What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower to be charged with assault

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Herbert henry1908 said:
that was my point ,

I was saying that they wont dump him because they have said he did nothing wrong.

My point is this guy should have known better. The fact he is a former cop makes him look even stupider.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Why leave it in the hands of the clubs anyway? There will always be double standards when clubs are judging players with greater ability, like Gower has. It should be the NRL's job to look at the players, and evaluate whether they deserve punishment for there actions. After all, it doesn't just reflect poorly on the clubs, but more so the whole league.

GC_Gladiator said:
Why leave it in the hands of the clubs anyway? There will always be double standards when clubs are judging players with greater ability, like Gower has. It should be the NRL's job to look at the players, and evaluate whether they deserve punishment for there actions. After all, it doesn't just reflect poorly on the clubs, but more so the whole league.

you mean leave it in the hands of the NEWS limited owned NRL?

they own 3 clubs , something tells me there is a conflict of interest there.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Maybe poor old Groping gowie should stick to 2 vodka cruisers when he "hits the piss"... maybe that way he won't go around *allegedly* assaulting/trying to kiss random blokes

gunnamatta bay

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
you mean leave it in the hands of the NEWS limited owned NRL?

they own 3 clubs , something tells me there is a conflict of interest there.

But no 'conflict of interest' on behalf of the Penrith club's handling of Gower's behaviour in the past aye?

gunnamatta bay said:
But no 'conflict of interest' on behalf of the Penrith club's handling of Gower's behaviour in the past aye?

Penrith are his employers , and as such should be the only one who has any power over sacking gower.

Penrith's pat handling over gower has been above reproach , ffs they fined the guy 30K and sacked him as captain.

GC_Gladiator said:
As opposed to the conflict the panthers face? I trust the NRL to be unbiased more than i do the clubs management.

so lets throw out any rights the players have as employees just so the NRL can make a knee jerk reaction to save the image of the code.

players are employees , you cant just play with their lives like its a game.

Only employers should have the right to sack an employee.

what floors me with this bloke......is he is married to a stunningly beautiful ex cheerleader and he is groping other women and offering blokes drinks and trying to kiss them on the neck.......what is wrong with this picture

Hutty1986

Immortal
hillbillyjazzer1954 said:
what floors me with this bloke......is he is married to a stunningly beautiful ex cheerleader and he is groping other women and offering blokes drinks and trying to kiss them on the neck.......what is wrong with this picture

Well said

You'd have to be a f*ckin idiot

gunnamatta bay

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
Penrith are his employers , and as such should be the only one who has any power over sacking gower.

Penrith's pat handling over gower has been above reproach , ffs they fined the guy 30K and sacked him as captain.

How can you say their handling is 'above reproach' when one of their officials is running round claiming he is in the clear, that he did nothing wrong and will not be charged when the police have not completed their investigation? This is a clear example of a 'conflict of interest' don't you think?

BTW aren't players expected to abide by a code of conduct set down by the NRL? If a player brings the game into disrepute continually shouldn't the NRL have a right to say if he is a fit and proper person to be a member of their organisation?

woodgers

Bench
hillbillyjazzer1954 said:

That was going to be my point. The real crime here is why the hell he wasn't at home with her.

Sounds to me like the alledged victim knows who he is and the dollar signs got rolling in his eyes. The report sounds like he didn't really do anything wrong at all. Next profile sportspeople will be getting charged for looking the wrong way.

kooriguy

Juniors
st george fans, gold coast fans and bulldogs fans should not throw stones when they live in a glass houses.. that being said i dont think gower is a criminal, just a guy that takes the joke to far and would root anything that moves when on the piss.. alot like me really :)

Hutty1986

Immortal
kooriguy said:
st george fans, gold coast fans and bulldogs fans should not throw stones when they live in a glass houses.. that being said i dont think gower is a criminal, just a guy that takes the joke to far and would root anything that moves when on the piss.. alot like me really :)

:lol: God bless you sir

skeepe

Immortal
kooriguy said:

Firstly, what do Bulldogs fans have to apologise for? None of their players have been charged by police that I can think of.

Secondly, the second part you mention IS the problem. He obviously has problems with the drink, and as such should stay off it, or at least limit his consumption. Sure maybe that's a bit rough, but he chose to live life in the public eye, and he has to face up to the fact that what he does reflects badly not only on him, but on his team and rugby league in general.

kooriguy

Juniors
i mentioned these teams for two reasons

1. the media has grilled them on how they handled their controversies whether they were found guilty or not.
2. they have players with checkered histories aswell

just seems very hipocritical to me for them to defend there own guys and grill guys at other clubs.

skeepe

Immortal
kooriguy said:
i mentioned these teams for two reasons

1. the media has grilled them on how they handled their controversies whether they were found guilty or not.
2. they have players with checkered histories aswell

just seems very hipocritical to me for them to defend there own guys and grill guys at other clubs.

Once again, please tell me who you're talking about in reference to the Bulldogs. I'm interested only because it means I missed what sounds like a big story, and you seem to know a lot about it.

gunnamatta bay said:
How can you say their handling is 'above reproach' when one of their officials is running round claiming he is in the clear, that he did nothing wrong and will not be charged when the police have not completed their investigation? This is a clear example of a 'conflict of interest' don't you think?

true , i will make a correction , i was reffering to Penrith's past handling of gower.

i dont remember the exact timeline of events but the police didnt get invloved straight away , so where mick leary's comments fit in to the whole thing im not sure. If it was after the police had begun investigating i agree it was wrong.

what gower did up on the gold coast in late 2005 was disgraceful and he paid a pretty high price for it IMO. Clearly gower likes a beer and acts like an idiot when he gets drunk , i would prefer to see him work through this issue rather than being dumped which i dont really think helps anyone.

smeghead

Bench
Agree to an extent there herbert but how many chances would your average joe get for carrying on like a knob like Gower has done while on the piss or even lower profile players?

Maybe he needed something in his contract about alcohol consumption levels

Latest posts