What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final TV ratings slightly down

Paullyboy

Coach
Can you actually apply for one? If so, that's something this forum as a group should look at doing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Damn!

Out of interest do people think Sydney's viewing has reached saturation or that there is more room for growth? Seems that the figure has been quite constant for the last few years. What's Sydneys pop growth and how do we convert these newbies to RL?

DC_fan

Coach
Damn!

Out of interest do people think Sydney's viewing has reached saturation or that there is more room for growth? Seems that the figure has been quite constant for the last few years. What's Sydneys pop growth and how do we convert these newbies to RL?

Perth Red good question you ask.

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney the population in Sydney

2010 4,504,469
2008 4,399,722
2006 4,119,190
2001 3,366,542

So in the last nine years our population has grown 1,137,927. About 33 percent. How many of that increase are people who moved from other states of Australia or from overseas is the question.

It would much harder to convert people from overseas to a game they may never have heard.

If you want to believe the TV ratings 1.127 million people in Sydney watched the grand final. Percentage wise thats aprox 25%. That leaves a lot of Sydney siders who didn't watch the game.

Looking at those figures you would think the game hasn't reached saturation point. But you will never get or even get close to 100 percent of the population viewing the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I notice that the AFL market to new immigrants by using imagery of fans from diverse ethnic backgrounds, including info on AFL in immigration packs etc Also the media has a big part to play, if the media is calling RL Australia's game and encouraging new immigrants to become RL fans to become "Australian" then we would see a change I'm sure.

Yet another area we sadly lag and have no strategy for. Those growth numbers are interesting and when you consider the little growth in crowds or viewers in Sydney it makes you realise how much NRL is missing the boat (no pun intended!).

docbrown

Coach
2010 4,504,469

If you want to believe the TV ratings 1.127 million people in Sydney watched the grand final. Percentage wise thats aprox 25%. That leaves a lot of Sydney siders who didn't watch the game.

It was a 79% share of TV viewers in Sydney - so only 300,000 people in Sydney were watching something else on television. People still have to work/other commitments and other entertainment options.

I'm not a Bears supporter, but bringing them back into the competition will help reengage the North Shore, whilst having the benefit of being located in another city (and playing many away games in Parramatta/Homebush/SFS/Brookvale).

What clubs need to - and what was lost a bit in the 90's - is create that sense of intracity rivalry - that no matter where you are in Sydney, there's a team that represents your area and that to be a true Sydneysider, you need to pick a side. Self promotion of the game occurs at all levels, from talking about it at work and engaging new/fringe viewers, to blasting ads on television and giving away free tickets/merchandise.

Those big games, like Dragons vs Tigers, Bulldogs vs Eels, blockbusters, rivalries and SCG matches need to be well promoted so that regardless of where you live and who you support, you have an opinion on the outcome. They should dominate Sports talk all week.

The NRL is capable of having 700,000 Sydney viewers for regular season games - they just need to make it part of the fabric of life.

docbrown

Coach
I notice that the AFL market to new immigrants by using imagery of fans from diverse ethnic backgrounds, including info on AFL in immigration packs etc Also the media has a big part to play, if the media is calling RL Australia's game and encouraging new immigrants to become RL fans to become "Australian" then we would see a change I'm sure.

Yet another area we sadly lag and have no strategy for. Those growth numbers are interesting and when you consider the little growth in crowds or viewers in Sydney it makes you realise how much NRL is missing the boat (no pun intended!).

Sadly that's the kind of marketing that the NRL is overlooking. They seemed to have claimed the "Australian" tag for their own, and anything that competes or attacks is labelled "Un-Australian".

Edwahu

Bench
Could the Grand Final get much higher NZ ratings if it was on FTA there? It gets good ratings relative to the other shows on Sky but 190k seems a bit low in a country of 4.5 mil. Same would go for the Warriors semis and Origin.

