What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower to be charged with assault

El Diablo

Post Whore
skeepe said:
Firstly, what do Bulldogs fans have to apologise for? None of their players have been charged by police that I can think of.

Gower hasn't been either

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I appreciate that you think we shouldn't dump our players but rehabilitate them. But seriously, you think Gower gives a crap either way.
He lost the captaincy, was fined $30,000, yet still continues to carry on like a nob in public.

And about the not throwing stones comment. As i said, i feel that the Gold Coast have handled there troubles fine. They aren't going to fire La Franci until his found guilty, and thats only fair. Its a terrible crime his accused of doing, but he has a clean record and there is nothing to suggest he did anything in the first place. If his found guilty, i not only hope his placed in gaol but i also hope he never has an oppurtunity in league again.

As for Gower, a past offender with video evidence of him acting like a complete nob on the piss. Elliot saw the video and is talking it down, but how many small instances of insanity must there be before Gower cleans up his act a little bit.

Last point, what about Naiquama. Does anyone really think having a convicted felon playing in the league is good for the game?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
GC_Gladiator said:
Just makes Gower look like a Wanker.

Seriously mate, his 28 years old, captain of your club, and obviously has problems with alcohol. I can tell you i wouldn't want him embodying my clubs public image.

Penrith- "Where the captain will tackle you or grope your daughter, and there backrow will come at you with tyre irons"

:lol: :lol: dont forget the captain also does strip shows!!

C.P

Juniors
Gowers been in trouble in the past for things which is fair enough and I dont excuse off field indiscretions where warranted but charged with assault for CRASH TACKLING a bloke :roll: pffffffft
If this is the case maybe the coppers need to tell the 'victim' to toughen up and stop tieing up both police time and court time with half assed complaints......Im sure police time could be better used elsewhere

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Yeah, the other bloke should have got up and started an all in with Gower... hell, pritchard would have done it.

Sensible people have sensible ways of dealing with violence. Thats what the police are for.

GC_Gladiator said:
Sensible people have sensible ways of dealing with violence. Thats what the police are for.

sensible people go and report an incident immediatley. the pepermint lounge is only a couple of hundred meters from a 24 hour police station. If it was such a big deal to this bloke why didnt he go straight to the cop shop?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
sensible people go and report an incident immediatley. the pepermint lounge is only a couple of hundred meters from a 24 hour police station. If it was such a big deal to this bloke why didnt he go straight to the cop shop?

Wasn't there a suggestion he went to the station and they gave him the brush?

Caged Panther

First Grade
Actually I believe he went to the police learned gower was apparently in another incident and decided to let it go because of that. But then came back a few days later with the complaint after a bit of media hysteria.

Caged Panther said:
Actually I believe he went to the police learned gower was apparently in another incident and decided to let it go because of that. But then came back a few days later with the complaint after a bit of media hysteria.

I dont understand , so the guy went to the police station and decided not to file a complaint due to the fact he felt bad for gower b/c he was in another incident?

nqboy

First Grade
herbert henry1908 said:
No, people who are upset and think the police can wave a magic wand and fix their problem go and report an incident immediately. And generally, if they have been consuming alcohol, they are told to go home and sleep on it, and if they are still keen to report it then go to the doctor to have their injuries documented and then come to the station to report it. At least, that's how it happens up here.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
nqboy said:
No, people who are upset and think the police can wave a magic wand and fix their problem go and report an incident immediately. And generally, if they have been consuming alcohol, they are told to go home and sleep on it, and if they are still keen to report it then go to the doctor to have their injuries documented and then come to the station to report it. At least, that's how it happens up here.

Pretty accurate summation nq. It saves a lot of paperwork. The 'victim' can go to his local cop shop and they flick pass it to the mob within who's patch the incident occurred.

