What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower in Fight

*Sandy*

First Grade
Dave Q said:
I dont think Gunna is so much pro-media as he is questioning Leary and the decision of the club to come into the fray very, very early and in the absence of a complete understanding of the issues.

I'm not suggesting that either. To me it feels like Gunna has twisted a few comments from a few previous postes in this topic or is ignoring the fact a report needed to be lodged with the NRL by Penrith whether an investigation has taken place or not.

The pending result of the police investigation will tell us all if Penrith Management has acted hastily. In the meantime, we have to wait before hanging.

Some quotes from Mick Leary, which I believe are being ignored.

As far as I am concerned, that is the end of the matter," Leary said last night. "Of course, I still have to keep an open mind in case something else comes up but I am quite confident that won't be the case."

"I have recommended to the Penrith board that no action should be taken against Craig Gower and I think the NRL will be happy with that decision after they see my report," he said. "I will get it to them sometime tomorrow and if they are satisfied, then it will be a matter for the police."

As you can see it is all still pending the police report. Mick Leary has done what he had to do and now it's the police's hands.

C.P

Juniors
Its quite amusing seeing Bourbon Beccie Wilson saying somebody needs help for alcohol abuse :lol: :lol: pot kettle and all that.
Its amusing that she has chosen this weekend to pen a article full of inaccuracies and assumptions dumping on the NRL while her own precious AFL is the centre of a players betting scandal and following a week in which 6 players were fined for alcohol fuelled behaviour.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Man that article by wilson is full of so much utter garbage. And I'm not particularly talking about what she believes did or did not happen but the whole baised slant she's put on certain circumstances and comments that people have made throughout the week.

Dave Q

Coach
PK said:
[/color]

I'm not suggesting that either. To me it feels like Gunna has twisted a few comments from a few previous postes in this topic or is ignoring the fact a report needed to be lodged with the NRL by Penrith whether an investigation has taken place or not.

The pending result of the police investigation will tell us all if Penrith Management has acted hastily. In the meantime, we have to wait before hanging.

Some quotes from Mick Leary, which I believe are being ignored.

As you can see it is all still pending the police report. Mick Leary has done what he had to do and now it's the police's hands.

Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder PK.

As quoted:

"As far as I am concerned this is the end of the matter."

and then..

"...in case something else comes up..."

This are contradictory statements are they not?

Then this classic:

"...If they are satisfied (the NRL)...then it will be a matter for the Police.."

No Mr Leary, its a matter for the Police any time of day the Police think it is. I think you know that too Mr Leary, or at least you should know.

But to add some balance:-

Willow, my recollection is that the Saints did have an embarrassing splutter or two before they determined to zip it!

I dont resile from my Wesism's. Offence or no offence, he was a marked man.

Despite the Panthers ambitions, it seems like Gowie has joined that elite group.

It may just be a matter of time before he is driven out of the game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dave Q said:
Willow, my recollection is that the Saints did have an embarrassing splutter or two before they determined to zip it!
I don't recall anything official along those lines from the club. Perhaps you can google us a source.

Dave Q said:
I dont resile from my Wesism's. Offence or no offence, he was a marked man.

Despite the Panthers ambitions, it seems like Gowie has joined that elite group.

It may just be a matter of time before he is driven out of the game.
It happens.

I speculated once that if the gossip columns feel they have an angle, then it becomes open season. Its not a conspiracy, they just tend to get into a groove. But they first need an angle. With Wes, it was the Australian Idol girlfriend connection... as silly as that sounds. What better angle than to have bad dude law-breaking football player boyfriend. Becky lapped it up.

IMO, it got out of hand last week when the tabloid where publishing 'news' that Wes was seen 'catching a train' and heaven forbid, 'drinking in a pub with his mates!!!' Let's hang him now. Years ago, media wouldn't have bothered.

With Gower, the angle is no less silly. Alcohol fuelled romps is always sure to get a headline. Unfortunately the kid has history of enjoying the amber liquid just a little too much. The speculation over the seriousness of his behaviour varies depending on whoever is doing the judging. However, I challenge anyone who thinks they have never embarrassed themselves or been out of line.

