What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grand final entertainment

bobmar28

Bench
I didn't think much of the pre-game entertainment today, I have to say. I watched it, obviously, for the footy, so it didn't matter that much ... however on our biggest stage nationally (live throughout the country I believe - no other League event gets that), all we had to bring in the casual viewers (or their teenage girls?!) was a miming Jessica Mauboy (sp?) singing something like 'Go get 'em girls' (wtf?!), some american-wannabe group doing whatever it was they were doing, before You Am I (which I'll admit I was already out of the room by this time) came out and did 1960's or 70's rock. Relevence to actual League lovers? Minimal at best. When I came back into the room they were singing 'Start Me Up' while Ch9 showed clips of the footy from 2010. I didn't mind this bit.

What do the NRL need to do? How about demographic research? I understand the NRL wants to attract the females to watch, so they're targetting them as well as the younger audience, but I don't think you should do so at the expense of boring the rest of us.
You want a band/singer that's going to get the crowd pumping. Get them cheering and singing just before the teams run out. The atmosphere will feel great at the stadium, and it sounds and looks great on tv, which in turn will look good for the NRL. I've been to GF's where the pre-game show was pretty much aimed at the teeny-bopper girls, and from where I sat, it didn't seem to appeal to the 85,000+ crowds, who clapped politely as they finished. No-one really cared.

I know this would never happen, but how good would it be if the NRL could get AC/DC for the pre-match entertainment?! Okay, I'm dreaming here..!

The new IC should straight out ask them if they would be willing to lower their usual fee to help out. They are from Sydney after all.

bobmar28

Bench
What I don't understand is that the NRL have 3 months to organise something half decent and they come up with absolute rubbish. The AFL have 7 days..and somehow get Lionel Richie who was pretty damn good. Why not go after a bigger name, and think outside Australia! Luckily I knew it was going to be bad so I switched it off after Mauboy!

Booooring!!!

Bulldog Force

Referee
I thought it was alright given the conditions. Jessica Mauboy appeared out of a FJ Cruiser (Toyota version of the Hummer), You am I and Justice Crew made it a whole lot better. I think they could've got someone else to sing the national anthem though.

I also know it's not necessarily part of the entertainment, but when they were announcing the retired players, I think they should've shown the utes going around the field in 'lap of honor' style rather than just show them on the Hilux's then zoom back up to the commentary box.

If they are not going to have anyone decent (or someone who is not miming), skip the entertainment. Leave the anthem, the retiring players and maybe a montage on the big screen.

Noa

First Grade
They should have let Dan Sultan sing his own stuff, he is very, very good and yesterday was a diservice to his talent.

Pigskin

Juniors
1. I'm fine with the Blackhawk delivering the trophy/cup and a bit of a tribute to our armed forces - this is a tradition that needs to be maintained in my view .... minimal cost

2. An Australian icon - like Jimmy Barnes or John Farnham or maybe even LRB or similar - no promoting them tho, the NRL picks the songs - Working Class Man, Driving Wheels, Khe Sahn (sp?) or Your the Voice, Pressure Down, Age of Reason .... cost - 100k max

3. a big screen video highlighting some of the big hits of the year - minimal cost ... with appropriate music

4. a series of relay races - 2 heats (involving all sides that aren't in the GF) and a final of NRL players - $50k prizemoney with $30k to the winner - must have played 15 NRL games this season to be eligible to participate - the 2 heats at the start of the entertainment and the final at the end ... if a club can't be bothered, leave them out

5. another big screen video highlighting some of the best tries of the year ... minimal cost ... with approriate music

6. I am happy enough with some "young persons" band or singer who has current hits (not that I'd know any of them) ... surely we can get such an act for around the 100k mark again

7. a fair dinkum tribute to the retiring players ... and get them to enter the stadium and do a lap on the back of utes (provided by a car company as advertising in itself, with zero cost) ... must have played 150 games to be in it ... and give them a minute of tribute each with some video on the big screen

8. a headline act - i have no idea how much Lionel Richie cost, but presumably could get such an act for a quarter to half a mill or not much more ... there would have to be somebody of Lionel's quality that fits the bill in the country at the time

9. National Anthem sung by the Ten Tenors or similar ... with a "crowd can sing along" tone to it ... no alternate versions or crap like that ... simple and to the point

10. The sides are on the field for the National Anthem, kickoff must promptly follow

so for not much more than half to three quarters of a million bucks, thats what I'd do ... The AFL continues to outdo the NRL in these types of things, its a joke

does the NRL even have a promotions and marketing department ? surely somebody can organise this stuff ... and yes I'm available to coordinate it for a modest fee

Oink !

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
1. I'm fine with the Blackhawk delivering the trophy/cup and a bit of a tribute to our armed forces - this is a tradition that needs to be maintained in my view .... minimal cost

2. An Australian icon - like Jimmy Barnes or John Farnham or maybe even LRB or similar - no promoting them tho, the NRL picks the songs - Working Class Man, Driving Wheels, Khe Sahn (sp?) or Your the Voice, Pressure Down, Age of Reason .... cost - 100k max

3. a big screen video highlighting some of the big hits of the year - minimal cost ... with appropriate music

4. a series of relay races - 2 heats (involving all sides that aren't in the GF) and a final of NRL players - $50k prizemoney with $30k to the winner - must have played 15 NRL games this season to be eligible to participate - the 2 heats at the start of the entertainment and the final at the end ... if a club can't be bothered, leave them out

5. another big screen video highlighting some of the best tries of the year ... minimal cost ... with approriate music

6. I am happy enough with some "young persons" band or singer who has current hits (not that I'd know any of them) ... surely we can get such an act for around the 100k mark again

7. a fair dinkum tribute to the retiring players ... and get them to enter the stadium and do a lap on the back of utes (provided by a car company as advertising in itself, with zero cost) ... must have played 150 games to be in it ... and give them a minute of tribute each with some video on the big screen

8. a headline act - i have no idea how much Lionel Richie cost, but presumably could get such an act for a quarter to half a mill or not much more ... there would have to be somebody of Lionel's quality that fits the bill in the country at the time

9. National Anthem sung by the Ten Tenors or similar ... with a "crowd can sing along" tone to it ... no alternate versions or crap like that ... simple and to the point

10. The sides are on the field for the National Anthem, kickoff must promptly follow

so for not much more than half to three quarters of a million bucks, thats what I'd do ... The AFL continues to outdo the NRL in these types of things, its a joke

does the NRL even have a promotions and marketing department ? surely somebody can organise this stuff ... and yes I'm available to coordinate it for a modest fee

Oink !

That all sounds like a big yawn to me.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
So you spend half a million dollars on entertainment.... but for what benefit. I highly doubt much of the TV Viewership or Crowd turn up were there for the pre game show.

I thought Mauboy and Justice Crew were a little bit lip synced. You am I and company were enjoyable.

Latest posts