What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final TV ratings slightly down

Jason Maher

Immortal
There'd be 3 factors affecting the Melbourne audience:

- the Storm not there for the first time in 5 years;
- compounding this, the salary cap scandal;
- a "hangover", for want of a better word, from the AFL GF replay being on the previous day.

The Brisbane and Sydney audiences won't change much from year to year, no matter who is playing. The only real scope for improvement is the AFL states.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm assuming these ratings don't include regionals?

undertaker

Coach
Yeah, not too much to worry about here. As someone mentioned earlier, the main difference between this year's and last year's GF ratings is the Melbourne figure. As confirmed by the source below, 682000 people watched in Melbourne last year compared to the 221000 people this year. 2,523,000 ppl watched last year compared to 2,091,000 this year:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...a-ratings-winner/story-e6freuz0-1225782913052

Had the Gold Coast made the GF, I can assure that the ratings would have been higher. Interesting, the AFL GF's highest tv ratings were the Sydney vs West Coast matches. So, I guess, it does go to show that having a non-Sydney team in the GF boosts up the ratings (as also seen by the Melbourne/Brisbane GF of 2006). The fact that the Sydney audience only went up by 11,000 this year, despite there being two Sydney teams this year, proves this.

Last edited:

_snafu_

Immortal
Yeah, not too much to worry about here. As someone mentioned earlier, the main difference between this year's and last year's GF ratings is the Melbourne figure. As confirmed by the source below, 682000 people watched in Melbourne last year compared to the 221000 people this year. 2,523,000 ppl watched last year compared to 2,091,000 this year:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...a-ratings-winner/story-e6freuz0-1225782913052

Had the Gold Coast made the GF, I can assure that the ratings would have been higher. Interesting, the AFL GF's highest tv ratings were the Sydney vs West Coast matches. So, I guess, it does go to show that having a non-Sydney team in the GF boosts up the ratings (as also seen by the Melbourne/Brisbane GF of 2006). The fact that the Sydney audience only went up by 11,000 this year, despite there being two Sydney teams this year, proves this.

There's your answer.

docbrown

Coach
No regionals yet. Last year they were about 1.1 million, I suspect will be about the same this year.

Also - anyone else notice there are no ratings for Gem and the 3D channels? 3D might be included in the 9 figures, but Gem shouldn't be (which is what we watched).

Is anyone really surprised that Melbourne ratings are down given that - a) the year the Storm has had b) no team in grand final

The 200,000 odd that watched 2 Sydney clubs is the core Rugby League audience without fringe viewers who want a regular live game (you'd estimate about 75k-150k regularly compared to the AFL's Sydney 25k-100k regularly - which we know).

The audience is there and from what I've heard, Fox have already contacted the communications ministry to pick up the Southern States rights for NEXT YEAR.

Which means 9 will be forced to make a choice - do they give their own product to their competition or do they show it on digital? They will choose the latter.

timka4

Bench
There'd be 3 factors affecting the Melbourne audience:

- the Storm not there for the first time in 5 years;
- compounding this, the salary cap scandal;
- a "hangover", for want of a better word, from the AFL GF replay being on the previous day.

The Brisbane and Sydney audiences won't change much from year to year, no matter who is playing. The only real scope for improvement is the AFL states.
Mm this is what I put it too as well. However I thought the NSW viewership should have been higher.

What was the AFL GF ratings this year?

Snoochies

First Grade
If only those rating could count the number of eyes watching the TV at one time. When the GF was played at night, more people would stay in and not go to a mates house to watch the game meaning the ratings would go up, now with the twilight game many people go to one place to watch the games and make a day of it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-million-viewers/story-e6frep5o-1225933872747

NRL grand final telecast attracts 3.1 million viewers

* October 04, 2010 12:57PM

Source: The Daily Telegraph

MORE than 3.1 million Australians tuned in to watch the St George Illawarra Dragons beat the Sydney Roosters 32-8 in the NRL grand final.

Across the five capital cities, 2.091 million viewers watched St George Illawarra win its first premiership title, with a peak audience of 2.453 million across the Nine Network.