Notell

Juniors
Booze just brings out the real person. Booze is not the problem, the person is the problem. In rugby league for example, apoor defender is put out wide early in the tackle count. Keeing him away from having to make tackles does not make him a better defender, it just hides the problem. Just as keeping Gower off the booze may mean his problems are not highlighted, it does not make him a better person. He is neither likeable nor good enough to be excused. As$holes like him aren't needed or wanted in any way, shape or form. Punt him, and good riddance.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
herbert henry1908 said:
what gower did up on the gold coast in late 2005 was disgraceful and he paid a pretty high price for it IMO. Clearly gower likes a beer and acts like an idiot when he gets drunk , i would prefer to see him work through this issue rather than being dumped which i dont really think helps anyone.

Are you serious? He retained employment by being allowed to remain in the team, he paid a minor fine in relation to his overall income, and has now regained captaincy. Let's just paint the picture for the "Average Joe". You attend a charity golf tournament on your employer's behalf representing the "company". You embarrass yourself on the grog, sexually assault a minor and threaten another one with a knife. Now would you front up Monday morning for work expecting a stern talking to and a paycut? Of course not, you'd expect to have your employment suddenly terminated, some pretty serious criminal charges laid against you, and your wife to have packed her belongings and left without looking back.

Paid a pretty high price? Right. This clown has had too many chances. The police would not charge him with assault if there wasn't sufficient evidence, and from the sounds of things, this was more than a bear hug. I expect charges to be laid, and if Penrith do anything other than sack him immediately, they will forever forego any credibility as a serious and community minded organisation.

Frank_Grimes said:
Are you serious? He retained employment by being allowed to remain in the team

He made a massive mistake , he shouldnt have had to pay with his career for this.
he paid a minor fine in relation to his overall income

He paid a fine that would equal over 10% of his net income , if that isnt a big fine i dont know what is.

also $30k is one if the biggest fines in the history of Australian sport.

and has now regained captaincy. Let's just paint the picture for the "Average Joe". You attend a charity golf tournament on your employer's behalf representing the "company". You embarrass yourself on the grog, sexually assault a minor and threaten another one with a knife. Now would you front up Monday morning for work expecting a stern talking to and a paycut? Of course not, you'd expect to have your employment suddenly terminated, some pretty serious criminal charges laid against you, and your wife to have packed her belongings and left without looking back.

so the panthers cut him and another club would pick him up in a second. this doesnt benefit anyone. We all know if the panthers had sacked gower he would have left for europe and earnt more money than he is now. Im sure that would have taught him a real lesson.

Paid a pretty high price? Right. This clown has had too many chances. The police would not charge him with assault if there wasn't sufficient evidence

He hasnt been charged yet.

, and from the sounds of things, this was more than a bear hug.

from the sounds of what? are you privy to some info we arent ? have you seen the video? people can be charged with assault for simply pushing someone.

I expect charges to be laid, and if Penrith do anything other than sack him immediately, they will forever forego any credibility as a serious and community minded organisation.

Have you ever heard of a little premise of innocent till proven Guilty? FFS he hasnt even been charged yet and your calling for him to be sacked immediatley upon being charged!? thats a joke and you know it.

arent Rugby League players entitled to a presumption of innoncence? should they not be part of our legal system?

Not to mention Sacking him would be Prejudicial Towards his case and any appeal

seriously people need to take a deep breath and stop making wild assumptions and accusations.

ozbash

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
Michael Leary is the guy who publicly stated Gower was in the clear before the police investigation was complete. What a dickhead.

dead right, this says a lot for the integrity of the Panthers management, ie, they have none.

they tried the snow job and now its blown back in their faces. They should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute along with their sad captain..

ozbash

Referee
seriously people need to take a deep breath and stop making wild assumptions and accusations.

bullsh*t, it was the panthers making the crap claims when this first came to light "we know better than the police"

ozbash said:

bullsh*t, it was the panthers making the crap claims when this first came to light "we know better than the police"

and as ive already stated in this thread any comments by penrith after he was being investigated by police were wrong too.

I think you will find though quite a bit of it was said before the accusations had been made.

Dogs Of War

Coach
They should have locked him up before the game last night, then he wouldn't have been able to reek havok again out penrith way. Bloody cops:fist: :fist:

My god...how many more times do we have to see this fool's mug in the press...the guy obviously has some problems and gives his club a bad name.

Latest posts