way they play which is like a bunch of stars instead of a star team. Most of their tries are from individual efforts. They have little cohesion and have a lot of good fortune.

They haven't impressed me and none of them are NRL worthy IMO.

Forget the bells and whistle and look at each kid's whole game. They throw bad passes, drop easy balls, miss tackles, make bad reads all at a greater rate than any of the blokes people want to replace.

Potential? - yes, undoubtedly

Ready? - no.

Having seen them play two games this year I must admit your summation is pretty accurate.

Very disappointed in their mistake rate.

And from all reports that's what cost them big time against the Dragons.

But I think Stapleton, Wright and Mannah could cut it in First Grade at some stage this year.

Surely

Post Whore
I must have watched the wrong game on sunday because the side i watched was without its halfback, lost its 5/8 in the second half, played a pumped up dragons side at kogarah and went down 10-6.Thats a pretty good performance all things considered.

I must have watched the wrong game on sunday because the side i watched was without its halfback, lost its 5/8 in the second half, played a pumped up dragons side at kogarah and went down 10-6.Thats a pretty good performance all things considered.

Yes definately all valid points Surely.

But alot of people are getting tired of a dis jointed backline that definately lacks pace.

Time will tell if it can be sorted out this year.

Fuddy

Juniors
I thought we bought pretty well this year but two things are hurting us.
The 2 referees are quickening up the game and that really takes away from our graft and closing down teams - although we defended well against the Steelers on the weekend (they have a few attacking problems too).
The other is our lack of pace in the backs - Covell didn't play well on the weekend but is regularly pretty darn good but he is slower than most so we need a whole lot of speed around him. The boys there at the moment put no fear into any opposing backline's defence - centres are terrible.

Vossy

Bench
why so bloody scared of blooding more then one young gun, would be better then what we currently have, im sure that other teams youngsters they have blooded, when playing in the lower divvy, seemed to have deficencies but exploded onto the seen, you will never know without trying...

Could do with Bukuya now though. I still find it hard to believe he couldn't crack into our top 25.

he is in our top 25, he is injured and out for a long bloody time though, which is a shame

Tommax25

Bench
f**k off Gould - no credibility. 1 f**king comment 'granted they have some injuries'. And the rest just poison. Try your f**king fullback (acknowledged as our no.1 attacking player). Losing our hard running attacking second rower in fraser (he was scoring some points and laying a few on towards the end of last year). Not having Seymore and losing Barrett during the game. To say nothing of Ross and Misi.

Ricky's a good coach and the club needs him. We are not a powerhouse team and will struggle to attrack big names - but Ricky's our best chance for doing that and finally winning a premiership. Does anyone seriously think there's a coach out there (except maybe Bennett) who's better?

Bennet "maybe" better is a bit insulting to man who is clealry a better coach. I would also take hasler, bellamy and henry over stuart.

Tommax25

Bench
The Manly model is simple. spend 2 salary caps in one year. Then find a way to release players in order to stay under the cap. A good way is to release fringe players with deflated payout figures. Who will check to see what a fringe first grade player is on.

What players did they release?

Eion

First Grade
Bennet "maybe" better is a bit insulting to man who is clealry a better coach. I would also take hasler, bellamy and henry over stuart.
None of whom are available. I concede I would take Bennett over sticky, but he's at least on par with the others and better than a lot more imo.

Tommax25

Bench
None of whom are available. I concede I would take Bennett over sticky, but he's at least on par with the others and better than a lot more imo.

The question I was responding to was:

"Does anyone seriously think there's a coach out there (except maybe Bennett) who's better?"

IMO the ones I mentioned are better, but obviously stuart is better than most. He has a premiership, made a few GF's, tied MP ect. But I dont like his style, the way he has recruited for you guys has been poor (ie: no backs and more backrowers when the clubs had probably the best backrow in the comp). Like I said, I would take the other I mentioned first but after that Stuart is the best IMO.

Latest posts