What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower in Fight

It's standard fare.

An alleged bite on a male v an alleged assault of a woman and which story is the lead?

If a League player farted and an AFL played went Hoddle St, the League story would be the lead.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
If a League player farted and an AFL played went Hoddle St, the League story would be the lead.

without a doubt. i'm surprised Sky News don't have a Gower poll on their site

they had one about Gower last year

pollxa9.jpg

Notell

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
It's standard fare.

An alleged bite on a male v an alleged assault of a woman and which story is the lead?

Seems ridiculous and against the normal policy of the media to hide such stories though, as scandals involving high profile sportsmen lead to greater sales and exposure, equalling greater advertising revenue.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Notell said:
Seems ridiculous and against the normal policy of the media to hide such stories though, as scandals involving high profile sportsmen lead to greater sales and exposure, equalling greater advertising revenue.

it actually seems like normal policy for an incident involving AFL players

i'd be very surprised if the panel on The Back Page don't discuss the alleged Gower incident. i'd also be very surprised if they even mentioned the alleged bashings by two AFL players.

Notell said:

AFL stories tend to be reported on once then forgotten. League stories can keep their legs for ages.

I dunno if its a conspiracy, I think its more to do with the AFL scribes acknowledging, by their threadbare journalistic integrity, that they know where their bread is buttered and will be the good little sycophants that the AFL loves.

Notell

Juniors
El Diablo said:
it actually seems like normal policy for an incident involving AFL players

i'd be very surprised if the panel on The Back Page don't discuss the alleged Gower incident. i'd also be very surprised if they even mentioned the alleged bashings by two AFL players.

Yep Gibbo'd want to have Gower's story there. He has no time for these drunken louts. But surely the media if wanting to sell more papers, and TV news promoting the upcoming edition, would want to make a big deal of two AFL players bashing a woman. Exactly the type of thing the public lap up.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Notell said:
Yep Gibbo'd want to have Gower's story there. He has no time for these drunken louts. But surely the media if wanting to sell more papers, and TV news promoting the upcoming edition, would want to make a big deal of two AFL players bashing a woman. Exactly the type of thing the public lap up.

I watched 7's news at 10:30am. Gower got a mention and the AFL players didn't.

7 have a history of this though. They even have Ben Cousins as an ambassador. Can you imagine them using Gower??

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2006/12/04/1165080878675.html

Channel Seven will continue to use Cousins as an ambassador and a weekly guest on Perth news bulletins.

bulldog

Bench
Notell said:
But surely the media if wanting to sell more papers, and TV news promoting the upcoming edition, would want to make a big deal of two AFL players bashing a woman. Exactly the type of thing the public lap up.

You'd think so wouldn't you, if you haven't already done so, take a look at the Culture to despise resource thread http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=131608 . 70+ pages of incidents all reported without the typical NRL style hysteria, lot's of repeat offenders and some truly despicable behaviour.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
ocko said:
If anything, that article backs up El D's claims.
The picture accompanying the story and the first half of the article are all about Gower. The AFL players accused of assaulting a woman takes second billing.
Many people only read the first half of news articles... it looks like the AFL allegations have been buried under the League allegation.

The Dodger

First Grade
anyone here live in melbourne?
just a thought,

could it be that ARL get scrutinised more in sydney papers and AFL get scrutinised more in melbourne papers?

bulldog

Bench
DPG said:
just a thought,

could it be that ARL get scrutinised more in sydney papers and AFL get scrutinised more in melbourne papers?

It's a softly softly approach from all the states media on AFL, I have heard that journos fear speaking out against the AFL, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. What we do know is that the AFL have a "favourable coverage" deal with certain media outlets, with most of them for all we know (the details aren't something they would willingly make public anyway).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
DPG said:
just a thought,

How does that work with the mainstream internet publications?
Ninemsn, Foxsports etc.

Compare the coverage the AFL and League allegations got in the Melbourne Age website:
www.theage.com.au
12/2/2007

And then compare the coverage the AFL and League allegations got in the Sydney Morning Herald website:
www.smh.com.au
12/2/2007

The Gower story gets a lot more editorial in both the Melbourne and Sydney online broadsheet publications.

In the wider news outlets...

Google News (up until a few minutes ago):
Search: Lance Whitnall Heath Scotland - 2 results (Age and SMH).
http://news.google.com.au/news?hl=en&q=Lance%20Whitnall%20Heath%20Scotland%20&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

Search: Craig Gower - Dozens. Too many to bother counting.
http://news.google.com.au/news?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wn&q=Craig+Gower

Of course its not a conspiracy, but its more than a happy coincidence. Controversy in League seems to sell better than controversy in AFL.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
BTW, I note the Age and SMH were both quite keen to get in the words 'biting' and 'kissing' into the headlines.

Meanwhile, the more sober ABC website has this:

Panthers deny Gower biting claim

The Penrith Panthers have denied claims star half-back Craig Gower bit a man during an alleged bar brawl yesterday morning.
A newspaper report alleges the incident took place at a bar at Potts Point in Sydney in the early hours of Sunday.
Police say they have received no complaint and Panthers spokesman Rob Weaver says neither has the club.
He believes the allegations are baseless.
"I think there's always a danger that anybody who's high profile, no matter what they do whether they be sports people or celebrities, there's always a danger everywhere they go," he said.
"But in this specific incident all I can say is I've spoken to the player and his explanation does not support the allegations that were made."
Gower, who has represented New South Wales and Australia, lost the Penrith captaincy after he was accused of groping the daughter of league legend Wayne Pearce at a charity golf tournament during the 2005 off-season.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200702/s1845417.htm

Presumably those were ready to lay the boot into Gower this morning are just as easily swayed by the less provacative headlines?

Phoenix 36

Juniors
Nothing will happen, Gower is their best player. And what's the go with people saying he shouldn't go out, he should know better. He's no different to every one else. Why shouldn't he be allowed out and hit the turps have a dance and a dust up with another bloke. The other guy hit back story over . Sounds like a pretty normal part of an Aussie life
?????

Latest posts