The only glaring difference between us and blokes like Wes and Gower is that they are in the media spotlight, and should be aware of that reality. Perhaps the real debate is whether or not a player's off-field antics is relevant to what they are paid to do.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartimes/3966029a6444.html

LEAGUE: Raging Bull charges into antics of AFL stars
By Steve Kilgallon - Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 18 February 2007
As rugby league again faces another complaint about a high- profile player in a licensed establishment, with Penrith poring over CCTV footage of Craig Gower's Sydney night out and police considering an assault allegation, Gorden Tallis must know how Gower feels.
Even in retirement, Tallis couldn't escape the public eye when he apologised to a Brisbane barman after a disagreement last year, although a police complaint against the former Australian test forward was withdrawn.
It was suggested then that Tallis - possibly the best backrower of his generation, who retired two seasons ago - would lose his place on the board of the NRL.
Tallis, a fearsome footballer with Brisbane, Queensland and the Kangaroos, says he wasn't surprised when that sanction wasn't imposed, noting darkly: "Because they know the truth. The people that matter know the truth."
Then he expands: "The things you used to do in pubs, clubs and schools - you just don't get away with any more ... the world is changing so much and the media is a big part of it.
"No one wants to read that a bloke is a good guy, that he puts in at training and does everything for the game. They just don't want to read it."
Tallis was among former stars who spoke at this year's NRL Rookie Camp, an innovation now into its third year which attempts to ready young league players for the world of professional sport and prevent them claiming those negative headlines.
"To their credit, they (the speakers, who include Laurie Daley and Brad Clyde) say `I made this mistake, I made that mistake'. We spill our guts. It's not a sponsor or some old bloke telling them, it's often their childhood heroes saying `these are the mistakes I made ... just don't do them yourself'."
Tallis considers Australian Rules players to be much worse-behaved than league players, and that this generation of NRL footballers are the best-behaved in league history.
"The AFL are worse than us - they have rape allegations, drug allegations, fights in Ireland playing for their country (Carlton's Brendan Fevola was sent home from an international rules game in Dublin last year), fights in grand final week where they bashed a bloke."
Tallis says 99% of league players are "great representatives" and most reported incidents - such as his own - never result in charges.
"You don't have your private life anymore. That's the price you pay. When you sign your contract, you realise you are in the public eye."
Tallis remains in the public consciousness. He was in Auckland last week to promote the Community Carnival grassroots programme and to chat up Warriors sponsors at a corporate function. Clad in a Richie Benaud style cream suit, Tallis says he has coped with the transition from training ground to sponsors' gibberfest. "It's just life, isn't it," he says. "If I didn't like it, I wouldn't do it. I'm not afraid to say if I don't want to do anything."
He must like it: land agent, Foxtel commentator, newspaper columnist, radio caller, Telstra and Harvey Norman rep, NRL "ambassador" and board member. It contributes to a very different look to when he was on the field, screaming at referees, ripping into defences, glowering at opponents.
"Football was a release," says the Raging Bull. "I was there to have fun and enjoy myself. You might have seen me blow up, but I was enjoying myself."
There is at least one thing which stays true to the old image. Would he have a beer with his former foe, referee Bill Harrigan? "I'd have a chat," says Tallis. "But I wouldn't invite him round for a barbecue."

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Makes you wonder how Gowie would fare if he was a Bronco. Wayne sacked Costigan for drink driving and Brett Seymour for some incident in a pub which was investigated but no charges laid.

Dave Q

Coach
Yes Willow, my I could not locate the evidence for my beleif, on that basis, I stand corrected and retract that statement.

The Saints managed it well.

Now Leary was on the wireless today on Andrew Moores sportzone.

He said words to the effect of

"No I wont be saying anything about Gower...or Pritchard.. in case I interfere with the cases"[/B]

That about ends that debate in favour of the shut-ter-up-it-ters.

Seems like our friends at Penrith have been tuning in here or taking their legal advice after all.

He noted that he expected the recent events to "Galvanise" the Panthers.

Few clubs have had such an awkward start to the season in recent times.

Losing Peanuts Pritchard was a bit tough on them.

It could be argued that rarely did he perform at immaculate levels in the domestic game, so his loss is not so much a transaction of subtraction but is more in the character of lost opportunity.

League throws up yet another troublesome hypothetical.

Latest posts