Generalzod

Immortal
The reason why the ratings were down was because St George was playing and people know they play a boring kinda of game....

_Johnsy

Referee
The reason why the ratings were down was because St George was playing and people know they play a boring kinda of game....

32-8 win, we scored 26 unanswered points in pissing down rain in 40min, you must be hard to please; or just very very bitter.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
What about the live sites that were set up in Sydney? I don't think they have been done before they would have taken away tonnes of viewers. Unless the crowds watching them were included in the numbers. Also as it was an all Sydney GF there seemed to be more interest in Sydney than recent GF's with Melbourne most people I know (that didn't go to the game that is) watched the game at pubs etc instead of at home. How are these people counted?

parano1a

Juniors

Bit hard to call RL "Australia's game" when it doesn't get shown on free to air in 4 of the 8 states/territories.

Eels Dude

Coach
What about the live sites that were set up in Sydney? I don't think they have been done before they would have taken away tonnes of viewers. Unless the crowds watching them were included in the numbers. Also as it was an all Sydney GF there seemed to be more interest in Sydney than recent GF's with Melbourne most people I know (that didn't go to the game that is) watched the game at pubs etc instead of at home. How are these people counted?

I don't think that would make a difference. Unless you were a Dragons or Roosters fan the GF plan would be as per normal. I doubt Manly, Tigers or Panthers fans were sitting around thinking "Because it's Dragons v Roosters, two Sydney teams, let's have a massive party at the pub". Ratings for sporting events will always be a bit off centre due to the fact so many people watch at friend's places or at pubs... it's more likely to happen having the GF played at 5pm as it's early enough for people to do that whereas at 7pm that's not so practicle.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade

No thanks, this is horrible.

Brutus

Referee
Bit hard to call RL "Australia's game" when it doesn't get shown on free to air in 4 of the 8 states/territories.

Yes it does.

Rugby league is on free to air all around Australia every week of the footy season.

big country

Juniors
Predictably, nobody in Melbourne cared about a Dragons v Roosters Grand Final. Instead of figures around 700-800k when the Storm were in, less than 250k tuned in.

9 RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL 221,000

7 SEVEN NEWS - SUN 601,000
7 SUNDAY NIGHT 410,000

TEN TEN NEWS AT FIVE SUN 243,000
TEN SPORTS TONIGHT 150,000
TEN THE SIMPSONS 144,000
TEN MODERN FAMILY SUN RPT 222,000
TEN MODERN FAMILY SUN EP 2 RPT 247,000

i dont think many people in australia cared about a dragons v roosters grand final - in the end it turned out to be a massive bore fest that was predicted beforehand anyway :(

eelandia

Juniors
Alot of excuses on here regarding how they measure TV ratings. Same excuses that the ruggers use when trying to defend the few that watch the Wallabies play. I'm sure there were just as many AFL fans collectively watching the game at pubs or parties, or is it only League fans that are socially progressive?

At the end of the day, they are so close you or advertisers would be hard pressed to split them on TV ratings alone.

franklin2323

Immortal
Alot of excuses on here regarding how they measure TV ratings. Same excuses that the ruggers use when trying to defend the few that watch the Wallabies play. I'm sure there were just as many AFL fans collectively watching the game at pubs or parties, or is it only League fans that are socially progressive?

At the end of the day, they are so close you or advertisers would be hard pressed to split them on TV ratings alone.

AFL was prob down from a true figure also. The amount of people with no work the next day that would of gone to a pub, club or BBQ to watch it have a few drink with mates. Prob double the figure for both codes.

If they counted regionals the big difference would come then. ACT, NSW and Qld country have more then the AFL state regional but they aren't counted stupidly

I don't see why you can't log on to a website with a password and using a dropdown menu answer what you watched. It would be more accurate then this useless way of doing things.

Does anyone here actually believe Masterchef and packed to the Rafters was watched by more then the SOO or Gf's??? You wouldn't have a rafters or a masterchef party

Latest posts