What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final played in Melbourne?

Victoria to tackle NRL in grand final pitch

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/30/2700802.htm
Posted September 30, 2009 14:06:00

Grand final pitch ... future deciders could be played at the MCG (ABC News: Giulio Saggin, file photo)

The Victorian Government will make an audacious bid to poach the NRL grand final.

This year's match between the Melbourne Storm and the Parramatta Eels will be played in Sydney on Sunday.

Victoria's acting premier, Rob Hulls, says future deciders could be played at the MCG.

Mr Hulls denies the bid is a joke.

He says he will raise the matter with the New South Wales Government.
"The New South Wales Government ought to give serious consideration to having future grand finals of the rugby league here in Melbourne," he said.
"If the rugby league grand final was held in Melbourne, the MCG would be absolutely packed and I think the Storm deserves it."

This year will be the Storm's fourth straight appearance in the grand final.
Mr Hulls says the bid is serious.

"Let's not kid ourselves. Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia," he said.

"And what better opportunity to showcase rugby league and Melbourne Storm than to be considering having a grand final here in Melbourne."

What is this f**king clown on?
would they move the AFL grand final to sydney?
Simple answer NO.
f**k off you dirty mexicans and stop trying to steal our game from our home.
you have got your own game and you already pinch one origin game, THAT YOU HAVE JUCK f**kING sh*t TO DO WITH!

Goddo

Bench
Man, Victorians are cocky about being the "sporting capital of the world". Really, they aren't far of Sydney's sporting achievements.

Maybe a one off in Melbourne when they have a decent following of the storm 10 years from now would be good, but anything more is crazy

They always go on about the MCG like its the holy grail of sport "smell the atmosphere" crap, but if you look at the history of the SCG it is just as impressive, it just hasn't been developed as much.

Last edited:

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Not a good idea at all. The only pro's for me personally is not having to fly to Syd and pay for accom, but other than that nothing.

The vic government needs to be more realistic here and concentrate on building up RL in Victoria instead of trying to poach the GF from NSW.
If Melbourne Storm don't make it into the GF then the majority of the crowd will have to come from interstate and I can 't see it selling out at the 'G' at all.

Evenflow

Bench
LOL here we go again

popcorn4jj.gif

Paullyboy

Coach
I find it so frustrating hearing the "sporting capital of Australia" crap roled out. In any Australian team it's bloody hard to find Victorians in it - add to that they have the second biggest population and it makes their claim ridiculous.

God I hate Victoria.

Goddo

Bench
I know... Victorians really rate Melbourne as the center of the universe. Its really wierd. I've never been anywhere in the world that is so full of itself like Melbourne.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
I find it so frustrating hearing the "sporting capital of Australia" crap roled out. In any Australian team it's bloody hard to find Victorians in it - add to that they have the second biggest population and it makes their claim ridiculous.

God I hate Victoria.
:lol: get over it.

adamkungl

Immortal
f**k off Victorian. the NRL GF at the MCG would be sh*thouse. No one would be able to see the bloody game, way too far from the action.

edit: melbourne belle, this isn't directed towards you, its at the knobhead in the article.

Doug2234

First Grade
Well we know why he is actiong Premier... cause he is too f**king stupid to be the Premier!!

What a f**king nob clown. Why would the NSW Goverment just hand the VIC Government the GF.

If they want to swap the Grand Prix one year i may be interested but otherwise dont give a sh*t!

BM-dog

Juniors
He says he will raise the matter with the New South Wales Government.
"The New South Wales Government ought to give serious consideration to having future grand finals of the rugby league here in Melbourne," he said.

Why does he want to raise it with the NSW govt? Isn't this an NRL matter?

eagles4eva

First Grade
If the GF was taken away from Sydney any integrity the NRL hierarchy had would be flushed down the crapper.

BM-dog

Juniors
The NRL and NSW Goverment have an agreement to host the GF until the end of 2012.....
The way he phrases it suggests that he thinks it's the NSW govt's decision where the GF gets played. "The New South Wales Government ought to give serious consideration" etc etc.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
If the NSW government don't want to at least match the Victorians offer in terms of $$$, play it at the MCG

DR.ZOIDBERG

Juniors
hahaha no way, Brisbane should have the GF!!! QLD is where NRL is loved. The day Melbourne get the NRL final is the day Sydney or Brisbane get the AFL final

Doug2234

First Grade
The way he phrases it suggests that he thinks it's the NSW govt's decision where the GF gets played. "The New South Wales Government ought to give serious consideration" etc etc.

They pay $500,000 a year for it to be in Sydney. So i imagine they have some say where it is played why they are contracted to host it. The NRL will follow the money to Melbourne. Its whether the NSW Government void there contract.

So in turn yes the NSW Government has a say why they are contracted with the NRL.

Stupid choice. Why move the GF to the "anus capital of the world" Melbourne - thanks Jerry Seinfeld :)