What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final TV ratings slightly down

IllawarraGiant

Juniors
...we lost by 500,000? - that cant possibly be right.

If Melb were down by 350,000 ... where is the other 150,000? This was the biggest GF for a long while I would have throught?

Canard

Immortal
...we lost by 500,000? - that cant possibly be right.

If Melb were down by 350,000 ... where is the other 150,000? This was the biggest GF for a long while I would have throught?

It wasn't "that" big to fans of other teams to be honest. It was on par with every other GF.

bobmar28

Bench
You always rant El D.
I hate it when people always compare to AFL on this board. It comes across as sour grapes.
It's a NRL forum. Forget about other sports ratings, it's an NRL issue and nothing to do with the AFL.

This whole thread is about comparing NRL ratings to AFL.

Canard

Immortal
You can't expect to have no exposure of the sport all year then great ratings for the GF.

We need NRL on during respectable hours in Melbourne to build an audience, Im happy even it was shown on a 1/2 hour delay, 9.30pm would be fine, but 12.25am at the moment on a Friday and 4am on Monday morning isn't going to build any sort of audience.

Evenflow

Bench
How about every pub or club in Sydney. Count them. A reasonable sized pub would have 50 people minimum watching the GF.

We can't rely on those sorts of things to get us ahead of the AFL numbers because they'd have exactly the same problem of not having the people in pubs and bbq's counted in Melbourne either, not to mention SA, WA and other AFL territories as well so they cancel each other out. The facts are the only way they count the numbers is by the ratings boxes and they're the only numbers that matter

Noa

First Grade
Id say what happened to Melbourne this year rather then them not making it had more of an impact in tard city. Certainly the GF's before 06 got healthy ratings from memory. Also alot of potential viewers were probably asleep from the day before.

betcats

Referee
because any game the dragons win is boring as batsh*t to everyone but there fans. Congrats to them but.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Predictably, nobody in Melbourne cared about a Dragons v Roosters Grand Final. Instead of figures around 700-800k when the Storm were in, less than 250k tuned in.

Maybe they can look to find some sort of way to try to get Melbourne in the Grand Final every year :sarcasm:

Brutus

Referee
You can't expect to have no exposure of the sport all year then great ratings for the GF.

We need NRL on during respectable hours in Melbourne to build an audience, Im happy even it was shown on a 1/2 hour delay, 9.30pm would be fine, but 12.25am at the moment on a Friday and 4am on Monday morning isn't going to build any sort of audience.

Excellent point.

franklin2323

Immortal
honestly how many people throughout sydney wuda had about 20 people watching one tv

This is why ratings are useless. I had about 30 people watching it at mine. On GEM for the HD not counting in the ratings. THe 2 live sites and Hoyts 3d aren't counted either so it's useless to use ratings

gottabegood

Juniors
This is why ratings are useless. I had about 30 people watching it at mine. On GEM for the HD not counting in the ratings. THe 2 live sites and Hoyts 3d aren't counted either so it's useless to use ratings

I always wondered if the the NRL and AFL took this issue up in their contracts.

Some of the historical big rating programs like say master chef or even say Australian open tennis final with an an Aussie would not get the similar effect that NRL and AFL can provide.

Pubs and clubs and family/friend get togethers are the norm (i was with 13 people in one house).

You would think that the actual eyes watching the game would destroy these programs. I can't imagine 4 or 5 families traveling to one home to watch Master Chef....or going to the local.....

And Rugby League also has the 3 state of origins.

.....anyway

sallymay

Juniors
maybe they could start playing games live into melbourne instead of 6 hours after the game and pretending its live it may also help if the nrl and channel nine didnt treat members and storm supporters like sh*t

Perth Red

Post Whore
I always wondered if the the NRL and AFL took this issue up in their contracts.

Some of the historical big rating programs like say master chef or even say Australian open tennis final with an an Aussie would not get the similar effect that NRL and AFL can provide.

Pubs and clubs and family/friend get togethers are the norm (i was with 13 people in one house).

You would think that the actual eyes watching the game would destroy these programs. I can't imagine 4 or 5 families traveling to one home to watch Master Chef....or going to the local.....

And Rugby League also has the 3 state of origins.

.....anyway

everyone knows the sample methodology for TV viewing is ridiculous and not representative at all, something like 0.003% of the population have boxes. (I worked out that I have 10 mates who I know watched the GF in Perth last weekend. Non have boxes, if all did have the viewing figure would have been well over 100K!).

Instead everyone buries their head in the sand and lets the media talk them up to give them a sense of validity. Why businesses base serious $'s of adveretising spending on them is well beyond me.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Why businesses base serious $'s of adveretising spending on them is well beyond me.

Because it's the best that they have got.

Question: How much weight does the GF rating have in determining a TV contract's worth? Probably less than one would think. The average throughout the year would be much more important to a TV exec given the GF rating depends heavily on who is playing in it, something that can't be determined when the contracts are signed (though I guess this apsect could be factored into the equation by considering odds for certain combinations of teams to appear in the finals).

This said, the biggest ratings come when at least one team from outside traditional states playoff. The odds of this occuring are about even in both competitions at present with both AFL and NRL having two teams outside traditional areas (well, only one really for the NRL), though the probability will double for AFL in the next two years with the addition of their two new teams.

The fact that the two GFs are generally on par with each other means all the squabbling about the highest figure is largely a waste of energy.

Sidenote: odd Andrew Demetriou Fact: Andrew Demetriou has factories in Brazil and India which manufacture dental products and export them to 70 markets, including Australia.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
I've often had the passing thought that I should apply to get one of those OzTam box things for my house here in Perth. Every League show that comes on, I'd have the tv on.

Thing is, I'd also feel like my privacy is being invaded - a feeling I don't like!
For that major reason, I doubt I'd ever do it, however if I did do it, I'd be curious as to how much the Perth ratings would increase because of little ol' me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've often had the passing thought that I should apply to get one of those OzTam box things for my house here in Perth. Every League show that comes on, I'd have the tv on.

Thing is, I'd also feel like my privacy is being invaded - a feeling I don't like!
For that major reason, I doubt I'd ever do it, however if I did do it, I'd be curious as to how much the Perth ratings would increase because of little ol' me.

haha, we should get a few of us together Nuke and all get one. NRL viewing figures in WA would go through the roof! I think I worked it out that for every box that tunes in they say it represents about 5-7,000 people!

Latest posts