What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower in Fight

Inferno

Coach
Gower's fight nite bite
Jesus Christ, thats the best title they could come up with?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21209235-5001021,00.html

NRL star Craig Gower has again been embroiled in controversy, this time allegedly biting a man in a bar brawl.

The Penrith Panthers star was compared to infamous ear-biter Mike Tyson by security staff who witnessed the incident at Peppermint Lounge, Potts Point in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Gower, who was expected to regain the club captaincy he lost last year after a wild drinking binge at a charity golf tournament on the Sunshine Coast, allegedly fled the scene after coming to blows on the dancefloor with a male patron.

Witnesses said yesterday Gower and the man came to blows after the former Australian halfback allegedly "tried to kiss him, then bit him on the neck".
One witness claims Gower was "really drunk and all over the place, making a d . . .head of himself".

Bouncer Tarek Nassr said the unidentified man who was allegedly bitten had been dancing with a woman about 2.30am, when Gower joined the couple on the dancefloor.
"He kissed the guy first then bit him on the neck, so the guy punched him," Mr Nassr said yesterday.

Gower is understood to have suffered a bloodied lip as a result of the fight.
The alleged biting incident was the second altercation involving Gower and a group of his friends at the bar during the night.

Security staff had earlier separated Gower's party from four men after Mr Nassr claims "one of Gower's friends threw a punch".
"We gave them leeway to stay but 1½ hours later (Gower) was at it again," Mr Nassr told The Daily Telegraph.
"The guy showed me the bite mark on his neck, but didn't want to go to the police," the bouncer said. "To bite a person's neck, it's like he's Mike Tyson."

Panthers media manager Rob Weaver was unaware of the brawl claims when first contacted by the paper yesterday, but later offered comment on Gower's behalf.

"Craig has confirmed there was an incident on the dancefloor. He says another dancer was throwing punches. He and his friends left the club immediately," Mr Weaver said.
The club spokesman said no action would be taken against the star player until a formal complaint was received by the alleged victim or owners of the bar.

Gower is being reconsidered for the club's captaincy – a role he lost after he was accused of groping the daughter of league legend Wayne Pearce at a charity golf weekend during the 2005 off-season.

Penrith coach Matthew Elliot is expected to announce the skipper on March 2.

If true, other players from other clubs have been sacked for far less, I wonder what the response from the Panthers will be.

All could be a load of crap though, just have to wait and see I guess.

Charlie124

First Grade
Inferno said:
If true, other players from other clubs have been sacked for far less, I wonder what the response from the Panthers will be.

All could be a load of crap though, just have to wait and see I guess.

The way i read it, the Panthers wont make a response at all unless somebody makes an official complaint about it, then it would be investigated.

So id say nothing will happen.

bar room brawls are a bit like chinese whispers , one minute its just a bit of push and shove then the next it was tyson vs holyfield out there.

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Should stick to drinking in the west , doesn't seem to get into to much mischieve out there.
Get off the drink otherwise.

aids

Bench
he was probably just doing his pac-man impersonation.
it's just a big mis-understadning

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
i'm really starting to feel sorry for this bloke. Obviously he has MAJOR issues once on the piss, issues that have to be addressed immediatley before he tries to 'kiss or bite' the wrong man and finds himself in a lot more trouble than a fat lip. Yeah i know it is all 'alledged' but where there's smoke........again you have to ask what was he doing at that time of the morning so far from his own territory? Pick your act up Gower, or move on son!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
if we go back several months the parra boys were 'allegedly' playing up with grothe pounding walls and then it turned out the club said they behaved fine and were no issues.

of course given gowers track record.....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Wrong Eye said:
Should stick to drinking in the west , doesn't seem to get into to much mischieve out there.
Get off the drink otherwise.

seems to be the only logical answer if he wants to stay in the NRL

gunnamatta bay

Referee
NRL director Gordon Tallis will not tolerate anyone bringing the game into disrepute.

Gordie Quote: "Anyone who gets pissed in a bar and assaults someone has no place in our game".

Ziggy the God

First Grade
We should hear his side of the story before he is 'hanged', but:

Considering what has happened to him previously, you would think that he would step it back a little. No one is saying don't go out and have a good time, but by getting himself trashed like that only puts himself in danger of something like that happening.

Also, he must have some great mates that let him hang around there when he got into that kind of state. If they had a modicum of intelligence, they should have had one of them taking it easy, and making the call when it was time to go home.

What is disappointing is that it always seems to occur just as we are going to kickoff a new season. Well done.

Latest posts