What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grand final entertainment

beave

Coach
and the anthem just tops it off........ oh yeah, Darwin would be proud of that, proud that you ain't singing up there anymore!!!!

christ, I sound like a woman.................

The 18th Man

Juniors
The NRL entertainment on Grand Final Day, in one word, pathetic. The NRL is stuck in the mud when it comes to this aspect of the day and I think they need to have a good look at what they do in the future. It's 2010 and we are still stuck in the early to mid 90s.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought the anthem was actually very good. Ok not hairs on the back of your neck stuff (but then our anthem hardly lends itself to that anyway) but a bit funky with some didge in the background, not bad at all.

The rest was ho hum as we've come to expect.

IanG

Coach
Seems there's simply no pleasing some people.

So if it was up to you who would you have?

griffo346

First Grade
when the roast was on today i loved it as they showed the best of the pre game entertainment and i have to say the 90s was tops except when the comp was the optus cup (what was with the tv then lol)

Nuke

Staff member
I didn't think much of the pre-game entertainment today, I have to say. I watched it, obviously, for the footy, so it didn't matter that much ... however on our biggest stage nationally (live throughout the country I believe - no other League event gets that), all we had to bring in the casual viewers (or their teenage girls?!) was a miming Jessica Mauboy (sp?) singing something like 'Go get 'em girls' (wtf?!), some american-wannabe group doing whatever it was they were doing, before You Am I (which I'll admit I was already out of the room by this time) came out and did 1960's or 70's rock. Relevence to actual League lovers? Minimal at best. When I came back into the room they were singing 'Start Me Up' while Ch9 showed clips of the footy from 2010. I didn't mind this bit.

What do the NRL need to do? How about demographic research? I understand the NRL wants to attract the females to watch, so they're targetting them as well as the younger audience, but I don't think you should do so at the expense of boring the rest of us.
You want a band/singer that's going to get the crowd pumping. Get them cheering and singing just before the teams run out. The atmosphere will feel great at the stadium, and it sounds and looks great on tv, which in turn will look good for the NRL. I've been to GF's where the pre-game show was pretty much aimed at the teeny-bopper girls, and from where I sat, it didn't seem to appeal to the 85,000+ crowds, who clapped politely as they finished. No-one really cared.

I know this would never happen, but how good would it be if the NRL could get AC/DC for the pre-match entertainment?! Okay, I'm dreaming here..!

McLovin

Staff member
Seems there's simply no pleasing some people.

So if it was up to you who would you have?

I would have chosen the acdc cover band i saw at the pub the other week over the fools they had on today...

DubaiSaint

Juniors
... however on our biggest stage nationally (live throughout the country I believe - no other League event gets that),...

More than Nationally mate, I was in Dubai and flabbergasted that the best we can do is a bunch of teenage girls in coloured t-shirts and black leggings running around in an uncordinated fashion like headless chooks.

This thing is broadcasted into lounge rooms and pubs all around the world and it looks like my 11 year old girls dance class is putting on the show!

Nuke

Staff member
I would have chosen the acdc cover band i saw at the pub the other week over the fools they had on today...
Was this the same AC/DC tribute band that The Footy Show had on early in the season? They seemed pretty good. I think their name was 'Acca Dacca' or something like that.

lockyno1

Post Whore
What I don't understand is that the NRL have 3 months to organise something half decent and they come up with absolute rubbish. The AFL have 7 days..and somehow get Lionel Richie who was pretty damn good. Why not go after a bigger name, and think outside Australia! Luckily I knew it was going to be bad so I switched it off after Mauboy!

I've never heard of the girl who sang the anthem or the dancers and I don't think I've ever been so bored at "entertainment" in my life and the only reason I enjoyed You Am I is because I love The Rolling Stones.

Bring back Billy Idol!

Nuke

Staff member
What I don't understand is that the NRL have 3 months to organise something half decent and they come up with absolute rubbish. The AFL have 7 days..and somehow get Lionel Richie who was pretty damn good. Why not go after a bigger name, and think outside Australia! Luckily I knew it was going to be bad so I switched it off after Mauboy!
A very valid point.

cleary89

Coach
Was this the same AC/DC tribute band that The Footy Show had on early in the season? They seemed pretty good. I think their name was 'Acca Dacca' or something like that.

Have seen them. They are worth seeing if you get the chance.

Nuke

Staff member
If they come to Perth I might..! Otherwise, I saw the real AC/DC back in March this year, so I've seen the real thing! That's kinda how I know they'd be great as Grand Final pre-game entertainment. They know how to blow away an entire stadium. The NRL could also put it to them that this would give them huge exposure - around Australia particularly, but also they'd be shown around the world ... not that they really need the money or exposure!

Latest posts