What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower to be charged with assault

skeepe

Immortal
Police set to charge Gower

Jamie Pandaram | March 23, 2007

PENRITH co-captain Craig Gower will be charged with assault in relation to a nightclub fight in February, as the Panthers face their first home game of the season tonight against the Bulldogs.

While it's alleged that associates of Gower also took part in the fight with another group of men at the Peppermint Lounge nightspot in Potts Point during the early hours of February 11, the Herald can reveal the NRL star will be the only person charged over the incident.

Police investigating the matter have been hampered by un-cooperative witnesses, while the lead detective has also been caught up in another case, which is why it has taken more than two months for the investigation to be completed.

A 19-year-old Marrickville man, Bshar Hassen, made a complaint to police after he was allegedly crash-tackled by Gower, 28, after refusing to sip a drink offered to him by the former Test player.

Kings Cross police expect to issue Gower with a court attendance notice in the coming days, which means he will become the second Penrith player facing criminal charges. Frank Pritchard has been charged with affray in relation to a street brawl in Liverpool last month, and is due to face court on April 19.

Another league player, Anthony Laffranchi of the Gold Coast Titans, will front court on Tuesday charged with sexual assault, and the latest news about Gower adds to the NRL's frustration in having to manage off-field controversies.

The key piece of evidence police will use to prosecute Gower - should he contest the charge - is the nightclub's security camera footage, which clearly shows the incident. This is despite Penrith officials also viewing the footage days after the fight and claiming their star player had nothing to worry about. "A complaint was made and there is corroborative evidence to support it," a police source close to the investigation said. "As they say, a picture tells a thousand words. He is looking at an assault charge."

It is understood Penrith chief executive Michael Leary has been informed of the impending charge by police. After reviewing the footage and talking to witnesses and Gower, Leary recommended the club take no further action against the controversial halfback days after police had launched their investigation. At the time, Leary said: "I have recommended to the Penrith board that no action should be taken against Craig Gower and I think the NRL will be happy with that decision after they see my report.
"We are always up front and transparent about these things and if one of our players is accused of something, we will investigate it. We have done that and in this case, we have found no evidence of wrongdoing."

Witnesses at the Peppermint Lounge that night spoke of Gower's intoxicated behaviour, which included his involvement in a second fight after he allegedly did a striptease-style dance in front of a woman and then apparently bit her boyfriend's neck. The man punched Gower repeatedly and gave him a bloody lip. No police complaint was made about the second fight.

The Panthers refused to strip Gower of the captaincy, even though that was part of his punishment last year after he was involved in another pre-season drunken incident at a golf course. He was announced as one of three co-captains for this year, joining back-rower Tony Puletua and hooker Luke Priddis.

Gower, who guided the club to the premiership in 2003, had an unhappy opening-round match last week, failing to spark the Penrith attack as they were defeated 18-0 by Cronulla.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/gower-facing-assault-charge/2007/03/22/1174153255058.html

The Tank said:
If he's charged surely Penrith will sack him ???

I doubt it ,

the panthers have already come out through mick leary( a fromer policeman ) and said Gower did nothing wrong and recommended as much to the NRL.

I seriously doubt they could then come out and sack him , to start with they would be very open to being sued by gower after officialy recommending he did nothing wrong.

lets face it anyway , even though gower has been in trouble before he hasnt been in legal trouble. A 'Crash tackle' is hardly going to see him in any serious legal trouble.

Mr Saab

Referee
Matt Elliott was on 2KY this morning and said he had seen the footage and reported that gower picked the guy off the ground "18cm" and put him down...like a bear hug.
IF thats the case, not the crime of the decade...let alone day.

badav

Bench
herbert henry1908 said:
I doubt it ,

the panthers have already come out through mick leary( a fromer policeman ) and said Gower did nothing wrong and recommended as much to the NRL.

I seriously doubt they could then come out and sack him , to start with they would be very open to being sued by gower after officialy recommending he did nothing wrong.

lets face it anyway , even though gower has been in trouble before he hasnt been in legal trouble. A 'Crash tackle' is hardly going to see him in any serious legal trouble.

You cant just go and tackle anybody off the street and pass it off as nothing just beause your drunk and stupid.
Its sounds like the club is trying their hardest to give him special treatement because of who he is.

skeepe

Immortal
panthersballboy said:
From the sounds of it it was hardly a tackle. Just makes the victim look like a whinger.

It was enough for the police to believe he should be charged with assault. Typical mentality though, blame the victim and not the dropkick on your team.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Just makes Gower look like a Wanker.

Seriously mate, his 28 years old, captain of your club, and obviously has problems with alcohol. I can tell you i wouldn't want him embodying my clubs public image.

Penrith- "Where the captain will tackle you or grope your daughter, and there backrow will come at you with tyre irons"

perverse

Referee
i haven't seen the "crash tackle".. but if it was as placid as reports are suggesting.. then i'd say it's pretty unaustralian to refuse a free drink from a footy player and then charge him with assault for a bit of a tackle. poor form.

panthersballboy

Juniors
GC_Gladiator said:
Just makes Gower look like a Wanker.

Seriously mate, his 28 years old, captain of your club, and obviously has problems with alcohol. I can tell you i wouldn't want him embodying my clubs public image.

Penrith- "Where the captain will tackle you or grope your daughter, and there backrow will come at you with tyre irons"

Mate GC fans shouldn't be giving it to other clubs when one of your players is up for a much more serious charge and if convicted will see out his contract behind the wire.

The bloke Gower lifted up and put down will probably come to court in a neck brace and on crutches saying he hasn't been able to get it up since as he is mentally scarred from the incident.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
I doubt it ,

Michael Leary is the guy who publicly stated Gower was in the clear before the police investigation was complete. What a dickhead.

Panther

Juniors
Posted by Rob on PI

I have just spoken to Police Media who read me a 'Holding Statement' from their Media Manager, Tim Archer, made on the authority of the Kings Cross police.

It says they are not making any comment other than that Kings Cross police are continuing their investigation and are not in a position to make any "predictions about the outcome".

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Why shouldn't GC fans be giving it to other clubs? I'm not the one whose been accused of sexually assaulting someone. I haven't been tackling people in Gold Coast night clubs.

To be honest, if guilty, la franci should be thrown from the club and his contract ripped up. Just like what should've happened to Naiquama, and like what happened to Latu. The thing with what Gower has done, is that we have actual footage of him doing it, we know its been done. Set a stance, take away there lively hoods and maybe they'll get it through there thick skulls that there not bigger than the community they live in.

gunnamatta bay said:
Michael Leary is the guy who publicly stated Gower was in the clear before the police investigation was complete. What a dickhead.

that was my point ,

I was saying that they wont dump him because they have said he did nothing wrong.

skeepe

Immortal
herbert henry1908 said:
that was my point ,

I was saying that they wont dump him because they have said he did nothing wrong.

On the contrary, I think it reflects extremely poorly on Leary for having cleared him before the police investigation was concluded.

Latest posts