What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final played in Melbourne?

Bulldog Force

Referee
What is this f**king clown on?
would they move the AFL grand final to sydney?
Simple answer NO.
f**k off you dirty mexicans and stop trying to steal our game from our home.
you have got your own game and you already pinch one origin game, THAT YOU HAVE JUCK f**kING sh*t TO DO WITH!
This guy.... I like ;)

Bulldog Force

Referee
He says he will raise the matter with the New South Wales Government.
:lol: @ Victorian Government thinking that the NSW government will hand it to them on a platter
:lol: @ Victorian Government not mentioning a little governing body called the NRL who get the final say.

Note: This is NOT directed at Melbourne Storm fans or Victorians, just the noob who came up with this brilliant idea. Suncorp will get to host an NRL GF before Melbourne does, and even that is decades away.

Goddo

Bench
"greatest sporting city in the world" why don't they declare something they actually are in Melbourne?
"greatest hole in southern Hemisphere"
"areshole of the world".
Anyone else got some sugestions for Vic tourism?

Drugs, Murder and Corruption: The Perfect Place To Take The Kids.

Come To Victoria To Watch A Game Of Kids Football, You Might Even Get Shot Watching From Your Car.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Why is everyone jumping up and down? It would be great to have cities bidding to host it ala the NFL.

Fuggsake, we don't have to be as insular as the Victorians are. Playing a RL GF on the MCG would be considered sacrilege to most Victorians - do it I say. Be like an unwelcome visitor.

Anything to piss the bastards off is fine by me. Imagine the look on Demetrious face!

Would be the best thing we could ever do.

brad_19

Juniors
I love the anti-Victorian sentiment in this thread. One minute, your all trying to sell your code to us (in my case, it's already sold :p), and the next minute, we're all Victorians, mexicans and reside in the hole of the universe. Geez, the everyday Victorian punter is gonna be really keen to support the NRL if their trawling through these boards...

For what it's worth, I think most should view it as a complement that someone in a position of power in a non-RL city views the NRL GF as a big enough drawcard to try and poach it from it's heartland. Whether or not the comments may seem to be ambitious, at least they may stir up some RL discussion south of the border.

Oh and with regards to the sporting capital of the world comments, it's not in regards to how many participants we have in national sides. It's all to do with the level that we, the public, attend top flight international sport. I think our records pretty good if you ask me, but I'm not here for an argument...

little_aza

Juniors
hahaha..it'll never come to melbourne. but it's nice that we're getting the publicity. $280mil (that's a guess) new stadium plus an audacious bid at the GF..heck soon we'll have the collingwood RLFC.

lol..anyway, fuelling victorian egos thanks to RL cant be a bad thing.

brad_19

Juniors
Oh and just on this topic, I don't think i'd be wise deciding pre-season that a GF would be held in Melbourne, because if the Storm didn't play, the interest wouldn't quite be there (although, I still think we could get 60-70k with the help of some interstate fans, after all, Qld v NSW at the G drew 87k one year!).

I'd be more of a fan of the NRL awarding home state GF's, with the exception being the Warriors due to the lack of suitable stadia in NZ. Considering both Brisbane and Melbourne may be bidding for the GF in future years, perhaps awarding a home GF to the top side would be the way to go, and would guarantee a crowd wherever the match was held...

It would be impossible to award home grandfinals IMO, would be to little time for planning ect.
And I have no problem with selling the game everywhere, I just think the grand final needs to stay in its home city, just like the AFL grandfinal should rightfully be in melbourne, its over 100 yrs of herritage

Goddo

Bench
I am happy about one thing. There is a lot of talk about rugby league outside NSW and QLD at the moment. NZ are talking about it being more entertaining than Union, Melbourne want the grandfinal/have good tv ratings, Perth agitating for a team.

All good news in my opinion, even if a lot of it comes to nothing

I would suggest that the Victorian Government work in conjunction with the Melbourne Storm & commence a promotion similar to "The Greatest Job in the World" (Hamilton Island) and invite the no knowledge Victorians to sign up and assist with this endevour to secure the Rugby League Grand Final rights.

All Victorians deserve to be involved in this ground breaking marketing campaign and they might even win a free trip to Sydney to be part of the team to present the final bid.

Come on Victoria.........you know you want too !

griff

Bench
The reason the World Cup last year made a profit is because various state govts bid quite substantial amounts to host matches.

If we put the NRL GF out to tender it would raise an absolute fortune. Most likely the NSW Govt would feel they have to match the bid to keep the GF, but the more competition the better. More money for the game.

Loudstrat

Coach
I love the anti-Victorian sentiment in this thread. One minute, your all trying to sell your code to us (in my case, it's already sold :p), and the next minute, we're all Victorians, mexicans and reside in the hole of the universe. Geez, the everyday Victorian punter is gonna be really keen to support the NRL if their trawling through these boards...

For what it's worth, I think most should view it as a complement that someone in a position of power in a non-RL city views the NRL GF as a big enough drawcard to try and poach it from it's heartland. Whether or not the comments may seem to be ambitious, at least they may stir up some RL discussion south of the border.

Oh and with regards to the sporting capital of the world comments, it's not in regards to how many participants we have in national sides. It's all to do with the level that we, the public, attend top flight international sport. I think our records pretty good if you ask me, but I'm not here for an argument...
What top flight internatiuo9nal sport, apart from tennis, do you get?

The only sport you are interested in is only cared about in the 4 dying states of Australia ffs!

brad_19

Juniors
What top flight internatiuo9nal sport, apart from tennis, do you get?

The only sport you are interested in is only cared about in the 4 dying states of Australia ffs!

1. The boxing day test, which is the most attended cricket match in the world each year
2. The spring racing carnival, which pulls the biggest crowds for horse racing in Australia - regularly over 100k to the 'big 4'
3. Grand Prix
4. Rugby internationals
5. League internationals
6. State of Origin
7. Big Socceroos matches
8. Probably the biggest pool match in the recent RLWC
9. While on soccer, we have the most attended A-League team, yes, it's not top-flight but still...
10. AFL (yes I know nobody on here cares)
11. Tennis (the grand slam of 'Asia-Pacific' - one of the most heavily attended tennis tournaments in the world)...
12. 2006 cth games

I mean, in all seriousness, bag Melbourne as much as you like but if you don't think our record of big events stacks up at all, then your an idiot. Oh, and I'm not trying to make this a dick-measuring contest. Just responding to your post...

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Brisbane should get one before Melbourne.
BUT if the Victorian government give the NRL enough dollars to make it worthwhile...