In regional Australia, WIN and NBN attracted an average of 1.108 million (down from the 2009 figure of 1.122million) viewers and a peak audience of 1.395million.

In Sydney, where 82,334 fans packed ANZ Stadium, an average of 1.127 million viewers tuned into the game (2009: 1.119m) which drew a 79.0 pder cent audience share across the free-to-air networks.

In Brisbane, an average of 635,000 fans watched the game, up 18.7 per cent on 2009 (534,885), gaining Brisbane a 78.9 per cent audience share. The Brisbane audience peaked at 742,000.

docbrown

Coach
All of the loss has basically come from Victoria. Anyone really surprised by that?

Shame the Sydney audience wasn't higher, but if it had been a Sydney team other than the Roosters - just being honest - it probably would have been, especially a team like the Tigers. I spoke to a few people during the week who said they didn't care about the game because of the 2 teams involved - neither did I really, but I still watch it. If it had been a Titans final, the ratings would have been around the 3.5 - 3.7 million mark.

If the Storm do well next year, it'll bounce back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...-final-tv-battle/story-e6frf96f-1225933801055

Shows why the NRL has to put its efforts into new markets. NSW TV viewing is static, even with two Sydney teams the audience didn't change and has stayed roughly static for a while now. Increased NRL presence in WA,SA and Vic is a must if it is to maintain its number 1 viewing title. Brisbane also shows it has room to grwo audiences, or at least maintain them at this years level compared to last years.

AFL viewing in non AFl states: 405,000 in Sydney, 375,000 in Brisbane
NRL viewing in non RL states: 221,000 Melbourne viewers tuned in. Adelaide had 33,000 and Perth 75,000.

Get Melb up to 3-400k, Perth up to 150-200k and Adelaide up to 100-150k and we walk all over them.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
If only those rating could count the number of eyes watching the TV at one time. When the GF was played at night, more people would stay in and not go to a mates house to watch the game meaning the ratings would go up, now with the twilight game many people go to one place to watch the games and make a day of it.

Exactly. We had 10 people at our house watching, which we have had for the past 5 years. Then you also get all the people that go to watch at pubs and clubs.

El Diablo

Post Whore
[

that was for the replay

people pick and chose when using AFL ratings

they'll use Syd and Bris figures for the replay but then go and use the first ones figures for overall because it rated higher

it just shows how insular Victorians are and they call themselves the sporting capital

babyg

Juniors
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...-final-tv-battle/story-e6frf96f-1225933801055

Shows why the NRL has to put its efforts into new markets. NSW TV viewing is static, even with two Sydney teams the audience didn't change and has stayed roughly static for a while now. Increased NRL presence in WA,SA and Vic is a must if it is to maintain its number 1 viewing title. Brisbane also shows it has room to grwo audiences, or at least maintain them at this years level compared to last years.

NRL viewing in non RL states: 221,000 Melbourne viewers tuned in. Adelaide had 33,000 and Perth 75,000.

Get Melb up to 3-400k, Perth up to 150-200k and Adelaide up to 100-150k and we walk all over them.

I'm with Perth Red on this one. Need to push harder in those states. Wouldn't surprise me that they didn't even know it was on given the media coverage.

docbrown

Coach
Replay or not 405,000 and 375,000 people in Sydney/Brisbane watched an AFL game.

AFL has had weekly regular season live games into Brisbane and Sydney for fifteen+ years now and only draws anywhere between 25-100k, roughly about 35k-45k average in both metros across the season.

Regular season games at 7:30pm get shown in Melbourne - what - once every two or three years - and have gotten 100k-200k when they've done so - and get a 25k-35k after midnight average - about the same as Sydney's AFL average.

The audience for NRL in Melbourne is bigger than the AFL's in Sydney - and they've had ZERO promotion/help from Nine.

The audience is there and next year they'll be able to watch them on Gem if Fox applies the right pressure.

docbrown

Coach
yet the Swans average well under 100k viewers each week

Lol they wish. That's about their biggest audience.

The average audience divided by 22 games is about 35k-45k - same for Lions in Brisbane.

That's after 15 years of live coverage.

Latest posts